Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
We're moving: Share your experiences w/U-Haul, Penske, Budget?

We need to rent a moving truck, probably in the 16-17-ft range, for a 300-mile move. We hope for an easy 6-hr drive.

Any recommendations, or dis-recs, re U-Haul, Penske, and/or Budget?

It appears that Penske has the best reputation; U-Haul the worst.

The below U-Haul stories are fr/2007--Don't know if they've improved since then.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun...tion/na-haul25
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep...cal/me-uhaul16
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun...tion/na-haul24
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun.../na-haulride24

Thanks for info--
Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I've used U-Haul and Ryder in the past without any major issues. Get the biggest truck you can drive and afford, you have more stuff than you think and it's not easy to get packed in a truck. These places have problems getting the trucks back sometimes so if you try to stick to a tight schedule the truck may not be available when you want it. That could happen to any of them. Try to find a place that can show you the actual truck you'd be using so you can make sure it's in good condition.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Last move was about 10 years ago with Penske. At the time they had a decent discount for AAA members that was much greater than the cost of a AAA membership. If it still exists, it could save you a few dollars and get you a AAA membership.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:51 PM
I used Budget from Vegas to Reno. Rates were the cheapest and drop-off location closest. Had no problems on either end. Truck was reasonable and ran fine. When I dropped it off, they didn't even look at it. I made them give me a release saying it was returned okay.

My only advice is figure closely what size truck you need, then get the next bigger size. I swear, if the truck I rented was 1/2 inch shorter, I would not have made it! The big, square stuff goes in neatly, but the odd-ball shit eats space up big time. I had to get very creative at the end.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01 PM
UHaul fucking sucks. They jerk you around and then, they only give you a very finite time to have the van. When we did an intown move, they rescheduled on us! and then when we got the van, gave us only 8 hours. That sucked. I hate them and would gladly try one of the others next time.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Charter Member
U-Haul will quote a low price for a rental. That price is not what you'll actually pay. You're going to have to pay for insurance on the truck (which they will hard-sell you on by virtually promising that if you don't buy it, they'll find something wrong with the truck that "wasn't there before" and bill you for it.) You'll have to pay to refill the tank, and heaven help you if the needle is a micrometer to the left of where it was when you picked it up or they'll bill you for the price of the difference plus a "service charge" for the effort it took them to refill it. If you use the dolly that's zip-tied to the inside of the truck, they'll bill you for that. You'll be required to put down a deposit on the truck which is considerably higher than the quoted rate, and it'll take them a good long time to actually bother refunding you the difference.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Penske does seem best on average, but what really matters is when the rubber meets the road at the local shop. You might get a nearly-new truck at U-Haul, or Penske may toss you the keys to a clapped-out beater that won't even get up to 50 MPH. All trucks are new at some point in their life, and from there, it comes down to how they're used, abused and maintained. Get prices, roll the dice...

Things to consider... U-Haul's trucks are built for residential moving with low floors. Last I looked, Budget and Penske rent regular commercial trucks with significantly higher decks. Yes, there's a ramp with all three brands, but that extra 18" or so inches each time you go in and out of the truck will add up on your legs. On the other hand, the "penalty" for U-Haul's lower floors is the wheel wells intrude into the loading space. Higher-decked trucks have completely flat floors end to end and side to side.

Most U-Haul trucks have a cage at the door containing moving pads and dolly. It steals space in the truck, and someone will mash their elbow into it at least once.

Be aware of what the truck runs on. Most U-Hauls run on gas, but most of the other guys' trucks run on diesel. Regardless, they probably will burn more than you expect, unless you're expecting to get 5 MPG. The "up to" figures on the websites are for new trucks with nothing in them.

Be VERY certain of the truck height vs the gas station canopy when you stop for fuel. Similarly, watch out for tree branches at your loading and unloading sites. A "simple" scratch can cost you dearly, and hitting an overhead structure like at the gas station will be devastatingly expensive.

Last edited by gotpasswords; 12-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:48 PM
U-Haul has no idea what's going on within their own company. The truck broke down in our driveway. I was on the phone with them for hours to be sure we weren't charged, etc. It took them two days despite a number of calls pleading with them to get their POS out of our driveway. The police showed up because U-Haul had reported it stolen. Then they charged my card for the extra two days. Finally, they got the thing. I spent more time on the phone with them fruitlessly and ended up having my credit card company do a chargeback on the charges for the two days it sat in our driveway because they wouldn't come get it.

Never again.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I rented a U-Haul truck to move a load of stuff from Florida to the SanFran Bay area. I reserved a 17' truck. When I went to pick it up, it was a 15'. "No 17 footers in the whole state!" Yeah. Thing is, a U-Haul 15' isn't a 15', it's a 12'. The truck has a little space that extends the box over the cab. They call it "moms attic" or some cutesy wootsey bullshit. They count that into the length of the truck, even though it can't be fully utilized like the main box. I had to work like the devil to get 17' worth of stuff in a 12' truck.
Then there was the flat tire. Morning after I picked it up, the inner rear tire on the drivers side was flat. I pumped it up and drove to the dealer. "Well, we can get another truck in a couple days." I pointed out to them that the wheel can be removed. You know, all those pretty little bolts in a circle. They couldn't do that. I wasn't going to unload the whole damn truck and reload it into another one of dubious quality. I filled the flat full of flat fixer, kept it pumped up and didn't mention it on the other end. (by the way, their "full coverage" insurance doesn't cover tires or the roof of the box.)
NEVER USE U-HAUL IF YOU HAVE ANY OPTION.
I've used Budget before, they were great.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
Penske does seem best on average, but what really matters is when the rubber meets the road at the local shop. You might get a nearly-new truck at U-Haul, or Penske may toss you the keys to a clapped-out beater that won't even get up to 50 MPH. All trucks are new at some point in their life, and from there, it comes down to how they're used, abused and maintained. Get prices, roll the dice...

Things to consider... U-Haul's trucks are built for residential moving with low floors. Last I looked, Budget and Penske rent regular commercial trucks with significantly higher decks. Yes, there's a ramp with all three brands, but that extra 18" or so inches each time you go in and out of the truck will add up on your legs. On the other hand, the "penalty" for U-Haul's lower floors is the wheel wells intrude into the loading space. Higher-decked trucks have completely flat floors end to end and side to side.

Most U-Haul trucks have a cage at the door containing moving pads and dolly. It steals space in the truck, and someone will mash their elbow into it at least once.

Be aware of what the truck runs on. Most U-Hauls run on gas, but most of the other guys' trucks run on diesel. Regardless, they probably will burn more than you expect, unless you're expecting to get 5 MPG. The "up to" figures on the websites are for new trucks with nothing in them.

Be VERY certain of the truck height vs the gas station canopy when you stop for fuel. Similarly, watch out for tree branches at your loading and unloading sites. A "simple" scratch can cost you dearly, and hitting an overhead structure like at the gas station will be devastatingly expensive.
Movers on either end to load and unload the truck can be amazingly affordable. They are also be amazingly quick and efficient--professionals can fit twice as much stuff in in half as much time, which may be the difference between having the truck one day or two. And, oh my god, unpacking is so much less unpleasant when you aren't tired, sore and bruised from loading/unloading.

Actually, as a compromise, just hiring movers to load is the best thing. Unloading isn't quite as bad, if you aren't beat up from loading.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I used Penske for a cross-country move 10 years ago. I was impressed with how painless it was. Clean truck, easy drop off, no Uhaul bullshit.

ETA: I should mention that I hired some local movers to load the truck--best money I ever spent. All the online reviews mentioned this one guy by name and he proved to be a wizard fitting things in.

Last edited by Bonaventure; 12-02-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member
Over the years I've used them all and never had any problems.

The company I had a problem with was 2 Mentals and a Truck. I know a lot of people who had good experiences with them, but I didn't.

Sounds like you won't need that kind of service, though.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Penske is great. Haven't tried the others because I tried Penske first. Have used them three times now.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I will warn you that both Budget and UHaul have substituted different truck sizes on me without prior notice. This last time I moved, Budget gave me a smaller truck than requested (14' instead of 17') and I ended up having to make 2 trips and pay the movers more as a result. I would recommend calling the actual location you'll be picking the truck up from and press them as to whether they regularly have the size you want in stock. Even then, they won't promise you anything.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
U-Haul sucks donkey balls. They tried to rent me a truck with a tire that had a big chunk of tread missing, right down to the steel belt.

Ryder and Penske are reliable.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
I rented a U-Haul truck to move a load of stuff from Florida to the SanFran Bay area. I reserved a 17' truck. When I went to pick it up, it was a 15'. "No 17 footers in the whole state!" Yeah. Thing is, a U-Haul 15' isn't a 15', it's a 12'. The truck has a little space that extends the box over the cab. They call it "moms attic" or some cutesy wootsey bullshit. They count that into the length of the truck, even though it can't be fully utilized like the main box. I had to work like the devil to get 17' worth of stuff in a 12' truck.
I had the opposite issue with Penske. It was years ago just out of college. I reserved a 12ish foot box truck to move my crap to an as yet unseen 650 sq ft apartment. But when I got to the Penske place all they had left were 25ish ft monsters. Driving on unfamiliar roads in a giant truck isn't that much fun, and neither is maneuvering through a tiny parking lot with a truck you aren't used to.

On the plus side there was no tetris involved, my stuff only covered 2/3 of the floor with nothing stacked at all.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Actually, as a compromise, just hiring movers to load is the best thing. Unloading isn't quite as bad, if you aren't beat up from loading.
Depends on the distance and conditions. Driving some much larger than you are used to 2200 miles in November will kick your ass mentally pretty damn hard.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 PM
I used U-haul a little over 5 years ago. It was a good experience for me. The website helped me set up movers at both ends of the move and it was very affordable. The movers were mostly well reviewed and I found them to be very helpful.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I used U-haul a little over 5 years ago. It was a good experience for me. The website helped me set up movers at both ends of the move and it was very affordable. The movers were mostly well reviewed and I found them to be very helpful.
Apparently, based on the rest of the feedback in this thread, this is a good user name/post combo.

I have only used U-Haul for small local rentals (pickup or van). I find the service and selection of trucks varies wildly from one location to the next. The worst was some auto repair place that did U-Haul as a sideline. They only had a few trucks, and they were closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday so you couldn't return on a weekend day. Fortunately there are other places not too far away. I really only use U-Haul because there are a lot more of them around here than any of the others.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 PM
born to be shunned
Since JarTran folded pretty much I've gone over to U-Haul and never had any real issues. I usually try to avoid the smaller outlets but even there the biggest complaint I've had is some of the vehicles (especially vans) being pretty dirty inside when I picked them up.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Way back in the '70s I remember we lived for a time in a rental while our new home was being built. When the house was completed we were ready to move-in. Dad rented a van, but Uhaul gave him an open flat-bed with rails. I remember he was furious, but they told him "take it or leave it". We moved our stuff out in the open.

Fast forward to my move from the Bay Area to the Sacramento area 15 years ago, with my dad's experience on my mind, I rented a large truck from Uhaul (I don't remember the size), and we were told that size was not available, so they gave us 2 smaller trucks for the move. Worked-out OK, I guess, but I had to recruit one of my move helpers for driving the other van.

Rented from Uhaul again in 2011 - a small trailer towed by a pickup - no problems with the rental or return.

If I had to move today I would definitely check the others and probably hire movers.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:33 PM
When my husband and I moved from the Chicago area to Denver, his company paid for movers and their services. Most of our stuff went that way. But we also had to move some ourselves as we hadn't yet found a house and had signed a 6-month lease on an apartment so we'd have some time to house hunt without pressure. We rented a 10-foot (if I remember correctly) truck and a dolly to haul our car. We could probably have gotten a trailer to pull, but didn't want the wear and tear on our car. We had the following issues with U-Haul:

1 - The truck was not available until 3 full days after the day we'd reserved it for. We had to incur the cost of a hotel room for those days as the bulk of our furniture was already on the truck headed for Denver, and the bed we had left had been dissasembled.

2 - When we arrived in Denver, had unloaded the truck, and were ready to return it, we were told by the U-Haul staff that they were not allowed to unload our car from the dolly, even though the staff at the U-Haul at home had loaded it up for us. We had no idea how to do it, it was pitch dark outside, and the fool U-Haul people just stood there and let us struggle.

I would probably use U-Haul again, if needed, but I would approach the experience with considerably less naivete this time.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Uhaul does tend to be the cheapest option. They also tend to suck. They have better response times for broken down trucks, almost like they are prepared for them to break.

I've always been happy with Penske, They do have less locations so they don't always have a good option for a one way move.

I have no experience with Budget.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 PM
I would recommend uHaul only for in-town moves if you have a low budget. Penske and Budget are much more reliable vehicles for longer trips. I've stopped to help several uHaul families on the road with a broken down vehicle and only one Budget van. I shared driving a Penske van from L.A. to the midwest and we had no problems with the van, but it was more than twice the cost of the uHaul quote. But worth it I think.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Trucks larger than pickups hate me.

Every single time I get behind the wheel, something dies.
This is about Budget.
I needed to haul stuff larger than my pickup.
I contacted Budget. Of course I bought the 'additional insurance' - as I told the agent, I want everything covered.
This one got the top crumpled on a low-overhead passage.
No problem, it's covered, right?
No. This damage is not covered

Here's the kicker: this is such a rare occurrence, the claim form has drawings of every major 'Box Damaged by Overpass' - crumpled at the top, peeled all the way back, etc.

IOW: a common enough accident to have these drawings on the form, but it is *Not Covered* by the $250.00 insurance.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Ryder. Why? Lift gate, enough said.

Unfortunately, pennultimate time I moved (FL to MD) I couldn't get a one way rental. Penske has the same quality of truck, without the lift gate. Uhaul is only OK for in town moves. Budget is OK, somewhere in between.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 AM
Does the OP have a lot of friends who can help with the move?

Also why not just sell everything? I've known people who sold everything in their home except their clothes and just bought new when they moved.

In my experience after long days of boxing stuff up and finding stuff still boxed up from the last time you moved 5 years ago, you wonder why the heck you have the stuff?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:54 AM
I've used Uhaul a bunch. I typically buy the insurance anyway, because I'm not used to driving those bad boys.. and I have, actually, crunched up the top of one running into a carport. So I factor in that cost.

They will also charge you per mile, and you have to stop and gas up before you return it. I use google to figure out my mileage, and can generally nail it within 5 miles or so.. so I have a good idea before I start what my total bill will be.

I've never had a truck break down or anything, and getting in and out isn't typically a problem. I always try to get them from UHaul facilities, and not mom and pop gas station who happens to do UHaul.

I don't know that I would say I *recommend* them over another service, but I don't have a horror story to go along with UHaul. Its always seemed to go as I would expect it should.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Do check prices for all -- some may charge over twice as much as others for comparable size trucks.

Do hire guys to load and unload the truck -- they are strong and amazingly fast; they do this every day and are good at it.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Charter Member
My experience is that U-Haul is significantly cheaper but, as a result, you're more likely to encounter poor service. Keep in mind, the quality of the equipment and service can vary widely from one outlet to another.

One obvious tip: Always inspect the vehicle completely before driving off with it. Look all over, inside and outside, for any dents, scratches, or other damages and make sure the company acknowledges they existed before you rented the vehicle.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member
I rented a Penske truck three weeks ago for a cross-country one-way move as part of settling an estate.

Not a problem.

Set it up online. Got an online discount. Used my AAA membership card; they tacked on another discount. Within 24 hours Corporate called me with a confirmation. A real live human. The place I was to pick up the truck called me a week in advance to further confirm. A real live human.

The day I picked up the truck, the paperwork was a snap. (I opted for most of the optional insurance; it was going to be a cross-country trip!) Out the door in 15 minutes and personal walk-around with my truck (which had magically appeared out front while I was inside doing the paperwork). I took pictures, inside and out, of all angles of the truck (don't forget the tire treads of all four tires!) as we did the walk around. (Every time I rent a vehicle I take pictures before I even get behind the wheel and drive off. Trust me on this. It's free insurance you hope you never need.)

I played it safe. I never let the tank get below half full. Using the GasBuddy app in my smartphone I knew ahead of time exactly where I was stopping for fuel the entire trip. I paid cash at every stop so as to avoid credit card skimmers. Every time I refueled I checked all of the tires, mirrors and cleaned the windshield, lights (front and back).

The truck performed as expected. No issues. No problems. I arrived three days ahead of my eight-day time limit (covered 2,200 miles). The sign-off went faster than when I picked up the truck.

I researched Penske, UHaul, Budget for this trip. I also looked into ABF UPack and Pods. Driving my own was going to be cheaper and I would be in control. (I might consider ABF UPack for something, but never Pods. Pods will scam you, every time.)

• I used UHaul in the past. Crap. Seems they haven't changed.
  • Budget didn't fit my requirements and contacting them proved worthless.
  • Penske was upfront and helpful from Day One.
  • (Addendum. Never, ever rent from Home Despot for a local move of stuff. That promised $20.00 for 75 minutes of basic use is really $100.00 or more.)

Penske did not disappoint.

Last edited by Duckster; 12-03-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM
I've found it depends very much on the local branch you're renting from and/or dropping off at (if it's one-way, which I'd imagine is the OP's case), no matter who is the parent company.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan
I have never had a positive experience with U-Haul and know of no one who has, and many of my negative experiences were of absolutely comical proportion. If there is a successful company with worse customer service I have never encountered it.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:51 PM
How much cost saving is it to move yourself vs. hiring a moving line for a move between cities?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Another vote for Penske. Extremely easy to deal with on my last cross-country move. 24 foot truck and a car dolly. All equipment as reserved, on time. Easy to add an extra day or two when I needed it. Easy return.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
I've used rental trucks multiple times over the years for medium-long moves and only had a serious problem once - with Penske.

Their truck developed an electrical problem in the course of a move from Kentucky to Texas, finally breaking down completely on a godforsaken stretch of Route 59 in northeast Texas, far from food and water. Along with my faithful small spaniel Bubba, I had to trek a considerable distance in order to knock on the door of a suspicious hermit, risking injury at the hands of his baying hounds (who especially didn't like Bubba). He grudgingly let me use his phone to call for help (this was in pre-cellphone days) and the local garage at Penske's behest fixed the problem and got me back on the road the next morning (the less said about the motel they gave me a lift to, the better).

On the other hand I can't recall anything bad about U-Haul in all the times I used them, apart from once getting stopped by cops on the Interstate because I had a taillight go out. Their trucks were available as promised and I was able to get any supplies I needed. The only off-note about U-Haul was, and is, their motto. Who the hell wants "Adventure in Moving"?

Dull and predictable is what you hope for.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm the OP--thx for excellent info--

Our final "official" day in current apt is Thursday Dec 31. But owner will give us a few extra days, thru Sunday Jan 3 at latest.

U-Haul does seem to have a terrible reputation--
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Charter Member
I've used both U-Haul and Rider. Both were pretty bad, but U-Haul was the worst.

If I ever move again, I will get one of these: http://pods.com/moving.aspx
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
There are options other than U-Haul, Penske or Budget. Enterprise, for instance, rents trucks. And there might be a local company that does so as well. We used one at one company where I worked because we needed a truck with a liftgate and U-Haul didn't have those.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treis
How much cost saving is it to move yourself vs. hiring a moving line for a move between cities?
It really depends on how much stuff you have, how far you're going and your willingness to work at it. We moved cross-country two years ago, and for our volume of stuff, we were primarily looking at four options:

Three PODS containers
Most or all of an ABF U-pack trailer
A 26 foot rental truck and the largest available box trailer to tow with our pickup
Professional movers

The delivery service is pretty slick and the containers are a snap to load with their ground-level floors, but PODS is crazy expensive. For our move back then, the cost was $11,500

U-Pack was a bit less, but the spectre of having to horse the contents of a four bedroom house, including a piano, large appliances, etc up the ramp was daunting and not enough cheaper than PODS to be worth the extra labor.

Rental truck and trailer was cheaper, but not cheap once we factored in the cost of fuel at an optimistic 5 MPG. Plus there's the unknown factor of wondering if that beaten-up rental is going to break down in the middle of Nowhere, Texas. It also would have required both of us to drive 100% of the time. Cost in 2013 for us would be about $6500.

For us, packing everything and hiring movers to load and transport it all came to be the best option at $8500. We were pleasantly surprised to find professional movers were more expensive than UHaul, but cheaper than PODS. We did have to pack everything and have furniture ready for them to wrap and grab, but we'd have to do that with PODS or UHaul anyway. We also wound up selling our washer/dryer and range as it was cost-effective to replace them vs moving them as movers charge by the pound. Their estimator came out and eyeballed the heck out of everything and decided we had 12,000 pounds of stuff. No idea what the actual weight was.

At the end of the loading, we were perhaps emotionally worn, but we weren't physically beaten up. For the cross-country drive, we were able to switch off now and then.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
U-Haul will quote a low price for a rental. That price is not what you'll actually pay. You're going to have to pay for insurance on the truck (which they will hard-sell you on by virtually promising that if you don't buy it, they'll find something wrong with the truck that "wasn't there before" and bill you for it.) You'll have to pay to refill the tank, and heaven help you if the needle is a micrometer to the left of where it was when you picked it up or they'll bill you for the price of the difference plus a "service charge" for the effort it took them to refill it. If you use the dolly that's zip-tied to the inside of the truck, they'll bill you for that. You'll be required to put down a deposit on the truck which is considerably higher than the quoted rate, and it'll take them a good long time to actually bother refunding you the difference.
This is exactly what happened to our ex-housemates when they moved up here from MD last year. They hadn't taken any of these fees into account when they reserved their truck because they either weren't aware of them or weren't told. It was a rather ugly scene when they returned the truck
Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 PM
I used U Haul once. Well I tried. I needed a trailer that day to move a transformer. My son looked on line with U Haul to reserve the trailer, if it became avable. At 5:50 he got a text message that one was being held for us at the U Haul in San Jose. We jumped into my pick up and headed to U Haul. Called to tell them we would be coming in. Pulled into the lot at exactly 6:00 PM on a Friday night. An employee let us into the yard as another employee went back to the office and locked the door. The 1st employee went to his car and drove away. After looking at the trailer to b e sure it would work and no employee came out to help us we went to the office and found the door locked. After pounding on the door a employee came out the door and locked behind himself, and told us that the employee inside would be with us in a few minutes. And he left. In a few minutes the last employee came out and said they were closed and we should come back tomorrow morning. Problem was our plan was to pick up trailer, pick up transformer, and leave for Monterey as soon as we could. We were starting set after a 8:00 team breakfast the next morning. So we had to leave that night. Spent an several hours on the phone with U haul and the only response was tough that is the way we do business and we don't care, if you don't like it rent elsewhere. While I drove my son got on the phone to U haul customer service to complain about the situation. All we got was well I am sure you can drive back tomorrow and pick up the trailer.

U Haul still charged me for the rental because I did not cancel 24 hours before the pick up time.

I called my credit card and canceled the charge. U Haul had the nerve to dispute my claim because I did not follow policy and give 24 hours notice. I called the credit card company back and explained in detail the time line between being notified the trailer was back at the yard and U Haul closing with out notice even though I talked with them on the phone on the way letting them know I would be there a little after 6:00PM. This time the credit was reversed and it stayed reversed, U Haul was sent a letter from the CC company explaining that they do not offer their service to companies that take advantage of the CC companies customers and if they recieve more complaints like mine the contract with U Haul would be canceled. And the charge stayed reversed.

I would not use U Haul unless there is no other option.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Re U-Haul:

The company seems to be "snake-bit"--FUBAR--with deeply embedded systemic problems. They might have patched up a few things after the 2007 LA Times articles [links in original post], but it's still the same company, apparently.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
U-Haul trucks are rickety pieces of shit, a fact of which I was grateful when I rented one and sideswiped a concrete pole while trying to maneuver a tight corridor to my storage unit. They either didn't notice it among the other dents and scrapes, or didn't care.

I had to rent their biggest truck twice recently and I hope I never have to drive one again.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
Then there was the flat tire. Morning after I picked it up, the inner rear tire on the drivers side was flat. I pumped it up and drove to the dealer. "Well, we can get another truck in a couple days." I pointed out to them that the wheel can be removed. You know, all those pretty little bolts in a circle. They couldn't do that. I wasn't going to unload the whole damn truck and reload it into another one of dubious quality. I filled the flat full of flat fixer, kept it pumped up and didn't mention it on the other end. (by the way, their "full coverage" insurance doesn't cover tires or the roof of the box.)
NEVER USE U-HAUL IF YOU HAVE ANY OPTION.
I've used Budget before, they were great.
Indeed-most of the Uhaul trucks around here are junk. Anybody ever seen the old "U-Hell" site? It was hilarious..until UHaul lawyers got it shut down.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 PM
I do have to put in a good word for uHaul. They are overworked and often in bad shape. But they are a good option for local moves, especially if you are young and don't have tons of furniture, and have friends willing to help you.

I did once rent a uHaul pickup truck with a sprayed-in liner in the back. We used it to haul dead sod for a water runoff solution. The truck was clean and unmarked with only 6000+ on the odo. We hauled 150 rolls of sod (2 trips) and then cleaned the heck out of the bed and returned it. Yes, it cost more than initally advertised. But so very worth it for that job.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 PM
The last time I moved, I used UPack http://upack.com/lp/abfupackmovi...-aEaAmu68P8HAQ

They drop off a trailer in your driveway. You load the trailer. They drive it to your new home and drop the trailer in your new driveway. You unload it. They take the trailer away.

Total cost was $2k for a 1000 mile trip. Plus, if I was driving a moving van, we would have had to pay to ship one of the vehicles. It was also nice driving my own car and not feeling like I would die in a U-Hell death trap.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm the OP--update for those interested--another data point:

We went with Penske, 16-ft truck, one-way drop-off. From beginning to end--web site, phone contact, email confirmation, pickup, drive, return--total quality, fine experience; got 300-miles on one tank of gas--

Thx for info--
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 PM
For what it's worth, if you travel overnight in a rental truck and decide to stay in a motel, use caution. Rental trucks are real targets for thieves. Not only do they get the truck they get what's in it. This type of crime is very common.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:47 PM
The only time I ever used a rental truck was in 1981. In one of the stupidest things I ever did, I tried to ride a motorcycle from western Indiana to New York. Throttle cable broke near an exit in Ohio so I and an Ohio state trooper (who just happened to be parked in a construction zone where it happened) jig rigged it to get it moving. I decided to get a U Haul and transport it back to New York. I don't remember what the fee was, but the U Haul man was very helpful...helping me to strap it so it would stand up in the middle.