Old 07-16-2001, 02:35 PM
What is the standard journalism style for referencing a low-income neighborhood? I keep thinking "economically challenged" is a tad bit too PC but I don't know what the correct phrase is. Is there a preference these days? Or perhaps another alternative?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan
Quote:
Originally posted by Baglady
What is the standard journalism style for referencing a low-income neighborhood? I keep thinking "economically challenged" is a tad bit too PC but I don't know what the correct phrase is. Is there a preference these days? Or perhaps another alternative?

Thanks!
How about "Poor"?
Old 07-16-2001, 02:50 PM
Although I would say "poor," I expect that journalists would say "low income neighborhood."
Old 07-16-2001, 02:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Am I the only one tickled by the fact that Baglady is the OP on this?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:03 PM
You should use "Low Income". This will eliminate the need to define what "poor" or "economically challenged" means.

HUD defines certain neighborhoods based on the median income of the residents as it compares to the greater surrounding areas. This can be found in the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) and Community Reinvestment Act (CRA).

Quote:
Census Income Information

Tract/BNA Income Level - This corresponds to tract classifications as defined by the HMDA and CRA regulations. The incomes used for these calculations are the Median Family Incomes from the 1990 Census.

If the Median Family Income % is < 50% then the Income Level is Low.

If the Median Family Income % is >= 50% and < 80% then the Income Level is Moderate.

If the Median Family Income % is >= 80% and < 120% then the Income Level is Middle.

If the Median Family Income % is >=120% then the Income Level is Upper.
These will soon be updated with 2000 census information.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:07 PM
As some additional information, if you would like to see how any address is classified, as to income level, population, or minority representation go to: http://ffiec.gov/Geocode/default.htm
This is still based on 1990 information but should be updated soon.