Old 02-04-2016, 03:51 PM
"Classic" version of Rock Me, Amadeus

I went to the iTunes1 store2 last night trying to get the version of Rock Me, Amadeus I remember from the 80's - the version of the song the MTV video played - the version of the song in English which included a short spoken biography of Mozart.

The only versions I can find at the iTunes1 store2 are in German, and/or don't have the bio of Mozart (there is a version which has a short bio of Falco).

Anyone know where I can legally get that song in MP3 format for my iPod? I want Falco's estate to get whatever portion of the $0.99 they're entitled to.

Because this is in Cafe Society, hey, how 'bout that Rock Me, Amadeus song, huh? Great mix of silliness and infectious rhythm. A real standout of commercially successful 80's pop.

1I fucking hate iTunes, which makes me hate Apple.
2I fucking hate the iTunes store even more.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM
You may have trouble finding this, as there are ton of different versions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Me_Amadeus

Quote:
Originally recorded in German, the song is about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, his popularity and his debts. A longer version (eight minutes), named the "Salieri Mix", appeared on the initial US release of the album Falco 3. The song was inspired by the movie Amadeus. For the US release, the song was remixed with an English background overlay. There was never a full English version.

Voiceover facts

1756: Salzburg, January 27, Wolfgang Amadeus is born.
1761: At the age of 5 Amadeus begins composing.
1773: He writes his first piano concerto.
1782: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart marries Constanze Weber.
1784: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart becomes a Freemason.
1791: Mozart composes The Magic Flute.

On December 5 of that same year, Mozart dies. (on some remixes, says "Mozart kicks the bucket")

1985: Austrian rock singer Falco records "Rock Me Amadeus"
Quote:
The song was released in Europe in 1985 in its original, German-language version. For the international markets (USA, UK, Japan etc.), several different single and extended mixes were produced; none of them were solely an English-language version, but the international single versions reduced the German lyrics. However, the video, which featured the original European version, was used worldwide.

Original Version (a.k.a. The Gold Mix) (3:21)
Extended Version (7:07)
Salieri Version (8:21) (on the international versions of Falco 3 this mix is denoted wrongly as "Solieri Version")
Short Salieri Version (4:50)
Special Salieri Version (3:59)
American Edit (3:10)
Canadian Edit (4:02)
Canadian/American Edit (3:59)
Extended American Edit (6:10)
Club Mix 1991 (6:47)
Radio Remix 1991 (4:30)
Instrumental Remix 1991 (1:29)
Live Version 1985 from the album Opus & Friends (4:20)
Live Version 1986 from the album Live Forever (6:04)
Symphonic Remix 2008 from the album Symphonic (4:52)
Live Symphonic Version 1994 from the DVD Symphonic (4:12)
Falco Biography Mix 2010 from the 25th Anniversary Edition of Falco 3 (download only) (8:48)
Thanks for reminding me of this song. I loved it on MTV and it pops into my and my dad's heads occasionally -- I know 'cause we randomly start singing it.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
I went to the iTunes1 store2 last night trying to get the version of Rock Me, Amadeus I remember from the 80's - the version of the song the MTV video played - the version of the song in English which included a short spoken biography of Mozart.
For some songs, the official music video is available on YouTube, through a company called VEVO. Have you checked to see if the MTV version you remember is on YouTube?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you're looking for the Salieri Mix version.

It doesn't appear that this version is on iTunes or Amazon as a digital download, maybe it's available on Google Play?

Here's a link to a CD available for sale on Amazon for $20.

20 bucks for the one song you like... just like you're in the 80s!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Hey, 2 songs: that album has Der Kommissar on it as well!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-04-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 PM
One can't forget the version in Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off:

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
...oooohhh Dr. Zaius
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 AM
Then there is the "Rock me Jerry Lewis" version....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aSzbbTPLUq8
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Hey, 2 songs: that album has Der Kommissar on it as well!
This is Falco's original version, but in the US a much more popular & well known, rock-oriented cover of it was done by the band After the Fire. The music video is pretty stupid though. Classic 80s. Bunch of Euro-trash models looking stoned-out and vamping for the camera.

Of course, there's always this too...
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
I'm pretty sure you're looking for the Salieri Mix version.

It doesn't appear that this version is on iTunes or Amazon as a digital download, maybe it's available on Google Play?

Here's a link to a CD available for sale on Amazon for $20.

20 bucks for the one song you like... just like you're in the 80s!
The narrated version is also available on this CD which is quite a bit cheaper:

http://amazon.com/More-Pure-80s-...=more+pure+80s
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Salieri Mix is the magic phrase I needed.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
The narrated version is also available on this CD which is quite a bit cheaper:

http://amazon.com/More-Pure-80s-...=more+pure+80s
Yeah, but that doesn't seem to include the Salieri Mix, which is, apparently, the one he is looking for. But who knows, maybe the Canadian Mix is actually the one he wants. Or it could be the Canadian/American Mix.

THE NUMBER OF ROCK ME AMADEUS MIXES IS TOO DAMN HIGH
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't seem to include the Salieri Mix, which is, apparently, the one he is looking for. But who knows, maybe the Canadian Mix is actually the one he wants. Or it could be the Canadian/American Mix.

THE NUMBER OF ROCK ME AMADEUS MIXES IS TOO DAMN HIGH
I guess. The version on that disk is this one,

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bMuDtfxAIKk

which is definitely the one I remember on the radio in the American midwest during the 80s.