Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,972
What is a Lowe's "Code 75"?

I was in Lowe's and they paged that there was a "Code 75 for all associates not helping a customer". Anyone know what was going on? Was there a gas leak and the store was about to blow up, or did they just need some help unloading a truck?

Any retail workers want to share any other "top secret" codes?
#2
Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 156
I worked at Disneyland years ago. Suspected shoplifters are referred to as "customers" (as opposed to guests). So when calling a manager or alerting security to observe a particular person we would let them know that we needed help with a customer.
#3
Old 01-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 252
Code 3 is collect shopping carts off lot, so there's that
#4
Old 01-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,516
My WAG would be that they needed help on the front registers. That was the most common request over the walkies at Target, and "everyone not helping a customer*" was a common modifier. Was the store very busy?

There wasn't a code for that there. Since we weren't supposed to use the PA system when the store was open, we just said most things over the walkie in plain language. The only codes I remember from Target are "code red" for "the store's on fire" and "code green" for "someone is badly injured."

*Yes I know Target doesn't have "customers," they have "guests." I didn't care about the distinction when I worked there either.
#5
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopus View Post
...The only codes I remember from Target are "code red" for "the store's on fire" and "code green" for "someone is badly injured."...
"code blue" = "all managers level 3 and above report to Corporate's beach conference center"
"code yellow" = "someone peed on the floor"
"code salmon" = "all staff remain alert for something fishy"
"code pink" = "the gay pride parade is clogging up Housewares again"
"code scarlet" = "we are out of window curtains"
"code aquamarine" = "Toys for Tots is over for this year"
#6
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,893
Most every time I go to Lowe's they page all employees not helping customers to shopping cart retrieval duty.
#7
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,350
I think "Code Adam" is pretty common for when a kid is missing.

ETA: Sorry, I don't know what the Lowes code means.

Also, when I worked at a hospital, we had a long list of color codes for announcements. I remember Code Black was a bomb threat.

Last edited by Bayard; 01-17-2016 at 09:15 PM.
#8
Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 10,289
I was CVS today. It was pretty quiet I was standing in line with maybe three other people. All the sudden the speaker came on "Security immediately to the front door" As I was standing about 10 feet from the front door I took some interest. Nobody had come in for the three minutes I was waiting and nobody came in, or started to come in after the announcement. In fact nothing at all happened. The cashier never reacted, nor did any security go to the door.
I had a momentary giggle thinking that since serious events have innocuous sounding codes, maybe "Security immediately to the front door" is the code for when the break room coffee pot is empty or something.

Last edited by wolfman; 01-17-2016 at 09:20 PM.
#9
Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,081
I worked for Safeway for a dozen years. Whenever we saw or suspected a shoplifter we were taught to make a call that didn't make sense, e.g. call for customer assistance to an aisle that didn't exist. The main store I worked at had 13 numbered aisles, and if we saw someone stuffing batteries into their pants, we might call for help on "aisle 19," and that was the signal for anyone who wasn't helping a customer to move toward the exits. Those in management would monitor and decide further action.
#10
Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 13,040
I once heard that at Disney World, when cleanup is called for a child having vomited, it was called a "protein spill".
#11
Old 01-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 21,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Also, when I worked at a hospital, we had a long list of color codes for announcements. I remember Code Black was a bomb threat.
And in many places Code Brown is a tornado/other very severe weather.
#12
Old 01-17-2016, 11:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
And in many places Code Brown is a tornado/other very severe weather.
Unless you're a nurse.

At my old hospital, Code Purple was for a violent incident. The weirdest thing about those was that most of them were in the OB department.

When I worked at Target in the early 1980s, they had a code for all male employees to come to the front of the store immediately. I could count on one hand the number of times it happened while I was there, but it was something to watch. It was done for an incident that had turned violent, or had the potential to do so. The one that I had anything whatsoever to do with involved a couple who came through my lane, and absolutely nothing seemed remarkable or interesting about them, until they brought them back in this manner. The woman had shoplifted a 13-inch TV by carrying it out between her knees!

I heard about another shoplifting incident where they were concerned because the woman had a cast on her arm, which of course she could potentially use as a weapon. She got as far as her car, and when one man grabbed her keys, she started screaming "Rape! Rape!" in broad daylight.

I have a friend who works at Lowe's. I should ask him. I'm guessing it's something along these lines.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-17-2016 at 11:25 PM.
#13
Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I was CVS today. It was pretty quiet I was standing in line with maybe three other people. All the sudden the speaker came on "Security immediately to the front door" As I was standing about 10 feet from the front door I took some interest. Nobody had come in for the three minutes I was waiting and nobody came in, or started to come in after the announcement. In fact nothing at all happened. The cashier never reacted, nor did any security go to the door.
I had a momentary giggle thinking that since serious events have innocuous sounding codes, maybe "Security immediately to the front door" is the code for when the break room coffee pot is empty or something.
My brother worked at Kmart around the same time that I worked at Target. He said that people would periodically make pages saying things like "Security to zone 4" and it was funny to see people look around, wondering if they were in zone 4.
#14
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: San Francisco area
Posts: 16,102
At the hospitals around here, Code Gray is a request for security to deal with a violent person.

Ultimately there's no real national standard for codes. I've been at some hospitals that use phony names instead of colors for everything other than the universal Code Blue. A page for Dr. Pyro or Dr. Firestone rather than a Code Red will bring people running with fire extinguishers and a page for Dr. Leo brings security, as LEO is a common acronym for Law Enforcement Officer.
#15
Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Collinwood, Collinsport
Posts: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

I heard about another shoplifting incident where they were concerned because the woman had a cast on her arm, which of course she could potentially use as a weapon. She got as far as her car, and when one man grabbed her keys, she started screaming "Rape! Rape!" in broad daylight.
This policy just seems like a law suit waiting to happen.
#16
Old 01-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,157
From the really really old movie, "Save the Tiger" (Jack Lemon), the classic throwaway line in the background in the Hospital waiting room announcements:

"Doctor Jones to Emergency, please. Doctor Jones to Emergency..." [Pause] "...never mind, Doctor Jones."

Last edited by md2000; 01-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.
#17
Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
At the hospitals around here, Code Gray is a request for security to deal with a violent person.

Ultimately there's no real national standard for codes. I've been at some hospitals that use phony names instead of colors for everything other than the universal Code Blue. A page for Dr. Pyro or Dr. Firestone rather than a Code Red will bring people running with fire extinguishers and a page for Dr. Leo brings security, as LEO is a common acronym for Law Enforcement Officer.
What happens if Dr. Leo really does join the staff?
#18
Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
What happens if Dr. Leo really does join the staff?
I believe Dr. Firestone was code for a flat tire on an ambulance...
#19
Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
At the hospitals around here, Code Gray is a request for security to deal with a violent person.

Ultimately there's no real national standard for codes. I've been at some hospitals that use phony names instead of colors for everything other than the universal Code Blue. A page for Dr. Pyro or Dr. Firestone rather than a Code Red will bring people running with fire extinguishers and a page for Dr. Leo brings security, as LEO is a common acronym for Law Enforcement Officer.
Please tell me that there's a code using the page "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"
#20
Old 01-18-2016, 01:52 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 28,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Please tell me that there's a code using the page "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"
Looking forward to retirement: for my last day on duty in the hospital I have been tempted to do an overhead page for "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine and Dr. Howard - report to Neurosurgery ON THE DOUBLE!" "Woob-woob-woob-woob-woob-woob!!"

Well, maybe not.
#21
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
bup bup is offline
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: glenview,il,usa
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Please tell me that there's a code using the page "Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"
A glass office door's been shattered.
#22
Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Looking forward to retirement: for my last day on duty in the hospital I have been tempted to do an overhead page for "Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine and Dr. Howard - report to Neurosurgery ON THE DOUBLE!" "Woob-woob-woob-woob-woob-woob!!"

Well, maybe not.
You really should. I guess these days a lot of people may not get the joke, but the ones who do will love it.
#23
Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Swerve City, WA
Posts: 14,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I was CVS today. It was pretty quiet I was standing in line with maybe three other people. All the sudden the speaker came on "Security immediately to the front door" As I was standing about 10 feet from the front door I took some interest. Nobody had come in for the three minutes I was waiting and nobody came in, or started to come in after the announcement. In fact nothing at all happened. The cashier never reacted, nor did any security go to the door.
In the store I work at, a page for "security" is intended to intimidate a person who's trying to shoplift, but LP is busy with something else/off for the night/doesn't have enough hard evidence to make a stop on them. We have a code name for our security people that we call them by instead of using their real names, so if we actually needed their attention we'd page for, say, "Mr. Wayne", as in Bruce. (That's not the actual name, but it's similar.)
#24
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
What happens if Dr. Leo really does join the staff?


Doctors are rarely paged overhead any more, so that probably wouldn't be an issue.
#25
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I was CVS today. It was pretty quiet I was standing in line with maybe three other people. All the sudden the speaker came on "Security immediately to the front door" As I was standing about 10 feet from the front door I took some interest. Nobody had come in for the three minutes I was waiting and nobody came in, or started to come in after the announcement. In fact nothing at all happened. The cashier never reacted, nor did any security go to the door.
I had a momentary giggle thinking that since serious events have innocuous sounding codes, maybe "Security immediately to the front door" is the code for when the break room coffee pot is empty or something.
I worked for Rite Aid about 15 years ago, during and a bit after high school. There was a short time where the background music loop would occasionally insert prerecorded announcements like "Security to the front of the store" and "Manager to the monitor room". Since the music was actually sent remotely I hypothesized every Rite Aid in the region played the same announcement simultaneously.
#26
Old 01-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 28,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post


Doctors are rarely paged overhead any more, so that probably wouldn't be an issue.
While beepers and cellphones get most of the action, we still probably average a few overhead pages a day.
#27
Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,261
My old hospital in th 60's didn't have a PA system. But we did have colored lights. Code Red was signled by the Red light. Code Blue was signaled by the Blue light. From memory, there was also Yellow and Green. I was only a visitor: I have no idea what the codes meant.

Last edited by Melbourne; 01-18-2016 at 05:50 PM.
#28
Old 01-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
While beepers and cellphones get most of the action, we still probably average a few overhead pages a day.
It must depend on where you work; I never heard one.
#29
Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_columbia View Post
"code aquamarine" = "Toys for Tots is over for this year"
For some reason I particularly liked this one...
#30
Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,722
I just asked a friend who worked at Lowe's as recently as last August. Code 3, Cash Register, Code 5, gather carts, code 50, loading assistance. They didn't have a code 75, this was in Virginia.
#31
Old 01-18-2016, 08:30 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Europe/MidEast
Posts: 2,735
When I worked at Woolworth's, the code for shoplifting was 41 1/2 spoken over the PA....

"Forty-one and a half to sporting goods".

Really weird.
#32
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 11,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
In the store I work at, a page for "security" is intended to intimidate a person who's trying to shoplift, but LP is busy with something else/off for the night/doesn't have enough hard evidence to make a stop on them. We have a code name for our security people that we call them by instead of using their real names, so if we actually needed their attention we'd page for, say, "Mr. Wayne", as in Bruce. (That's not the actual name, but it's similar.)
"LP" ?
#33
Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
"LP" ?
Loss Prevention
#34
Old 01-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
"LP" ?
Loss prevention.
#35
Old 01-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 189
Most large retail stores have their own codes that are generally just made up. For example, it sounds better for a department store to have an announcement for a "Code 7" rather than announcing for the "10am Manager's Meeting." Otherwise you get potential thieves alerted that some of the floor staff will be away or you get customers who get snippy about service and complain that "all the managers are in a meeting" instead of helping people!
#36
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,528
At Best Buy in the 90s we'd like to keep the employees aware where we were with our sales level for the day. So if we were at $254,000 for the day so far we would page "Attention Best Buy staff, please dial extension two five four."
#37
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
At Best Buy in the 90s we'd like to keep the employees aware where we were with our sales level for the day. So if we were at $254,000 for the day so far we would page "Attention Best Buy staff, please dial extension two five four."
:slight hijack: What was a typical sales figure for a day?
#38
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
:slight hijack: What was a typical sales figure for a day?
Depends on the location and day. We were a high volume store and black friday weekend we were hitting over a million a day. The month of December $300-$400k per day. The rest of the year maybe $80-$120k. This was the late 90s when BBY had seen better days.
#39
Old 01-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 6,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
I was in Lowe's and they paged that there was a "Code 75 for all associates not helping a customer". Anyone know what was going on? Was there a gas leak and the store was about to blow up, or did they just need some help unloading a truck?
I hope it means "Birthday cake in the break room." That would be nice.
#40
Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
At Best Buy in the 90s we'd like to keep the employees aware where we were with our sales level for the day. So if we were at $254,000 for the day so far we would page "Attention Best Buy staff, please dial extension two five four."
What did customers say when the employees didn't reach for the nearest phone?
#41
Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
What did customers say when the employees didn't reach for the nearest phone?
Nothing. Most didn't notice it or if they did they probably thought it didn't affect any of the employees they could see?
Some other managers went a bit overboard and liked to give the sales number, the extended service plan percentage of sales number, and the accessories percentage of sales number. Must have sounded bizarre hearing "Attention best buy staff, please dial extension two five four.... Two point eight five... And three point seven."
#42
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,049
Ralphs (employee name)1+1 means break or lunch is over and get back to work
#43
Old 01-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
At Best Buy in the 90s we'd like to keep the employees aware where we were with our sales level for the day.
Now I'm curious: do minimum wage workers give a damn if the store is making more money?
And how were they supposed to respond if sales were lower, or higher, than usual?

When I worked in restaurants as a teenager, the managers often told us "good for you, you sold 5% more desserts this week."
To which we kids on the night shift all thought "so what?--that just means we worked harder than last week, for the same pay." For me, the manager's pep-talk was always a disincentive to work.
#44
Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 17,662
I think code 75 is "Get a social media mention for Lowes."
#45
Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
Now I'm curious: do minimum wage workers give a damn if the store is making more money?
And how were they supposed to respond if sales were lower, or higher, than usual?

When I worked in restaurants as a teenager, the managers often told us "good for you, you sold 5% more desserts this week."
To which we kids on the night shift all thought "so what?--that just means we worked harder than last week, for the same pay." For me, the manager's pep-talk was always a disincentive to work.
In my youth I cooked at a nice seafood place. The restaurant always had contests to sell whatever fish was going to go bad soon.

The same people always won. The good waitstaff sold little or none of the item, as they steered their tables away from it.

Now I wonder when a waiter makes a recommendation......
#46
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 729
My son's mother is Lowes employee in MI. No code 75 according to her, but there is a code 7 and a code 5. One is for manager assistance the other is for shopping carts.
#47
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Inara's shuttle
Posts: 3,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
My son's mother is Lowes employee in MI. No code 75 according to her, but there is a code 7 and a code 5. One is for manager assistance the other is for shopping carts.
Hmm... Maybe Code 75 is some rapscallions way of saying, "Hey, managers, YOU get your asses out there and shag some carts!"
#48
Old 01-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
Now I'm curious: do minimum wage workers give a damn if the store is making more money?
Depends on what motivates them. BBY has always been non-commission so there were always other 'perks'. Choice of shifts to work, more hours than your co-workers when department hours got cut, possibly save your position when staff cuts came in January, choice of department to work in, hit a sales volume and a department or store gets lunch, promotion to s department senior, etc etc.
#49
Old 01-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 31
Healthcare employee here -

Code Red - Fire
Code Black - Bomb Threat
Code Adam - Child Abduction
Code Orange - HazMat Incident
Code Blue - Medical Emergency
Trauma Alert - Trauma Emergency
Code Pink - OB Medical Emergency
Code H - Secondary Helipad Activated
Code Green - Incident Response
Code Violet - Violent Person Response
Code Silver - Weapon or Hostage Situation
Code Brown - Missing Adult
Code Gray - Severe Weather
Code Echo - Prepare Evacuation
Code Evacuate - Evacuate
#50
Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_grut View Post
Code Brown - Missing Adult
Code Gray - Severe Weather
Interesting. I seem to recall these two being reversed when I worked in a hospital. That was ::mumble:: years ago, though, and my memory may be off now.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: square plunger cost of doritos sleep tie sex glider chair funny dream stories doney oatman 1920x1080 videos spock sexy forced bimbofication surgery message shakespeare anti semitic sorority pinning groinkick stories fingernail curving inward 104 octane mower muffler amishk virus siobhan pronounce get fuzzy reruns lilly f 40 three eighty removing medical tape snowplow tires religious orgy fire hardened wood shylock gangster hboc mckesson fleeing prosecution eat guava seeds rotors resurfaced cost native wifi default profile hyphenated last names alphabetical order my eye makes a creaking sound i don't bruise easily sore throat after flying can you get a security clearance with a dui why was the comanche cancelled college ruled vs wide ruled notebook aspirin that has been stored for a long time rapid breathing while sleeping spinners games people play revenge pictures of your ex girlfriend moon from northern and southern hemispheres apple brown inside safe to eat can you use the same credit card on two amazon accounts i am in debt up to my eyeballs roommate wants girlfriend to move in rancid butter food poisoning russian fur hat name can you get dna from feces medical withdrawal from college depression photo op cut out boards is trugreen worth the money what animals have udders do geckos eat cockroaches what does line mean what is the gunk on my mouse my asshole is on fire could america conquer the world south park the passion of the jew german translation how to fix snow globe how to build your own lake