Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Is there a difference between "Grand Strategy" and 4X?

Thinking about this last night trying to describe the difference to a friend and I really couldn't come up with much other than if it's made by Paradox it's probably "Grand Strategy".

Is there a definition out there that makes the differences clear, or are there even any differences?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM
I think the whole resource exploitation aspect is de-emphasized in Paradox-style grand strategy. In EU4, for example, they're mostly interchangeable, whether they be gold or grain or slaves. In CKII they're missing altogether.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
I think the whole resource exploitation aspect is de-emphasized in Paradox-style grand strategy.
Same with "eXplore." There's no exploration to be done, because you can see the whole map all the time. Grand strategy games pull you all the way back so that you can see everything. They're computerized board games, which makes sense, because the term "grand strategy" is a board game term.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 03-02-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 AM
4X is a story that starts from the beginning with fog of war to every direction. Grand Strategy games start in medias res.

Last edited by Arrogance Ex Machina; 03-02-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Matrix Games has done the "World in Flames" [monster] board game for the PC. You refight WW2, any or all theaters. I consider that to be "grand strategy".

Sure, Germany can "expand" (conquer Poland, France, etc.), and "exploit" (using conquered resources and factories for production), there is no "explore" at all. Nations can not develop more than a couple new (synthetic oil) resources that didn't exist at game start, either, nor colonize (building new populations, cities).
Old 03-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I think you'd struggle to find a 4X game that wasn't Grand Strategy, but there are Grand Strategy games that aren't 4X.