Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
So...Arby's new "Traditional Greek Gyro" is actually good!

They've had "gyros" before. but they were just turkey or roast beef sandwiches on pita with a slightly cucumber-y ranch.

These new ones appear to be actual carved from a gyro loaf spit (probably not at the indivudual restaurants, though), grease and all, and actually taste like a gyro. They're not going to replace your local Mediterranean or Greek restaurant's gyros, but for folks like me that don't have an authentic place nearby, they're a nice approximation.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Awesome, thanks for the head's up!

I have no Mediterranean cuisine anywhere near here, so approximations are the best I can do.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Awesome, thanks for the head's up!

I have no Mediterranean cuisine anywhere near here, so approximations are the best I can do.
You can buy the gyro cones, loaves or slices online, though I get them from a local [to Henrietta NY ] Halal market. I don't know how much you want, but when I do an online bulk buy I tend to get it in like 20 pound boxes, but as I have a large chest freezer, and all of us love it and will go through it in a couple months [unless we have a party] but you might consider 'clubbing' together with someone else [or a couple someones] and splitting the purchase between you all. Alton Brown has a recipe if you want to try making it yourself, never done it with this recipe but it looks pretty close.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
You can buy the gyro cones, loaves or slices online, though I get them from a local [to Henrietta NY ] Halal market. I don't know how much you want, but when I do an online bulk buy I tend to get it in like 20 pound boxes, but as I have a large chest freezer, and all of us love it and will go through it in a couple months [unless we have a party] but you might consider 'clubbing' together with someone else [or a couple someones] and splitting the purchase between you all. Alton Brown has a recipe if you want to try making it yourself, never done it with this recipe but it looks pretty close.
We usually do the make-it-at-home version. In fact, I think we actually use the recipe you linked! I never thought about picking up the meat online; I may have to explore that. Looking at some prices, it is better than what we pay for ground beef around here!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM
I might have to try that. I really like their roast beef gyros.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I don't eat at Arby's very often but I hear their commercials non-stop (whatever I listen to on the radio must be their exact target market). And I just love them, they are hilarious!

For some reason this makes me want to root for Arby's to succeed. So I am happy to hear that their food is good.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM
And... they are from northeast Ohio to boot! First one in Boardman, the next two in Akron, and number 4, right around the corner from me in North Olmsted. Tiny little place about 20 feet wide.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Funny thing about Arby's, my sister used to take photographs of human brain/organ slices for OSU school of medicine. She had to work quick or else the samples would start to cook under the hot lights. She says it smells like Arbys.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 03-22-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 PM
Both Walmart and Aldi sells 'Gyro Kits' (frozen foods) with flatbread, gyro meat slices, and cucumber sauce.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Funny thing about Arby's, my sister used to take photographs of human brain/organ slices for OSU school of medicine. She had to work quick or else the samples would start to cook under the hot lights. She says it smells like Arbys.
I suppose you'd expect that; it is meat, after all. But that post will be very useful six months from now, when someone revives this as a zombie thread.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Both Walmart and Aldi sells 'Gyro Kits' (frozen foods) with flatbread, gyro meat slices, and cucumber sauce.
Are they the flat rectangular slices that you can buy in grocery stores? Because those are terrible. (I'm also a big fan of Alton Brown, but his qyro recipe sucks, at least if you don't have a rotisserie. It tastes like greasy nothing.). A bunch of restaurants have taken to selling those tasteless rectangular hunks -- even supposedly Greek restaurants; it's a disturbing trend.

I don't know where Arby's cuts its meat from: it's "chunky" and a little crumbly like what you'd get cut off a rotisserie (although in much smaller pieces) and then grilled, but I doubt they installed a rotisserie just for a limited time special.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I don't eat at Arby's very often but I hear their commercials non-stop (whatever I listen to on the radio must be their exact target market). And I just love them, they are hilarious!

For some reason this makes me want to root for Arby's to succeed. So I am happy to hear that their food is good.

I freaking LOVE Arby's! But for some reason, they are disappearing one by one here in Texas. But if you go just one state up (Oklahoma) they're everywhere.

I don't get that.