Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Bullshit fake news from the left

And, yes, I know the right does it too. Circulating widely at present is this fake photoshopped picture of Steve Bannon.

Now come on, he's ugly enough as he is, why the fuck would people need to add to it? This stupid crap from the left and right needs to stop. The divisions are stark enough already, aggravating them with this sort of shit is beyond stupid.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
And, yes, I know the right does it too. Circulating widely at present is this fake photoshopped picture of Steve Bannon.

Now come on, he's ugly enough as he is, why the fuck would people need to add to it? This stupid crap from the left and right needs to stop. The divisions are stark enough already, aggravating them with this sort of shit is beyond stupid.
...would you cut the false equivalence bullshit. The United States of Fucking America is currently being run by an imbecile who has one of most evil people in the world as his most trusted advisor. And you want people to stop posting memes? The fuck? You think this is the problem?

How the fuck do you expect me to stop some teenager in Wisconsin from photoshopping a picture of Steve Bannon and uploading it to the internet? This is not fake news. This is fucking memes. And if this is the sort of thing that you think is causing "divisions" then you are a fucking moron.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Quote:

Well, i guess that first you should define what "news" means to you.

Is it "any sort of infomation, including what some dude told me at the bar the other day"? "Legitimate media"? "Random facebook stuff"? All of the above?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 AM
I have to echo the above. Someone altering a picture is not news. It's not even a rumor. It's literally just an image. Someone essentially put on a filter that emphasized red, to make him look worse. It is a meme in the truest sense, as memes are altered in transmission to be more transmissible.

I would also like to remind you that tu quoque is not a valid argument. There is no reason to so desperately look for it. You do not need to pretend that a meme is somehow the same as "fake news."
Old 02-12-2017, 05:56 AM
I agree that the link in the OP isnt news. However, if it is being presented as such, then it is certainly fake. Or at least molehill mountaineering.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Nice tactic. Decrying as "fake news" anything you don't like (memes, negative polls) so that when your side actually distributes fake news as a strategy it's all normalized. Both sides do it!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
I agree that the link in the OP isnt news. However, if it is being presented as such, then it is certainly fake. Or at least molehill mountaineering.
Propaganda. I guess that the right name is propaganda.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Propaganda. I guess that the right name is propaganda.
Yes! Good call.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 AM
The Right has a new meme, a new talking point, a new dismissive method of ignorance promotion, and that is to label things "fake News". This, as the President's advisor and press seceratary almost literally make up bullshit and attempt to pass it off as fact. What time is it, 7 a.m.? I need a drink.

Last edited by bobot; 02-12-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
I'm sure the OP will take comfort in knowing that I dislike Stave Bannon for his political views, not because of any unflattering photos of him I may have seen.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The Right has a new meme, a new talking point, a new dismissive method of ignorance promotion, and that is to label things "fake News". This, as the President's advisor and press seceratary almost literally make up bullshit and attempt to pass it off as fact. What time is it, 7 a.m.? I need a drink.
This is for real, and this is despicable, aldiboronti. The fake news that propagated during the election is a major threat to modern democracy, and the people who are riding this threat to victory are desperate to distract people from it. You're playing right into their hands, and you should stop.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
The article rather fails by ending with this:

Quote:
Again, not very nice stuff to say. Not very nice at all. But then again, he is the guy helping dismantle everything good about the United States at the moment. So itís hard to feel too sorry for him.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
Yeah, the guy deserves more credit. "Helping"?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 AM
This is fake "news": http://mediamatters.org/research/200...-report/143921. An alleged news source altering facts.

Some idiot with Twitter is just some idiot with Twitter.

Do you not see the difference?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM
So some anonymous clown adjusts some things in Photoshop... and you're calling it a vast left-wing conspiracy? Sad.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Al, it's satire. Top public figures are going to be mocked. Caricatures exaggerate facial features in political cartoons, and enhanced photos have been around since the invention of the camera. Besides, Bannon needs to see for himself how being under continual scrutiny and scorn feels and reap what he sows.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

But you found this kind of shit hilarious, right?

I don't recall a whole lot of outrage from the right over this.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
How the fuck do you expect me to stop some teenager in Wisconsin from photoshopping a picture of Steve Bannon and uploading it to the internet? This is not fake news. This is fucking memes. And if this is the sort of thing that you think is causing "divisions" then you are a fucking moron.
The President of the U.S., his major advisers and media pimps delude the American public with reprehensible lies.

Some teen-aged opponent of the President uploads a fake photo.

It seems like a perfect equivalence, no? Give aldiboronti a doggy biscuit! Trump and Bannon are now free to continue their heinous world-threatening lies because "the 'left' does it too."
Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 AM
The difference between fake news from the left and fake news from the right, is that the fake news from the right all comes from the White house.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
... Give aldiboronti a doggy biscuit! ...
I'd rather give that fool a cactus upon which to sit.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:21 AM
As someone that reads left leaning news articles, i saw the thread title and was worried I may have been victim to a fake news story. Well, I've never seen this altered picture of Bannon before, so I really question the premise. You'd think if this was a widespread thing I'd have seen it before some right wing asshat pointed it out.

aldiboronti needs to go searching for left wing fake news. Meanwhile we can watch the presidents representatives creating fake news live on air.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
You all got whooshed!

This is so obviously a parody thread. You all actually believed that someone could be so stupid as to think that some random person on the internet photoshopping an image for lulz is "fake news" and of moral equivalence to the President of the United States lying to everybody on a daily basis.

Nice spoof, aldiboronti!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
You know how there's that creationist letter signed by 700 scientists, and then there's that anti-creationist letter signed by 700 scientists named Steve or Stephanie?

I feel like we could probably do that same thing with fake news. For every anti-Republican fake news story generated by some kid on Twitter, we could come up with an anti-Democratic fake news story generated by a Republican official.

In response to that one meme by some random teenager, I give you twelve insane, bigoted, and false memes passed along by a GOP official.

Which is worse: saying that Bannon is uglier than he is, or falsely quoting Senator Warren as saying, "If women need to be raped by Muslims to prove our tolerance, so be it. Then thank goodness for Planned Parenthood"?

The shit coming from members of the Republican party is, in the past few years, absolutely eclipsing whatever the left is generating.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 02-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Jizmodo is not "news", dumbass. But given your track record, I can see how you'd be confused.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Circulating widely at present is this fake photoshopped picture of Steve Bannon.
Waitaminute

Your saying it's a fake photoshopped picture?

Wouldn't that mean it was a picture that was not photoshopped?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:12 AM
"This is your body on greed and stupid. Any questions?"
Old 02-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wouldn't that mean it was a picture that was not photoshopped?
That ain't no fake photoshopped photo - not!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
You all got whooshed!

This is so obviously a parody thread. You all actually believed that someone could be so stupid as to think that some random person on the internet photoshopping an image for lulz is "fake news" and of moral equivalence to the President of the United States lying to everybody on a daily basis.

Nice spoof, aldiboronti!
First I get whoosed by the Borowitz Report and now this. Well done, aldiboronti!

Mods, please change my user name to gullibulus.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:30 AM
The people on the left in the US that say fake news put Trump in office are twice as right as they would wish to be.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
I wasn't told there would be a math portion.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Fake news? Really? Has the so-called president obliterated the term "fake news" so thoroughly that his supporters don't even need something to be news before crying it? This is one of the worst cases of false equivalency I've ever seen.

If I hadn't seen so many Trump supporters that are barely tethered to reality I wouldn't think this pitting could possibly be in good faith.

Also, I could barely tell the picture was photoshopped. The dark side has taken its toll on Bannon.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Cirrhosis takes it's toll.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomThought View Post
Fake news? Really? Has the so-called president obliterated the term "fake news" so thoroughly that his supporters don't even need something to be news before crying it? This is one of the worst cases of false equivalency I've ever seen.

If I hadn't seen so many Trump supporters that are barely tethered to reality I wouldn't think this pitting could possibly be in good faith.

Also, I could barely tell the picture was photoshopped. The dark side has taken its toll on Bannon.
How do you know that Bannon hasn't taken a toll on the dark side?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member
I would have guessed that the other photo was the doctored one.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM
I, for one, am shocked at all the cactus abuse that is spoken of so freely here. Cactus never did anything to you guys, stop implying that it's ok to stick them up assholes' assholes.

#saguarolivesmatter
Old 02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung Mung View Post
I, for one, am shocked at all the cactus abuse that is spoken of so freely here. Cactus never did anything to you guys, stop implying that it's ok to stick them up assholes' assholes.
Can I suggest an Alt-Right Dildo?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:47 PM
I opened this thread looking for the very best example of left wing fake news, and if this is it, then it appears that we really do only have a fake news problem on the right.

So, that's good news, I guess.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Can I suggest an Alt-Right Dildo?
Mm, Deus vult.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I opened this thread looking for the very best example of left wing fake news, and if this is it, then it appears that we really do only have a fake news problem on the right.

I remember how a professional creator of fake news pointed out that the fake news bits were consumed by the left and the right, but there was a big difference.

There were less bites coming from the left side because many times that side countered or checked more often if a bit of news was true.

A lot of the right wing are like the Dodo birds of old times. Very naive and easy marks.

What the OP showed were some bloggers that fell for a very unflattering image of Bannon that was made uglier with photo shop. Virtually none from the big media nor the sources I use has used that altered image.

BTW: The cite on the OP and even the links of the places using the altered image may be left leaning, centrist or from entertainment. And the ones there do point or remark that the worst image of Bannon was altered. Yes, even The Grapevine that Gizmodo cites does offer a clarification:

http://thegrapevine.theroot.com/did-...h-s-1792235082
Quote:
Editorís note: We, here at The Root, are fully aware that this photo has been photoshopped. We are also aware that Bannon is a white nationalist. And, we are acutely aware that former president Obama had his faced darkened to appear more sinister and where weíre yíall then? Lighten up. And donít come for us in the comments because Bannonís policy and presidency (we are under no illusion that Trump is running anything) is vile. Consider this an alternative face.

What is worse for the OP is that what The Grapevine is pointing out is a screen shot of a Facebook page. Together with the clarification, that looks more like pointing at the zeitgeist in the air, while pointing also at the image alteration. Exactly what the professional fake news guy noted about the left or non political sites, they are more prone to check.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post

Yeah, this. A US president was just elected based on a widespread systematic pattern of consistent disinformation and lies, and now the entire administration is engaged in systematic deception about everything from the number of attendees at the inauguration to the alleged dangers of Muslims. But we're supposed to believe that "both sides do it" and there's a left-right equivalence because..... some teenager photoshopped a picture of Steve Bannon.

OP: What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you insane?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM
A..this thread isn't going the way you thought it would, huh aldiboronti?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:

Fake news: When "news" is released by supposedly reputable persons or organizations that the person or organization releasing it has no reason to believe is true(or is itself s making up this "news"), but releases it as factual anyway.

But you know this already since this isn't the first time this topic has been discussed, so what the flying fuck is your problem, jackass?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:44 PM
I was struck with the hilarity of two front page photoshopped photos of Hillary Clinton in the National Enquirer. In a September issue they claimed Hillary had ballooned to 289 pounds (she was actually around 135) and a couple of weeks later had her on death's door looking like a zombie.

This photo of Bannon is not photoshopped. It was taken by Jeremy Liebman, and accompanied a Bloomberg article. Story

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...kuQGTCMDw.jpeg

Bannon is a schlub. He is also, effectively, the president.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
I was struck with the hilarity of two front page photoshopped photos of Hillary Clinton in the National Enquirer. In a September issue they claimed Hillary had ballooned to 289 pounds (she was actually around 135) and a couple of weeks later had her on death's door looking like a zombie.

This photo of Bannon is not photoshopped. It was taken by Jeremy Liebman, and accompanied a Bloomberg article. Story

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...kuQGTCMDw.jpeg

Bannon is a schlub. He is also, effectively, the president.
Actually the fake was referring to the altered face only picture of Bannon early in the article. Still, the whole article looks more like pointing at a "Streisand effect" it makes everyone notice the real picture that is not flattering at all. He does look like an axe murderer.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Actually the fake was referring to the altered face only picture of Bannon early in the article. Still, the whole article looks more like pointing at a "Streisand effect" it makes everyone notice the real picture that is not flattering at all. He does look like an axe murderer.
At least he shaved. He no longer looks like a homeless axe murderer.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I remember how a professional creator of fake news pointed out that the fake news bits were consumed by the left and the right, but there was a big difference.

There were less bites coming from the left side because many times that side countered or checked more often if a bit of news was true.
"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

Acts 17:11, KJV

Other translations refer to them as the Bereans. I've been quoting this to people on the right who call themselves "Christians" for more than a year now, asking them to verify if things are true before posting them on Facebook, message boards or emails.

Sadly, the only response I've ever gotten is profanity and anger. They've lost sight of the truth and are no longer interested in it, because they are no longer Christians in belief, but only in name.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 PM
And here I thought we'd be talking about AddictingInfo or some shit like that. You do realize, that there is such a thing as actual left-wing fake news, right aldi? You don't have to reach to chain emails or facebook memes to find it! It's quite prevalent! Not nearly as prevalent or influential as right-wing fake news, but it's not hard to find a handful of sites on the left that have little to no interest in the truth.

This is just pathetic. What the fuck were you thinking?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Not coming back to defend your thread, aldiboronti? No?

Have you always been a gutless pussy coward?

That's okay, though...all of the other Trumplings are gutless pussy cowards, too.

Last edited by Mind's Eye, Watering; 02-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 PM
After eight years of birth certificates, and "you didn't build that", and death panels, and stand-down orders, and "what difference does it make", and child sex trafficking from the basement of a pizza place, now the OP thinks we need to put an end to fake news?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

Special snowflake needs a trigger warning before Internetting.