Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Lorne Armstrong - To Catch A Predator

I'm not sure where this thread belongs but since it's tied in with a TV show, I'll put it here.

Does everyone recall To Catch A Predator? One of the men arrested on that show has developed a cult following, Lorne Armstrong (the one who cried "oh cawd" when the cameras came out). There are literally several hundred parody videos on YT about this guy, podcasts that air every few months, a website and forum, and apparently a book in the works.

Here's a video that kind of summarizes why this guy has such a following: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6nBAsTdL248

Just googling his name turns up an outrageous amount of material.

Curious, what does everyone thing of Lorne?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Reported.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:04 PM
For what?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
For what?
Joining to post a link that appears to be intended to drive youtube views, which looked like spam to me. He's still here, and he has made one other post on an unrelated topic, so maybe I was wrong. If so, sorry, Lorne.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Wow. Dude is one sickfuck. I'd never heard of him, maybe I was better off.

Lots to see here.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Was To Catch a Predator the show where they would intice the perp to come to a house, then, instead of the underage victim he expected, the host would appear and interview him? If so, what was the motivation for the guy so sit down and talk to the host?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wow. Dude is one sickfuck. I'd never heard of him, maybe I was better off.

Lots to see here.
I shouldn't click on that at work, should I?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM
They have the transcript of his conversation with the "underage bait".

Guy was/is a moron
Old 12-18-2015, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I'm not clicking a link to a video when it's a first timer who seems to be promoting a single topic.

If you want to make a case for why the guy has a following, make it in words.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Sorry, guys. I didn't sign in just to get more views. I've been lurking for years. I wanted to get opinions of the real Lorne Armstrong because I discovered the TCAP program and am amazed at this guy's story and the following he has. His backstory is so pathetic and hilarious that it's almost too much to believe.

In short:

37-year-old man finds 13-year-old girl in chat room, talks about only sex, exposes himself repeatedly, calls his genitals "Mr. Penis," claims he's in love with the teen, gets caught on national TV, starts crying like a baby, gets arrested.

There's just too much comedy to believe. He used the word "penis" 270 times in his chats. He asked her questions like "Do you love my penis more or my balls more?" Walked around his apartment naked in front of his webcam - except for a hat which covered up his baldness.

The stupidity is epic. I think there's now several hundred parody videos of the guy, some of them are hilarious.

Last edited by Lorne Armstrong; 12-18-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Armstrong View Post
37-year-old man finds 13-year-old girl in chat room
I admit I'm a Lornology dilettante, but wasn't it that he thought he found a 13 year-old girl, when he'd actually found an adult posing as one?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Welcome to SDMB. Your namesake does seem like the saddest specimen to emerge from that show. Are you sure that's a name you want to be associated with around here?
Old 12-18-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm not 100% sure the OP's not using his real name.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Welcome to SDMB. Your namesake does seem like the saddest specimen to emerge from that show. Are you sure that's a name you want to be associated with around here?
I know. But it's too late now.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I admit I'm a Lornology dilettante, but wasn't it that he thought he found a 13 year-old girl, when he'd actually found an adult posing as one?
Technically, yes. But it turns out he was also chatting with at least two other adults posing as underage girls. I think it's safe to assume that his preference is for 13-year-olds.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:27 PM
How amusing could it be to be a lornologist? There's no one else? What a depressing preoccupation. Plus he's paying for his crimes I have to assume. He's on the registry. This show and these people are all giving predators a sympathetic name.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:24 AM
Yeah, why would anyone have the name of a pedophile be their screen name?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:26 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Yeah, why would anyone have the name of a pedophile be their screen name?
Because Lance was the only other choice?
And oddly enough, he was a pedalphile.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Because Lance was the only other choice?
And oddly enough, he was a pedalphile.
Ugg, that was almost Lorny.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:03 AM
Quote:
I know. But it's too late now.
It's not too late to PM a mod and ask for a name change.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:25 AM
Man, and I was totally rooting him for cycling drug-free, too.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:59 AM
So when he got excited during his chats with the "13 year old", did he tore da pants?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Hope you guys don't mind a more serious post. I wrote this yesterday, before checking to see what direction the thread had gone.

Quote:
Sorry, guys. I didn't sign in just to get more views. I've been lurking for years. I wanted to get opinions of the real Lorne Armstrong because I discovered the TCAP program and am amazed at this guy's story and the following he has. His backstory is so pathetic and hilarious that it's almost too much to believe.

In short:

37-year-old man finds 13-year-old girl in chat room, talks about only sex, exposes himself repeatedly, calls his genitals "Mr. Penis," claims he's in love with the teen, gets caught on national TV, starts crying like a baby, gets arrested.

There's just too much comedy to believe. He used the word "penis" 270 times in his chats. He asked her questions like "Do you love my penis more or my balls more?" Walked around his apartment naked in front of his webcam - except for a hat which covered up his baldness.

The stupidity is epic. I think there's now several hundred parody videos of the guy, some of them are hilarious.
So, in other words, he's popular to make fun of. Sounds interesting. Sometimes I think social shaming is better than anger at dealing with things like this. He wouldn't be the first person who did something stupid on TV and got made fun of, and I don't generally have a problem with that.

What I'd be concerned about is how this affects him. Is he immediately recognizable in real life? Because I could see that being a problem. Becoming the most famous guy on TCaP could harm any chance at recovery, since he'll need to get back into real life. With therapy and medication to control his urges, he might be able to be a productive citizen, but only if people give him a chance.

Then again, he's going to be on a sexual predator list anyways, so it might not matter. And maybe the fact that people ironically like him may help him get better chances. It surely is better than if they were horribly angry at him--sympathy and anger don't really mix.

Anyways, if you needed any proof that pedophilia is not just a different orientation, you have only to pay attention to this guy. He's sexually obsessed in a way that cannot be explained just by lack of a sexual outlet. I was a virgin for quite a long time, and I never acted like this.

So yeah, those are my thoughts. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will make fun of it, but it is what it is.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM
This sort of web site really does kick a man when he's down. It's ongoing humiliation and punishment for a person who (hopefully) has already received punishment enough.

Lorne seems to be a prototypical example of the sort of person who falls into this spiral. Although I have never interviewed him, let's write a generic profile of these Predators:

1) Fantasy prone.
2) Insecure
3) Not gainfully employed
4) Feels out of control of life

These people have nothing positive in their lives. So, they escape the negativity by retreating into a world of fantasy where they can be in control. This escape from reality can express itself in many, many ways, because people are terribly creative. S&M, being a Furry, becoming an internet addict, becoming a video game addict, becoming a drug addict, becoming a gambling addict, becoming a neo-nazi, and so forth. (These are all escapist life choices, but are not all morally equivalent. Obviously.)

The problem for Lorne and others like Lorne is that they choose a fantasy that involves some very unpleasant elements. They wrap themselves up in the warm security blanket that is the fantasy and, in Lorne's case, walk right into the arms of law enforcement. But, in the cases of other people, they escalate their fantasies into reality through criminal acts. And, that's a bad thing.

For a very large percentage of these people, the fantasy is the one thing they have going for them in life. It's the one thing they feel good about. It's the one place where they are warm and secure and in control. I'm not saying that this is healthy. Far from it. But, nevertheless, this is their mind set.

So, when you see these people enter the TCaP house, and you wonder why on Earth any sane human being would do what they've done, now you know. They're on a long journey of self-delusion.

Websites that humiliate offenders serve to make reality even less pleasant for these people. They're already doing everything in their power to avoid it... and now, it's even worse... so, they're just going to clutch to their fantasies that much more tightly.

In other words, gloating at their failure might give you a laugh or allow you to feel superior, but it's not helping with regards to reoccurrence of the crimes.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
This sort of web site really does kick a man when he's down.
Umm, dude. If you kick a man when he's standing chances are he's gonna take a swing at you.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
This sort of web site really does kick a man when he's down. It's ongoing humiliation and punishment for a person who (hopefully) has already received punishment enough.
If he goes after underage kids, there isn't enough punishment to be had.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It's not too late to PM a mod and ask for a name change.
Yes, you get one chance to change your name. How about "Joel Rifkin"?