Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Are employees and visitors to the NRA HQ allowed to carry firearms?

Does anyone know if people who visit the NRA, or its employees are allowed to carry weapons when within the premises of their headquarters in Virginia? Don't need answer fast, just genuinely curious.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Poking around on google, it seems that the NRA allows its employees to carry weapons. Visitors may only carry weapons into the firing range. Visitors are not permitted to carry weapons elsewhere in the facility.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 PM
So they do exercise some gun control. I would have guessed.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Visitors are not permitted to carry weapons elsewhere in the facility.
WHAT!!?!!
How the hell are the supposed to defend themselves if some shit goes down while they are visiting?
And who the hell does the NRA think it is to take away their right to do so?!!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Oh, that's right: there's no difference whatsoever between a private organization and the government. Why do I keep forgetting that?!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Suspended
Not if they're Muslim.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by akennett View Post
Oh, that's right: there's no difference whatsoever between a private organization and the government. Why do I keep forgetting that?!
I get your point about the difference between a private organization and the government, but do they believe in the right to carry on not? Just because they have the legal right to have such a ban doesn't mean that they have to.

Do they trust the general public to be armed or not? They're rhetoric would seem to indicate that they do, but they're actions seem to say otherwise.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
It's just a thread on another message board (a pro-gun message board, natch), but this thread from a couple of years ago quotes an e-mail from an NRA PR guy as having said "If you were to visit our office, you would most likely come across people open-carrying, both employees and visitors alike. Concealed carry is allowed as well for both visitors and employees."

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akennett View Post
Not sure what your point is. It seems that the NRA is of the opinion that there are some places were it is reasonable to limit who should have guns, but that is limited to around them.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Poking around on google, it seems that the NRA allows its employees to carry weapons. Visitors may only carry weapons into the firing range. Visitors are not permitted to carry weapons elsewhere in the facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
It's just a thread on another message board (a pro-gun message board, natch), but this thread from a couple of years ago quotes an e-mail from an NRA PR guy as having said "If you were to visit our office, you would most likely come across people open-carrying, both employees and visitors alike. Concealed carry is allowed as well for both visitors and employees."
So who's right here? Some actual cites would be nice but it's difficult to find anything online other than second hand claims.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
WHAT!!?!!
How the hell are the supposed to defend themselves if some shit goes down while they are visiting?
And who the hell does the NRA think it is to take away their right to do so?!!
I suspect that you're being sarcastic. Nevertheless, three points--

#1, only a complete lunatic would attack the NRA, of all places.

#2, NRA HQ is going to have a far higher percentage of people with guns than almost anywhere else on earth.

#3, the right of private property is ALSO an extremely important right. When two rights collide, something is going to have to give.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
#3, the right of private property is ALSO an extremely important right. When two rights collide, something is going to have to give.
But this again misses the point. They have the right to enact such a ban, but it seems hypocritical for them to do so.

This assumes of course that they actually do have a ban.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:51 AM
For a business to prohibit concealed carry in Virginia - they would either need to inform the visitor, or post a sign. In many states the size/shape of the sign is prescribed by law and those signs that do not meet these requirements are not valid. Virginia does not have sign requirements so theoretically the sign could be of any size or type. I'm engaging a bit of reasoning by induction, but if the NRA headquarters prohibited concealed carry, I would think an image with such a sign would be readily available.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
But this again misses the point. They have the right to enact such a ban, but it seems hypocritical for them to do so.

Yup. I tried to be ironic with my sarcastic post. Maybe I should have added the line "Somebody call the NRA!!!"
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Anecdotal post on a gun forum, but it jibes with many others that say there are no signs disallowing visitors from carrying concealed there, so it is therefore allowed. You don't need affirmative permission to carry, you need explicit signage disallowing it (on private property). It would be illogical and hypocritical for the NRA to disallow concealed carry. That's one of many reasons they chose to locate their HQ in VA, rather than in anti-gun DC or MD.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137935 (read to the last post)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:28 AM
The Central Scrutinizer
This article from the Daily Kos states that the author was told by one employee that visitors were not allowed to be armed. At the bottom of the article there is an update that says the employee was wrong or the policy had changed. The article is from 2012 and it was updated in 2014.

Here is another (obviously biased) article that also states that employees and visitors are allowed to be armed following the laws of Virginia.

Last edited by Loach; 06-16-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
Not if they're Muslim.
Comments like this are not appropriate for this forum. No warning issued, but do not do this again.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Quote:

Not really. The NRA is also big on gun safety--see the Eddie Eagle program, and so forth. They may want to assure themselves that anybody who carries on their property does so safely. There is nothing inherently hypocritical about that.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Not really. The NRA is also big on gun safety--see the Eddie Eagle program, and so forth. They may want to assure themselves that anybody who carries on their property does so safely. There is nothing inherently hypocritical about that.
But, if I'm not mistaken, they support public carry laws. They're not concerned about people carrying safely in public?
Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
I am a lifetime NRA member.

I live in Northern Virginia.

I have visited the range and the offices, which are co-located, many times, carrying both openly and concealed, neither of which are prohibited.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:29 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
Quote:
Perhaps you could provide the specific link from which you drew this conclusion?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
#1, only a complete lunatic would attack the NRA, of all places.
That'll keep them safe from all the people who go shooting sprees. Except for the ones who are complete lunatics.

Oh wait...
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Quote:
But, if I'm not mistaken, they support public carry laws. They're not concerned about people carrying safely in public?
The NRA believes, and has a respectable amount of evidence for, the proposition that law-abiding owners of firearms do not cause significant social problems when allowed to carry in public. You are free to disbelieve it, but their position is neither inconsistent or patently ludicrous.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 AM
↑ ↑ ↑ This
Old 06-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
The NRA believes, and has a respectable amount of evidence for, the proposition that law-abiding owners of firearms do not cause significant social problems when allowed to carry in public. You are free to disbelieve it, but their position is neither inconsistent or patently ludicrous.
I am quite aware of what they believe and whether or not I believe it isn't relevant to the point. But if they believe that, then why wouldn't they believe the same to be true in their headquarters? People keep missing the premise of this conversation and repeating points that have already been made and aren't really relevant to the conversation.

In any case we don't even know if the premise is true. It's looking like, in fact they do allow the public to carry in their building, which is something I'm inclined to believe.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
Quote:
Still waiting for the answer to my question: what links did your Googling find?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
Still waiting for the answer to my question: what links did your Googling find?
I found several message board posts with no cites whatsoever, then found the first link in Loach's post above. I assumed since they actually called that they had the correct info. I didn't scroll down enough to see the update.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Some of the confusion (the false information that the NRA prohibits carry at national HQ) comes from the fact that the NRA has indeed banned carry at their national conferences/meetings. IIRC, at least some of these were due in part to the location of the conference, either it was held in a restrictive state or city (like New York or California) or that the state prohibited carry in the particular venue.

The argument was then that the NRA should have only held their annual conference in a locale that respected the right to carry.