Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 PM
In general, how old are the mice sold at PetSmart?

After my late rate, Jupiter, died, I decided to try out another kind of rodent; mice. Two weeks ago I got three male mice: Bernie, Gunther (anyone catch were those to names come from?) and Otto. Otto succumbed to some sort of respiratory issue two days after I brought them home (got a refund from Petsmart) and the other two appear to be happy and healthy.

Recently I noticed the one with a black face, Gunther, was starting to grey a little and look, well, "worn". Sort of like how an old dog looks. Not sick or anything, he still greets me with a squeak and runs on his well, climbs me and does all of his normal activities.

Every night I put him and Bernie in a large open plastic tote (about 2X2) with tons of stuff to climb, chew and go into/under, that's were he is in the picture.

Here is a pic from a week ago. Can any rodent experts guess his age?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/696/22...cf97207a_k.jpg
Old 12-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Unless they breed the mice themselves I doubt there's a specific age or that anyone is keeping close track of the ages of the mice. They probably get them from somewhere else, and there may be no quality control to select only mice of a certain age.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
I'd guess the little guy is over a year old.

Really cute.

Have you tried hooded rats?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I'd guess the little guy is over a year old.

Really cute.

Have you tried hooded rats?
Only the Dumbos. What are the Hooded one's like?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM
I was always under the impression those mice were meant to be snake food.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
Recently I noticed the one with a black face, Gunther, was starting to grey a little and look, well, "worn". Sort of like how an old dog looks. Not sick or anything, he still greets me with a squeak and runs on his well, climbs me and does all of his normal activities.
I don't know about PetSmart specifically, but mice tend to hit the market around 4-6 weeks of age.

Gunther looks fine to me; his eyes are clear and his ears and other exposed skin looks smooth and supple. It's normal for mice (especially males) to get a little scruffy as they hit adulthood (their fur seems to get greasier once they reach sexual maturity); I doubt he's more than 3-4 months old. Older male mice smell powerfully of, well, male mice; if he doesn't smell much then he's probably not that old.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Brown View Post
I don't know about PetSmart specifically, but mice tend to hit the market around 4-6 weeks of age.

Gunther looks fine to me; his eyes are clear and his ears and other exposed skin looks smooth and supple. It's normal for mice (especially males) to get a little scruffy as they hit adulthood (their fur seems to get greasier once they reach sexual maturity); I doubt he's more than 3-4 months old. Older male mice smell powerfully of, well, male mice; if he doesn't smell much then he's probably not that old.
He does have that distinctive eu de male mouse smell.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
After my late rate, Jupiter, died, I decided to try out another kind of rodent; mice. Two weeks ago I got three male mice: Bernie, Gunther (anyone catch were those to names come from?) and Otto.
So where does the name Otto come from? What name are you saving for that pet porcupine you've always been wanting?
Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Who knew people bought them as pets? Hmm.

Count me in on the "snake food" crowd.

Me? Couldn't handle a snake, and I snap a few of those little mouse necks every year around this time. They never learn.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
You expect them to learn after you've snapped their necks?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Well, not the one's who've met their demise.

But the ones that follow. I might set out 4 traps, right next to each other, and that second and third mouse should see what happened to their buddy.

That is probably too much to ask from a mouse brain. Although squirrels are much more clever than your basic deer, which means squirrels have better schools, or deer have a brain the size of a blueberry.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
Well, not the one's who've met their demise.

But the ones that follow. I might set out 4 traps, right next to each other, and that second and third mouse should see what happened to their buddy.

That is probably too much to ask from a mouse brain. Although squirrels are much more clever than your basic deer, which means squirrels have better schools, or deer have a brain the size of a blueberry.

Umm, dude- the OP is concerned about his little pets. Perhaps you could take your tales of mouse killing to another thread?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
mmmm, deer and blueberries.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
So where does the name Otto come from? What name are you saving for that pet porcupine you've always been wanting?
All three (well, Bernie and Gunther are named after Bernie Gunther from the Berlin Noire series) and Otto is just Otto. I needed something to go along with the theme.

Bernie is not doing well. He has a small rectal prolapse and we can't find an emergency vet that treats mice (it's Sunday, so no regular vets open today). Hopefully he make's it till tomorrow when I can take him in.

The porcupine will be named "Spike". But that's only after the dogs, cats, chickens, goats, parakeets and mice are gone.

Seriously though, after the mice are gone I'm just going to stick with rats. More durable.