Old 10-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member
How To Cook Egg Noodles In The Microwave. NEED ANSWER FAST

I just want to cook egg noodles in the microwave.
I don't want your Granny's maaaahvelous recipe !
I just want to cook egg noodles in the microwave.

How do I do it?
Need answer fast.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Charter Member
You know that it will take longer than if you just boil it, right? Use a MW-safe bowl, throw in pasta, add a few inches of water, cook for 3 or 4 minutes longer than what it says on the box.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Boil water in large bowl in microwave. Throw noodles in boiling water, cover and wait normal cooking time from noodle package plus a few minutes. Any way you do this with a microwave won't get you best results and as Chefguy says won't save you any time either.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:07 PM
Charter Member
Faster in a pressure cooker.

StG
Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM
Here's how I do bow-tie pasta for a side dish for two people:

Big 1 quart Pyrex measuring container
1/3 cup pasta
1-1/2 cups of water

Put in microwave, cook for 14 minutes.

Perfect every time. And then I sauce and cheese it right in the hot Pyrex bowl. Easy!
Old 10-31-2016, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Here's how I do bow-tie pasta for a side dish for two people:

Big 1 quart Pyrex measuring container
1/3 cup pasta
1-1/2 cups of water

Put in microwave, cook for 14 minutes.

Perfect every time. And then I sauce and cheese it right in the hot Pyrex bowl. Easy!

But but.... Bow tie pasta only takes 8 minutes to cook on a stove. What's the point?
Old 10-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
But but.... Bow tie pasta only takes 8 minutes to cook on a stove. What's the point?
Maybe the OP is somewhere without a stove. Like a breakroom at work.
Would have been nice if it was mentioned in the first place.

Last edited by running coach; 10-31-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Usually takes me- 9-10 + the wait to get the water to a boil.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Quote:
The kind I use takes about 12 minutes. The point is that it's cooking away by itself in the microwave out of your way, giving you the whole stovetop to do sauce, etc. Also, the Pyrex container is much easier to wash afterwards than a pasta pot. Also, the Pyrex container gets very hot, and as I say, is perfect for mixing up the pasta and sauce and keeping it warm until you can serve it.

I mix in a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream, a handful of grated parmesan, and a good dash of freshly ground black pepper into the drained bowties (or penne) in the glass container. It's a super-easy way to have fresh pasta as a side dish to go with, say, steak or lamb chops.

ETA: yes, and there's no wait for the water to come to a boil, wolfman. Good point.

Last edited by teela brown; 10-31-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
If you're starting from a full boil. Takes time to get water up to temp. Doing it in the microwave also allows you the freedom of setting the timer and walking away from it, not having to remember to turn off your stove. Stick everything in a container, set timer, walk away. Not that I've ever done noodles in the microwave, but I could see why someone might want to.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Back in the Army we used to cook Mac & Cheese in the MW all the time. Just get a microwave safe dish like a glass casserole or something, put water in it, bring it to a boil, toss in the pasta and boil as normal. Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Usually takes me- 9-10 + the wait to get the water to a boil.
Totally unnecessary. Use a frying pan. Put it on the stove. Dump in the pasta you want to cook. Add enough cold water to cover it. Turn it on high, then time it from the time it comes to a boil. The pasta won't stick together (guaranteed), you save energy and water.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Charter Member
Thank you, one & all.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Now -- for next time.

Throw away your egg noodle store bought packages, and make something really good.

Google /nokedle recipe/, make that instead, in half the time, twice as good.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:08 PM
This (PDF) says don't do it on page 4.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Now -- for next time.

Throw away your egg noodle store bought packages, and make something really good.

Google /nokedle recipe/, make that instead, in half the time, twice as good.
And make sure to raise your own chickens for the eggs, and grow and mill your own wheat for the flour. Wouldn't kill you to dig your own well for the water either.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
And make sure to raise your own chickens for the eggs, and grow and mill your own wheat for the flour. Wouldn't kill you to dig your own well for the water either.
I love nokedli/galuska/spaetzle and make them from time to time (usually when I make goulash or paprikash), but there is no way they are easier to make than opening up a bag and sticking it in boiling water. And they leave more stuff to cleanup. Plus they're not any faster, if you're doing them properly and letting the batter rest before forming them into the little dumplings (which either require you having something like this or using a method where you put the batter on a cutting board and cut them into your boiling water (usually with a spoon). ETA: like this.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-01-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I love nokedli/galuska/spaetzle and make them from time to time (usually when I make goulash or paprikash), but there is no way they are easier to make than opening up a bag and sticking it in boiling water. And they leave more stuff to cleanup. Plus they're not any faster, if you're doing them properly and letting the batter rest before forming them into the little dumplings (which either require you having something like this or using a method where you put the batter on a cutting board and cut them into your boiling water (usually with a spoon). ETA: like this.
I own a spaetzle-maker but never use it....the dough sticks to the plane. Even if it didn't, it would be a horrible clean-up job.

I just beat an egg in a mixing bowl and add flour (plus S&P) until I have a stiff dough, using a little hot water if I overflour. Cut into smallish dumplings with a teaspoon, right in the bowl, and drop into boiling water. They're done when they float.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I own a spaetzle-maker but never use it....the dough sticks to the plane. Even if it didn't, it would be a horrible clean-up job..
Sounds like you might be making your spaetzle too thick then? I've never had an issue with them sticking. I mix it up until it's like a thick pancake batter. If you scroll down in this thread, you can see pictures of how I make them and their consistency. It's easy peasy.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
It's easy peasy.
But it is an extra couple of things to clean (plus the bowl and the mixing spoon) and, like I said, much easier to open that bag and dump it in the boiling water. There's also that potato-ricer looking thing you can use for the more noodly type of spaetzle. ETA: This thing.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-01-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:09 PM
I prefer the mill type Spaetzle maker.
https://fantes.com/weston-spaetz...-and-food-mill

Nice and dumplingy

Last edited by wolfman; 11-01-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Sounds like you might be making your spaetzle too thick then? I've never had an issue with them sticking. I mix it up until it's like a thick pancake batter. If you scroll down in this thread, you can see pictures of how I make them and their consistency. It's easy peasy.
Great Googly Moogly! I've always made it into a stiff noodle-like dough. I'll give your way a try.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Great Googly Moogly! I've always made it into a stiff noodle-like dough. I'll give your way a try.
If you watch this video, that's around the consistency I aim for. In case the time stamp doesn't work, it's at about 7:55. There's a wide range of consistencies that will work, but that's pretty much exactly what I aim for. Like a very thick pancake batter.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
It's not sticking to the spaetzle maker! She's a WITCH!!!!

(I have one of these. Was I a fool, or should it work just as well?)

http://t.vermontcountrystore.com/sto...UmQBoC1o7w_wcB
Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
It's not sticking to the spaetzle maker! She's a WITCH!!!!

(I have one of these. Was I a fool, or should it work just as well?)

http://t.vermontcountrystore.com/sto...UmQBoC1o7w_wcB
Nope, that should work great. The hopper style should be even easier than the scrape-with-the-triangular-thing-across-the-holes style.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
If this works, you've just changed my life.

Pick out your favorite piece in the Chicago Art Institute, and make sure it matches the sofa. Next time I'm in town I'll steal it for you.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Charter Member
Actually, here's a video with someone doing it with the hopper style maker. Note the consistency. That's perhaps a tad thicker than I make it, but same idea. There's a lot of leeway as to how hydrated the dough/batter should be. But it shouldn't be something you can roll out into noodles. It's closer to a batter.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
If this works, you've just changed my life.

Pick out your favorite piece in the Chicago Art Institute, and make sure it matches the sofa. Next time I'm in town I'll steal it for you.
Hmm...it's either gonna be a Kandinsky or one of the Gerhard Richter Ice series.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-01-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Do you think Lorado Taft's Fountain of the Great Lakes would fit in your back yard? It would make an awesome bird bath.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foun...e_Great_Lakes#
Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Actually, here's a video with someone doing it with the hopper style maker. Note the consistency. That's perhaps a tad thicker than I make it, but same idea.
My German is a little rusty. What th' hell is he putting into his spaetzle?

I see flour, salt, nutmeg (?), eggs....and then a bowl of something that looks like dirt.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Quote:

I see flour, salt, nutmeg (?), eggs....and then a bowl of something that looks like dirt.
Ground hazelnut.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

Oh, I didn't even notice any of that. I just linked to the first spaetzle recipe that showcased a hopper and a good shot of the consistency of the dough/batter. But I notice now that it says "haselnuss-spaetzle," which as levdrakon points out, is hazelnut. And it is, as you surmise, nutmeg (Muskatnuss) that's grated there.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Oh, I didn't even notice any of that. I just linked to the first spaetzle recipe that showcased a hopper and a good shot of the consistency of the dough/batter. But I notice now that it says "haselnuss-spaetzle," which as levdrakon points out, is hazelnut. And it is, as you surmise, nutmeg (Muskatnuss) that's grated there.
The implied cannibalism at the end of the video is pretty disturbing though.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The implied cannibalism at the end of the video is pretty disturbing though.
Oh, the only videos I WATCH have implied cannibalism in them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzYmy3bCqkM