Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Backwards baseball caps - sly cultural statements

In my opinion, the only reason to turn baseball caps, or indeed any billed cap, from back to front is either to protect the neck from the sun, or to peer into a periscope.

So, from time to time when I see such a hat worn in that fashion, I amuse myself by whispering to the wearer, in a passing way – as if they had a bit of spinach stuck between their teeth –

“Your hat is on backwards…”

The usual response, after a moment of bewilderment is:

“…I know.”

Then I say:

“Oh. …Ah…”

As if, after a moment of my own bewilderment, I came to realize that he had reversed the hat on purpose; like somebody with significant learning difficulties and impaired social skills might wear their pants as a shirt.

What a clever fox am I; to make such a sly cultural statement!

I was quite disconcerted when I did this at a political rally to which a friend had dragged me – it was not well received.

I am assured by my doctors that I may be able to walk again one day.

But I stand (as best I can) by the backwards cap thing. Just stupid, really.

Do any of you have sly cultural statements you have made?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
They might also have just removed their catchers mask.

Maybe something along the lines of "did you drop your catchers mask?" would be better received?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 PM
I keep wondering who they think they are impressing with their cutting edge fashion statement. Maybe middle-school girls find the backwards cap irresistible

What is really totally cool is the guys who buy the cheap adjustable ones, with that plastic notched band running across their forehead.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 PM
I sometimes wear my hat backwards when I'm working because it gets hot under the brim, yet I can't take it off due to the reason I have it on in the first place....... bad hair day. No cultural statement here, no trying to be cutting edge, no nothing. Just momentary necessity.

Sorry to disappoint.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Makes for a great sunburn on the forehead.

Quite stunned that the regular US Army replaced their functional hat that had a brim with the baret.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Sith Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo John Blitz View Post
In my opinion, the only reason to turn baseball caps, or indeed any billed cap, from back to front is either to protect the neck from the sun, or to peer into a periscope.
Can you imagine a reason to wear a cap without a bill?

Then you can imagine a reason to wear a baseball cap backwards.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:25 PM
Sith Mod
This is, incidentally, a trend you can mostly blame on Hollywood. If you're out shooting in the sun, you want a cap. But the brim will throw off your perception of the lighting levels, and interferes with looking in a camera. So, people who worked on film sets would turn their hats backwards, and then people not on film sets would turn their hats backwards so people would think they worked on film sets. And then everyone in Hollywood is wearing backwards baseball caps, and they assume that everyone everywhere is wearing backwards baseball caps. So everyone in movies starts wearing backwards baseball caps. And then everyone everywhere starts wearing backwards baseballs caps, because they saw it in the movies.

And this is why California is the dominant culture on Earth.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:48 PM
I was once walking in NYC, and overheard a kid complaining that the bright sun was in his eyes. Of course the brim of his baseball cap was on the side. I said "excuse me" and straightened it for him, adding "That's what it's for."
Old 05-13-2016, 11:14 PM
I started wearing two hats to see if I could start a trend. A brief marketing survey indicated it wasn't catching on. I didn't consider having the bill turned around on one of them. I feel the fool now, that could have made all the difference.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm not going to make up some stupid practical purpose excuse, I wear my cap backwards because I like they way it looks on me. It has to be a non-fitted cap and it's better with netting (a.k.a. trucker's cap) in the back (or in my case, front). Honestly, I think most of you in this thread probably are wishing you had said these clever things, or are pretending to be ignorant of the fashion choice, but news to you, things people wear don't necessarily have to have some purpose other than looks.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Honestly, I think most of you in this thread probably are wishing you had said these clever things, or are pretending to be ignorant of the fashion choice, but news to you, things people wear don't necessarily have to have some purpose other than looks.
Agreed.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 05-14-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:26 AM
Charter Member
Personally, I think a hat turned backwards looks just fine. Second, keep in mind that some people might be doing it because their scalp is exposed to the sun. Sunburn on your head hurts. If they're bald, have thinning hair or have their hair cut short enough they might just be trying to protect that.

Lastly, to all the people that say they're making these comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo John Blitz View Post
“Your hat is on backwards…”

The usual response, after a moment of bewilderment is:

“…I know.”

Then I say:

“Oh. …Ah…”

As if, after a moment of my own bewilderment, I came to realize that he had reversed the hat on purpose; like somebody with significant learning difficulties
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Maybe something along the lines of "did you drop your catchers mask?" would be better received?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I keep wondering who they think they are impressing with their cutting edge fashion statement.
I assume you also go around reminding these people to take their hats off after sundown, because there's no reason to wear them then, right? I assume none of you wear baseball hats in the evening either. No fashion faux pas for any of you.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:40 AM
I've tried putting one on backwards, and its very impractical. The bill is down against my back, so I lose head mobility. If I wanted a cap with no bill on the front, why would I want one with a bill on the back? I would just get a beanie. I think you can get them with a little propeller on the top, if you need to impress anyone with a fashion statement. But then, I don't shave my head, either, so what do I know?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I've tried putting one on backwards, and its very impractical. The bill is down against my back, so I lose head mobility. If I wanted a cap with no bill on the front, why would I want one with a bill on the back? I would just get a beanie. I think you can get them with a little propeller on the top, if you need to impress anyone with a fashion statement. But then, I don't shave my head, either, so what do I know?
Maybe people that are wearing hats backwards just aren't trying to impress you.
Sorry to be a buzzkill but most people out and about really don't care what you think about their baseball hat.

Besides, just because you can't wear a hat backwards and still move your head, doesn't mean they haven't figured it out. Maybe you just don't want others to have what you can't. Are you projecting?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Charter Member
I'm still puzzling out, after hearing this foolishness for decades, why anybody would give two shits about how a baseball cap is worn.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I'm still puzzling out, after hearing this foolishness for decades, why anybody would give two shits about how a baseball cap is worn.
Well, the two shits giving started back in the 80's when the angle of baseball caps on the head denoted various gang affiliations, but I'm guessing that's long passe. I can remember back when there were video arcades, some would not allow caps to be worn inside them.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Well, the two shits giving started back in the 80's when the angle of baseball caps on the head denoted various gang affiliations, but I'm guessing that's long passe. I can remember back when there were video arcades, some would not allow caps to be worn inside them.
But this isn't about being inside out or worn at an angle (other than straight backwards). This is about the OP and a few others seeing it as inherently wrong to wear a baseball hat backwards because it won't keep the sun out of the wearer's face. Not just wrong, wrong enough that they feel the need to confront the person about it.

That's a bizarre thing to get worked up about. I mean if you want to go ahead, but actually confronting someone about it is...odd.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I can think of at least two practical reasons to wear a cap backwards. In very strong winds, if it's on the normal way the cap would likely blow off. Turn it around and it'll stay on your head better. Similarly if you're on a roller coaster, wear the cap backwards and it'll be more secure. The other reason is when playing basketball. The cap serves as a sweat band and the bill doesn't get in the way of my jump shot. But when playing tennis, I wear the cap normally, the bill doesn't get in the way of my serve or overhead smash.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM
I turn my cap around when I'm doing photography. If I turn the camera into "portrait" mode, the bill is in the way. But I turn the cap around to the proper orientation when I'm done.

Of course, if you really want to be cutting edge, you need a bill in front AND back of your cap.....

http://application.denofgeek.com/pic...sactors/03.jpg
Old 05-14-2016, 12:03 PM
My sly statements tend to be directed toward those who leave shopping carts anywhere in a parking lot, instead of putting them in cart corrals.

"You know, that'll fit in nicely over there! <points to cart corral>

I'm often met with feigned deafness.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:01 PM
I spent 8 hours in traffic school once, the irresponsible kid in front of me spent the entire 8 hours rotating his baseball cap on his head in time with the hand of the clock as if it was a sundial.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 PM
The only thing that looks stupider than a guy in a baseball cap is a guy in a backwards baseball cap.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Some people are just so neurotic they get annoyed by almost anything.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
I spent 8 hours in traffic school once, the irresponsible kid in front of me spent the entire 8 hours rotating his baseball cap on his head in time with the hand of the clock as if it was a sundial.
If he was keeping the sun out of his eyes it was a sundial.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:49 PM
I always wondered if hipster Arab teenagers turn their turbans around backwards.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Maybe you just don't want others to have what you can't. Are you projecting?
I'll let you know, when I CAN'T wear a baseball cap backwards. Or when I can't get tattoos, or can't shave my head, or can't pull my pants down to show the creak of my ass, or cant wear culottes that come down to within 4 inches of the top of my sneakers.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
The only thing that looks stupider than a guy in a baseball cap is a guy in a backwards baseball cap.
undoubtedly
Old 05-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype View Post
Some people are just so neurotic they get annoyed by almost anything.
And that annoys you?
Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I'll let you know, when I CAN'T wear a baseball cap backwards. Or when I can't get tattoos, or can't shave my head, or can't pull my pants down to show the creak of my ass, or cant wear culottes that come down to within 4 inches of the top of my sneakers.
I'm not sure there's actually a sentence in there.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
Well, you know the ol' saying: "Better a backwards baseball cap than a stick up your ass."
Old 05-14-2016, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Well, you know the ol' saying: "Better a backwards baseball cap than a stick up your ass."
Well, some folks are into that sort of thing.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM
About 20 years ago ( give or take,) it became a fashion statement to wear your baseball cap with the price tag still dangling down from one corner of the bill. The first time I saw it, I laughed and said to the person, "Lord, is Minnie Pearl making a comeback?" There was no recognition at all. Their expression was totally blank, then confused.

I'm old.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Complaining about backwards baseball caps? Jesus, what decade are you guys in?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:05 PM
In college I spent a few summers on a road patching crew. All the college kids wore their hard hats backward. It was fashion/identity I guess.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I am not sure I comprehend this thread yet.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM
I don't know what cultural backwaters y'all live in, but all the cool kids are wearing them Beaver Cleaver style.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:00 PM
And get off his lawn, people!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM
I was about 10 or so and saw this movie "Over the Top" with Sylvester Stallone. He was a trucker/pro arm wrestler that had some kid (his son?) with him while he was trucking and competing in arm wrestling tournaments. Anyway, he had a secret weapon... when he needed to turn up his power to defeat an opponent he would turn his cap around (proof: http://i.giphy.com/3oxRmpE9qph8XroPFS.gif). This always stuck with me, and now I tend to wear my hat backwards, because why not be at full power all the time?

Last edited by nate; 05-14-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM
And don't get me started on flat-brimmed caps!

Last edited by Fleetwood; 05-15-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Makes for a great sunburn on the forehead.

Quite stunned that the regular US Army replaced their functional hat that had a brim with the baret.
I thought berets were part of their dress uniform, and weren't supposed to be worn in the field.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I started wearing two hats to see if I could start a trend. A brief marketing survey indicated it wasn't catching on. I didn't consider having the bill turned around on one of them. I feel the fool now, that could have made all the difference.
Back in the 1970s the kids I knew were well aware that if you wore two hats at once, with one backwards, you were set for your Sherlock Holmes impression.

Last edited by Andy L; 05-15-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Back in the 1970s the kids I knew were well aware that if you wore two hats at once, with one backwards, you were set for your Sherlock Holmes impression.
Yeah, I'm making a note to myself. Next time I want to start a trend to think about it a little more, and not just base it on a free hat handed out in a bar during a football game.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I was about 10 or so and saw this movie "Over the Top" with Sylvester Stallone. He was a trucker/pro arm wrestler that had some kid (his son?) with him while he was trucking and competing in arm wrestling tournaments. Anyway, he had a secret weapon... when he needed to turn up his power to defeat an opponent he would turn his cap around (proof: http://i.giphy.com/3oxRmpE9qph8XroPFS.gif). This always stuck with me, and now I tend to wear my hat backwards, because why not be at full power all the time?
Like the "Turbo" button on a Packard Bell PC in 1992. I don't think I ever saw one turned off, and if I was at a friend's house and turned it off to see if there was any difference they'd immediately turn it back on and tell me I was going to break their computer because it HAD to be on "Turbo."

Just wear a green LED somewhere on your body and you can drop the hat thing.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtar KronJonDerSohn View Post
Just wear a green LED somewhere on your body and you can drop the hat thing.
Green is for Crips. Red is for Bloods.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 PM
I seen Rocky once talking about turning the cap about, was likened to a switch being flicked in his head and then he became a steam train.

I see it has more to do with the fact that such just goes to show that one has failed the IQ test.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM
One simply cannot drive with the T-tops off (or convertible top down) without wearing a baseball cap backwards. Or being bald. I'll stick with the backward cap.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit View Post
Complaining about backwards baseball caps? Jesus, what decade are you guys in?
I once spied a ragamuffin whose Phrygian cap was inclined at a most rakish angle. The impudence!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 AM
I'd turn my utility cap backwards at the rifle range. It was permitted there. The brim interfered with my view of the rear sights of the M-16A1.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 AM
I don't know why more people don't do as I do and wear a bee keeper's hat.

Maybe I'm not all fashionable, but you don't see bees bothering me.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
A civilian beret has among its advantages the ability to shape the brim in multiple ways. But the military types tend to be too small for that; maybe you guys should try to push something like this champion's beret into military fashion?
Closed Thread