Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
PS4 games vs. Steam games?

I had a PS4 in the past so I know about that system.

I am looking into Steam games, do they compare pretty well to PS4 games? My Win 7 laptop is 6 years old and it's not very powerful if that matters.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Steam is just a seller of PC games. It allows you to buy and download PC games without requiring a disc.

A few publishers have their own shopfronts, Origin for EA games etc, but generally 95%+ of PC games will be available on Steam.

The biggest selling points of Steam are.

A persistent library. Install the Steam Client (an app essentially) to a PC, log in, and you can download games from your library whenever you like.

Sales. Big sales 2-3 times a year and constant individual title sales over the course of the year.

There are other fringe benefits which may on may not appeal to you. A Workshop for Mods that certain games have, a general ease of multiplayer matchups, that sort of thing.

As you correctly surmise, your main stumbling block is going to be your laptop.

A 6 year old laptop that, I assume, wasn't especially powerful to begin with is going to have severe problems with most recent games, especially the more active, FPS type.

Your PS4 will look better for those sort of games without question.

That's not to say you can't use Steam, you're just going to have to pay close attention to system specs and probably stick to older titles.

In which case the obvious choice is to check out GOG or Good Old Games.

https://gog.com/.

Their Shtick is to take older classic games from the past 20 years, and update them to run properly on modern versions of Windows and rerelease them at very reasonable prices, which again are often on sale.

Do you have a particular genre/game type you enjoy? I could probably recommend some things from their catalogue.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 PM
I don't like the FPS games at all, I like air combat or car racing games.

I will probably get a new laptop soon since I know this one may not last long.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 02-05-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Sorry for double post.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 02-05-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I don't like the FPS games at all, I like air combat or car racing games.

Ah there you have me. Air combat and car racing are two genres that I don't actually enjoy.

Nevermind. I'm sure there are others around who could recommend stuff in that genre.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Actually. How do you feel about Space Combat.

The fantastic Free Space 2 is on Gog.

https://gog.com/game/freespace_2

As is the I-War games.

https://gog.com/game/independence_war_deluxe
https://gog.com/game/independence_war_2
Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 PM
It's difficult to say without knowing your current (or upcoming) laptop's specs. A six year old laptop is probably at a disadvantage whereas a new laptop could easily be more capable than a PS4.

PC games, in general on a modern system, are typically at least as good and usually better than the same game on a console owing to the additional power a PC can have. Sometimes you get a "bad port" where the developers half-assed the PC version and it's lacking in advanced graphics options or suffers from other issues but generally the PC version ranges from "as good" to "superior".

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-05-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:15 PM
I don't have a PS 4, but I've been using Steam for over 10 years, currently have nearly 300 games on Steam, 88 of which are installed right now and every game I've ever purchased is available for download whenever I want.

The Steam sales are worth waiting for to stock up on games. There's at least 6-7 big sales every year, and there's always at least a few games on sale at any time. It really helps to make a wishlist and check it once in a while to see if there are deals on anything on your list. Let me put it this way: I got a lot of Steam gift certificates this past fall and winter, and I think went from 220 or 230 Steam games before black friday to 283 games today And I can find a lot of games I want for under $3.00 each.

As far as your 6 year old laptop: If you don't play newer first person shooters (Call of Duty etc), and are careful about checking game specs before purchase, you should be able to find a lot of stuff on Steam that you can play. There's a ton of "retro" style games out there, plus plenty of older games that have been tweaked to run on modern systems.

There is also a web site called Can You Run It? that will check your system specs against whatever game you want, and tell you whether you can run it.

Oh, and if you do get some Steam games, then upgrade to a newer laptop or PC at some point, all you need to do is download Steam on the new machine and sign in. All your stuff will be available!

Last edited by Apocalypso; 02-05-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It's difficult to say without knowing your current (or upcoming) laptop's specs. A six year old laptop is probably at a disadvantage whereas a new laptop could easily be more capable than a PS4.

PC games, in general on a modern system, are typically at least as good and usually better than the same game on a console owing to the additional power a PC can have. Sometimes you get a "bad port" where the developers half-assed the PC version and it's lacking in advanced graphics options or suffers from other issues but generally the PC version ranges from "as good" to "superior".
But as you yourself point out, you need a "modern" system. And that's actually a terrible adjective to use, because what you actually mean is a system with good dedicate graphics hardware, which is basically something no one buys unless they want to play games on their PC.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:19 AM
We need the specs of your current PC to give you intelligent recommendations. We could also recommend specs for a new PC (or laptop), if you want.

Thing to keep in ind is that PC gaming has a lot of titles that will run even on non-gaming hardware. Either because the game can scale down a lot, or because the title is older.

Air combat games and racing games are pretty well represented on PC, racing more than air combat I think, especially when it comes to simulation games. Again, your specs would be useful in making recommendations.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
But as you yourself point out, you need a "modern" system. And that's actually a terrible adjective to use, because what you actually mean is a system with good dedicate graphics hardware, which is basically something no one buys unless they want to play games on their PC.
Yes, again, OP, when you are in the market for a new laptop or PC, check here first for recommendations. You will need something with a dedicated GPU.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 02-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
I like air combat or car racing games.
Can't help much with air combat. WWI/WWII and helicopter sims are my speed but I haven't played any recently. My favorites for racing are the following:

Dirt 2
Dirt 3
Flatout 2
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
GT Legends
Insane (available from GoG)
Insane 2
Need for Speed (any of them, really)

Look into driving sims as well, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator in particular.

If you're at all interested in what lies beneath the bodywork, check out Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, Automation, or GearCity.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
My favorites for racing are the following:

Dirt 2
Dirt 3
Flatout 2
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
GT Legends
Insane (available from GoG)
Insane 2
Need for Speed (any of them, really)
Forgot one.
Next Car Game: Wreckfest

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Unless you need the portability of a laptop do not get a laptop. Get a decent desktop PC.

Dollar-for-dollar laptops under perform PCs and PCs are much more easily upgraded down the road (e.g. a new video card) which can save you even more money. Most laptops are also not that great at running games (and the ones that are can be quite expensive and are usually big).

If you have need of the portability of a laptop for work or school or whatever then of course get one. If you want to game on it be sure to keep an eye on what it uses for graphics. The best ones will have NVidia or AMD (does AMD have a mobile chip?). The cheap ones will use Intel graphics (which is fine but not so much for games).

Also, while it will cost more, an SSD is worlds better than a laptop mechanical hard drive.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 02-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 PM
I only buy laptops since I like the portability.

So what specs do I need? I use an external monitor so that it can be bigger, right now I have a 23 inch monitor. I might get a bigger monitor with my new laptop. I will likely buy a Toshiba or Lenovo since I've had good reliability with both of those brands.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Quote:
I only buy laptops since I like the portability.

So what specs do I need? I use an external monitor so that it can be bigger, right now I have a 23 inch monitor. I might get a bigger monitor with my new laptop. I will likely buy a Toshiba or Lenovo since I've had good reliability with both of those brands.
Good gaming laptops are pricey, and you definitely want to buy one with the new GTX 10xx series GPU's as they significantly outperform the current crop of laptop GPU's.

Lenovo is saying their models with the GTX1060 and GTX 1050ti aren't available yet. I would not recommend their current 960 series. And just as a comparison point their cheapest 960 laptop the Y700 is $800. You could build a small, sleek form factor desktop for the same price that easily packs twice the CPU and 3+ times the GPU power of that laptop.

I couldn't even find anything I'd call a gaming laptop on the Toshiba website, though I didn't look for long. Laptops from the likes of Asus and Gigabyte with a 1060 start at $1200 too, so if that's out of your budget I would say wait until they are a bit cheaper. There might be some more affordable 1050ti models out there.

The 960m is really a poor performer and spending top dollar for a 980m doesn't make sense when the new laptops GPU's are just arriving.

So yeah, what you are looking for is a quad core CPU + a GTX 1050ti or GTX 1060.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 02-11-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Missed the edit window:

Or, as Whackamole suggests, how about leveraging the two? Keep your current laptop for portability's sake, and get a cheaper, but powerful desktop for gaming. You can even stream your games form your desktop to your laptop or your TV with something like the Steam Link, as alternatives to playing games at a desk.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:15 AM
I figure my 6 year old laptop won't last long . I'm surprised it lasted this long but I don't take it outside my house very often.

If money was not a factor I would buy a new desktop and a laptop but my budget is limited.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member
I just found something interesting that I immediately felt the need to share here. Today I learned that you can buy external graphics cards for your laptop. This seems like a possible solution to give a little more life to my not-new laptop.

https://howtogeek.com/295442/the...o-your-laptop/
Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I just found something interesting that I immediately felt the need to share here. Today I learned that you can buy external graphics cards for your laptop. This seems like a possible solution to give a little more life to my not-new laptop.

https://howtogeek.com/295442/the...o-your-laptop/
Way too expensive, and you have to hope it's compatible with models going forward. $500 for just the enclosure is ridiculous frankly.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Even setting aside the humorous cost level, how does it connect? o.o I certainly wouldn't want my graphics card running over USB, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what other ports my laptop even HAS to accept input from an external device.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airk View Post
Even setting aside the humorous cost level, how does it connect? o.o I certainly wouldn't want my graphics card running over USB, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what other ports my laptop even HAS to accept input from an external device.
Two of the models in Enright3's link seem to use Thunderbolt 3 connections which can reach up to 40 Gbps (HDMI is 10 Gbps).

You would need a fairly recent laptop to have the right connections, but as long as the laptop is built to handle it, bandwidth shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Last edited by AHarris; 03-02-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Just saw this on Linus. the new Dell Inspiron gaming laptops starting at $800.