Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Toilet rough-in ... 12" vs 14"

It's time for a new toilet. I found instructions for measuring the rough-in size. The existing toilet measures 14" from wall to center of bolt but the tank sits a bit over two inches from the wall. Does that mean the toilet was for a 12" rough-in and a new one for 12" would fit just the same ... and a 14" would sit closer to the wall?

I ask because toilets for 14" seem pretty rare and much more expensive. If a new 12" one would fit the same as the current one I would be fine with that and with saving a few hundred dollars.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Saving a few hundred dollars is a good idea ... and, yes, the 12" backset toilet is fine ... gives you those 2" of air space to keep mold down as well.

Professional tip here: The flange bolts, the two on each side of the base, coat them in Vaseline before you cover them ... that makes undoing then years from now easier.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks. Off to Lowe's I go for the sale on a nice new Kohler. Will mention the Vaseline thing to the handyman (which I am definitely not).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump