Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM
The Godfather Epic on HBO (deleted scenes)

HBO is showing what they call "The Godfather Epic" -- Godfather + Godfather 2, cut into chronological order, with additional scenes deleted from the theatrical versions. 7 hours.

(If this sounds familiar, it's because it's basically "The Godfather Saga" that ran on NBC several years ago. But this one has not had any violence edited out...and no commercials.)

I'm only up to the hit on Don Vito, but some notes on the deleted scenes:
A scene with young Vito, Clemenza and Tessio meeting with a gunsmith named Coppola, and his son Carmine, who plays a song on his flute. So Francis wrote his grandfather and father into the story...then cut them out.

Mama Corleone had most of her lines cut, including a scene where Sonny breaks the news to her that Vito has been shot.

Major change to the scenes with and concerning Jack Woltz. When Tom Hagen first seems Woltz, he's having a birthday celebration for a young starlet (Judy Garland? Deanna Durbin?), and then they have their first, abrupt conversation. When Tom and Woltz have dinner and Woltz throws Tom out, the starlet appears, along with a handler (her mother?) who tells her to "never leave the bedroom!"

Followed by a scene where Tom, Vito and Sonny discuss what to do about Woltz, and Vito asks if Tom is sure about the starlet. Followed by the horse-head scene.

So Tom flew back to New York, and wasn't in Hollywood when the horse head was delivered. And why was Vito interested in the starlet? How does that affect his plans for how to deal with Woltz? I can see why the whole thing was cut.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm glad they kept out the death bed scene of one of Vitos associates in the first film, you can see why they did it, it would of lowered the tone of the entire film.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
I'm glad they kept out the death bed scene of one of Vitos associates in the first film, you can see why they did it, it would of lowered the tone of the entire film.
That was Genco Abbanando, his consigliere (Tom's predecessor).

Yeah..there was a reason for the cuts they made. There was a scene with Michael and Kay in a hotel bed (while Vito was getting whacked) that went on and on, for no good reason.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
they had a scene where Sonny buys an EZ Pass. But they cut it because if he had one, he would be alive today!!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Im glad they edited out the Don Vito scenes they shot with Bam Margeras uncle.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
<snip>
So Tom flew back to New York, and wasn't in Hollywood when the horse head was delivered. And why was Vito interested in the starlet? How does that affect his plans for how to deal with Woltz? I can see why the whole thing was cut.
In the book, it was emphasized that Don Vito was conservative on sexual matters. The story about the little girl made it clear that besides snubbing Johnny, Woltz was a pervert.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Vito was very interested in the character of people he dealt with. Woltz's infamia told him that Woltz was someone he could best in a struggle.

I think it was clear in the original that Tom had already come back before the horse head thing.

Anyway, I started going thru it a bit on my DVR to see what was what, but of course getting suckered into certain scenes.

One thing I paid particular attention to was Vito's funereal. There used to be an odd reflection in front of Mama Corleone in one shot. Quite noticable to me, but not to others (e.g., Roger Ebert). I noticed in recent video releases it had been cleaned up.

But in this version, not only is it back but other reflections can be seen. Much clearer with an HD signal vs. the old analog TV signal.

Another extra scene I had forgotten about was after the bomb blast that killed Apollonia. Michael's coming to, is told she's dead, asks for Fabrizio. Which of course leads to the later additional scene where Michael finally gets his revenge.

The big gap between the confrontation with trying to buy Moe Green out and Moe getting killed is too noticeable. In the book, Moe is taken out much earlier and isn't part of the 5 Families massacre.

And on and on.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen the entire Godfather Epic yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember the scene where Fredo and Deanna arrive at Anthony's communion party in the Godfather Saga. Deanna looks fabulous.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:20 AM
So many deleted scenes that deal with Paulie in the aftermath of the attempt on Vito:

Sonny and Tessio huddling, Michael insists on knowing what's going on. Sonny finally says "whose brains do we blow out -- Clemenza's or Paulie's?"

Sonny gets a call from a contact at the phone company, confirming that Paulie had made suspicious phone calls. Finalizes Sonny's decision to whack Paulie.

Clemenza give a gun to the guy in the back seat, and says "today you make your bones on Paulie."

OK, we get it -- Paulie's a dead man. By making these cuts, leaving just one scene where Sonny tells Clemenza to do it, the actual hit ("leave the gun...take the cannoli") is much more startling.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Vito was very interested in the character of people he dealt with. Woltz's infamia told him that Woltz was someone he could best in a struggle.
The exact word is used in the deleted scene.

Vito: And this girl, are you certain?
Tom nods.
Vito: Infamia.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

Clemenza give a gun to the guy in the back seat, and says "today you make your bones on Paulie."
And not just a random guy but Rocco Lampone, one of Michael's future capos. The guy who shoots Hyman Roth at the airport in GF II. Look carefully and you'll notice it is the same actor ( Tom Rosqui ).

One of the things I really like about the GF films is the character/actor continuity.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 01-22-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Mama Corleone had most of her lines cut, including a scene where Sonny breaks the news to her that Vito has been shot.
It wasn't a necessary scene, but I did find it interesting how completely unshocked and matter-of-factly Mama Corleone reacted to the news of her husband's shooting. Especially compared to how Connie reacted to her husband's death, and her husband was an abusive a-hole.

Last edited by SaharaTea; 01-22-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
One of the things I really like about the GF films is the character/actor continuity.
Agreed. But one of the few characters that was in all the Godfathers was Don Tomosino who was played by 3 different actors. Granted though, all three were at different ages of the character, Don Tomosino.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
It wasn't a necessary scene, but I did find it interesting how completely unshocked and matter-of-factly Mama Corleone reacted to the news of her husband's shooting. Especially compared to how Connie reacted to her husband's death, and her husband was an abusive a-hole.

IIRC, in the book that a big part of Kay's story is learning from Mama Corleone and accepting that to be a mob boss' wife means just rolling with it
Old 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I just noticed (after god knows how many viewings)....

Godfather begins with a wedding, ends with a baptism.
Godfather 2 (Vito) begins with a funeral
Godfather 2 (Michael) begins with a First Communion.

They've practically got all the sacraments covered.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 AM
I remember watching "The Godfather Saga" when NBC first aired it and I also saw it this past Sunday on HBO. I agree with many here that while it was cool to see all those "lost" scenes, in most cases it was obvious why they were cut in the first place. Not necessarily because the scene may not seemed needed, but because it may have slowed down the pace or disrupted the direction they wanted to go.

It is interesting though, they go through the painstaking chore of reediting, so it's shown in chronological order, bit the Dinner-waiting-for-pop-to-return-home, where Michael reveals that he joined the service is still shown as a memory that older Michael has at the end of Godfather 2.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
Charter Member
The end scene makes sense to me. As GF II fades out, Michael is sitting alone in contemplation. The waiting for Pop scene has always appeared to me as Micael looking back to a time of innocence before he accepted his destiny in "The Family Business"

He had just decided to assert himself and distance himself from the rackets.

We can all look back to a time where we were, in retrospect, on the correct path and think: "if only I had continued down that path, everything would have been different...."
Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
IIRC, in the book that a big part of Kay's story is learning from Mama Corleone and accepting that to be a mob boss' wife means just rolling with it
Yeah, that's definitely something I didn't like about the movie. Kay telling Michael that she had an abortion. At the end of the book, Kay and mama Corleone are preparing to go to mass to pray for the souls of their men.

Don't get me wrong, the GF movies are the best; but I always felt like the tone of the book was that Michael was just like his father, and destined to be a great man. The tone of the movie shows Michael full of hate and revenge. In the movie I feel sad for Michael and the man he's become.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Yeah, that's definitely something I didn't like about the movie. Kay telling Michael that she had an abortion. At the end of the book, Kay and mama Corleone are preparing to go to mass to pray for the souls of their men.

Don't get me wrong, the GF movies are the best; but I always felt like the tone of the book was that Michael was just like his father, and destined to be a great man. The tone of the movie shows Michael full of hate and revenge. In the movie I feel sad for Michael and the man he's become.
So a murderous thieving Mafioso is a great man in your opinion?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post

Could you expand on what you mean by "great?" Don Vito was, in the end, a criminal. IIRC, he had many judges and politicians in his pocket. He was subverting our entire system which, IMPO, is worse than running drugs or illegal gambling operations.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Quote:
I just noticed (after god knows how many viewings)....

Godfather begins with a wedding, ends with a baptism.
Godfather 2 (Vito) begins with a funeral
Godfather 2 (Michael) begins with a First Communion.

They've practically got all the sacraments covered.
To nitpick, the funeral isn't really a sacrament, the anointing of the sick is. I believe we don't see that nor do we see Holy Orders, and I'm not sure we see Confirmation.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I haven't seen the entire Godfather Epic yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember the scene where Fredo and Deanna arrive at Anthony's communion party in the Godfather Saga. Deanna looks fabulous.
Yeah I don't remember that scene from before either. Comcast has the Eoic it on demand for free with HBO subscription . I started to watch it last night and also noticed(or may have failed to notice the first few viewings) when Vito goes back to Sicily he doesn't just carve up Ciccio, but he also avenges his mother by killing the two guys that stopped by his house to fetch him. Those two were the guys that shot his mother as he was running away from Ciccio's villa. Vito catches one of the guys sleeping and cuts his throat, the other he beats to death with an oar of his boat on the water.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
To nitpick, the funeral isn't really a sacrament, the anointing of the sick is. I believe we don't see that nor do we see Holy Orders, and I'm not sure we see Confirmation.
Yeah, I was stretching to make a point. (To establish my bona fides: when I was a kid, the sacrament was called Extreme Unction, pronounced more like "Extra Munction".)

Definitely no Confirmations in the Epic. Doesn't someone become a priest in G 3?

Last edited by jsc1953; 01-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Quote:
And how upset Sonny was. Mama was the calm one.

A scene from the novel that I wish had been filmed was when Connie went to her parents because of Carlo beating her. They were significantly less than sympathetic, basically telling her "We told you not to marry him", and refusing to speak with him or otherwise use "influence". When she asks Vito if he ever beat Carmella they both sort of laugh and he says no, because she never gave him any reason to beat her.

Last edited by Sampiro; 01-27-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 AM
I would love to know what the lyrics are to the song that Mama Corleone and the old man sing at the wedding. It's apparently pretty bawdy.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
I would love to know what the lyrics are to the song that Mama Corleone and the old man sing at the wedding. It's apparently pretty bawdy.
http://lyrics.net/lyric/5033006
Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/c039e-...iddle-sea.html

With English translation. I would have guessed it was a bawdy song too, but it seems not.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Charter Member
Not bawdy?
"He'll plough you oh my daughter"
"He'll sausage you oh my daughter"
"He'll cucumber you oh my daughter"
Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Not bawdy?
Plus the "holds a ___ in his hands" is done with suggestive gestures.
It reminds me of the English song Follow the Band where the words are innocent on the surface but bawdy at the same time due to delivery.

http://traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...w_the_Band.htm

Thanks for the lyrics!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Not bawdy?
Not so much, no.

"He'll razor you oh my daughter."
"He'll plane you oh my daughter."
"He'll hammer you oh my daughter."
"He'll fish you oh my daughter."

Those sound either like abuse or just nonsensical.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:47 PM
I just finished it. It's a terrible way to watch these movies for the first time, but if you've seen them 100 times, it's fun. The chronological order gimmick is done soon after the halfway point, obviously, because then it's just the Pacino part of GFII from then on.

None of the deleted scenes is all that necessary, but they're fun to see scattered throughout. Somehow the additional Fredo scene with his awful wife made him a bit more sympathetic as a guy who just has no control of his life.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Does anybody know what kind of car that was Fredo was driving in the deleted scene? It had gull wing doors, which I didn't realize existed in the '50s.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Does anybody know what kind of car that was Fredo was driving in the deleted scene? It had gull wing doors, which I didn't realize existed in the '50s.
Probably a Mercedes. I'm no car guy, but I know they had a gull-wing in the 50s.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
I've seen the Epic before on NBC many years ago and remember Michael saying that Vito had forsworn vengeance, not Michael. What I don't remember from that viewing was this exchange about the peace:

Michael: "Won't they take that as a sign of weakness?"

Vito: "Yes, because it is."
Old 01-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
I've seen the Epic before on NBC many years ago and remember Michael saying that Vito had forsworn vengeance, not Michael. What I don't remember from that viewing was this exchange about the peace:

Michael: "Won't they take that as a sign of weakness?"

Vito: "Yes, because it is."
That struck me as some dishonorable bullshit there. Vito is trying to be this honorable gangster, but ends up basing his strategy on the semantics of whether his promise extends to his son as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
That struck me as some dishonorable bullshit there. Vito is trying to be this honorable gangster, but ends up basing his strategy on the semantics of whether his promise extends to his son as well.
Which is kind of the point - there are no honorable gangsters. Only more honorable and less honorable on a sliding scale of criminality and they all lie to themselves. It's like when the bosses are meeting and the one makes a big deal about "regulating" the drug business to keep it away from kids and good white folk. It's clearly self-serving bullshit and we are meant to see it as self-serving bullshit, but these are the lies many of them tell themselves to pretend they are moral business men.

Vito is no different in kind, just degree. He thinks drugs is a "dirty business", but hey gambling ( rigged, usually ) and prostitution ( coerced, frequently ) are just fine. He threatens and kills people with barely a qualm. Basically he's a monster, just a slightly fluffier monster than most of his peers.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Not so much, no.

"He'll razor you oh my daughter."
"He'll plane you oh my daughter."
"He'll hammer you oh my daughter."
"He'll fish you oh my daughter."

Those sound either like abuse or just nonsensical.
As Sampiro say, since they include "hold his ____ in his hands," they're pretty obviously intended as double entendres. All the objects are either tools used with a back and forth motion, or are phallic in shape.

Quote:
IF I GIVE YOU THE BARBER
HE WILL COME AND HE WILL GO,
BUT HE'LL ALWAYS HOLD HIS RAZOR IN HIS HANDS...
IF HE LIKES THE IDEA
HE'LL RAZOR YOU OH MY DAUGHTER.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
King David did almost identically the same thing in the Old Testament, swearing not to take vengeance on those who had aided his son Absalom's rebellion but telling Solomon "soon as I'm cold, waste them". I've wondered if Puzo based the Corleone vendetta torch pass on David.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM
I haven't read the novel in a long time so I don't remember how he was portrayed in there, but Bonasera the undertaker really comes across as a whiney little bitch when you add the deleted scene.

The faux pas and desperation he shows in the opening scene of the first movie can be overlooked somewhat because he's a furious and grieving father, though even then he comes across as something of a jerk. But when he's waiting for the Godfather to arrive and telling his wife that he curses the day she ever met Carmela Corleone I want to go Vito on him and slap him around: "You can act like a man!" He's blaming his wife for the fact that he owes a favor to a crime lord for asking him to kill the boys who tried to rape his daughter?
Yeah, be nervous, you have no idea what he's going to ask, but, man up. You asked for this, payment's due. And I'd have probably made the same deal, but hopefully a bit more respectfully.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Bonasera is a weak, sniveling, whiner. In the book, in the original, and in the epic. I don't see a change in personality.

Vito clearly displays disgust with Bonasera's pleadings, especially in the conversation afterwards with Tom.

The book covers Bonasera's dread on how he was to repay the favor to his Godfather. The extra bit with his wife nicely covers that.

OTOH, great character name, especially for an undertaker.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The book covers Bonasera's dread on how he was to repay the favor to his Godfather. The extra bit with his wife nicely covers that.
It turns out that the "favor" is merely doing his job -- make Sonny presentable enough for an open-casket. Should be standard procedure for a competent mortician.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Sonny was lit up like a pinball machine. I can't remember if he was shot in the head and face, but it seems like a LOT of work would be necessary to make him look presentable in an open casket.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Bonasera's obligation extended to Vito's funeral. He can be seen briefly standing behind a floral display when Michael walks back after talking to Tessio.

IIRC, in the book, at the funeral Tom tells Bonasera that his obligation to his godfather has ended. (The family was moving to Nevada and so Bonasera wasn't going to provide for Mama Corleone's funeral.)

Mobsters have been interested in gaining an "in" with funeral parlors for the purposes of disposing of bodies. E.g., in a crematorium or by using a "double decker" coffin.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Sonny was lit up like a pinball machine. I can't remember if he was shot in the head and face, but it seems like a LOT of work would be necessary to make him look presentable in an open casket.
Yeah, but the way he made it seem in the added scene with his wife was that he was somehow now a target merely for filling the role of a funeral director, and acting like the ask from the Corleone family was somehow a big ask. Seems to me he got the better end of the deal in the favor department, so he should quit whining!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
I remember seeing a documentary about the movie, or maybe an interview with James Caan. Apparently, no one had ever used as many squibs on a person before and they weren't quite sure if they would injure him.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 PM
BANNED
Could someone give a correct english translation of that old man's (Strachi?) Song during the wedding reception?