Old 08-27-2001, 06:53 PM
I work at a university. Over the past couple years I’ve noticed that about half the women wear their purse such that the strap rests atop one shoulder (as normal) but the purse rests at the hip on the opposite side. The strap, therefore, crosses diagonally across the chest. Because the strap presses on the clothing between the breasts, the breasts are outlined very, uh… nicely. So is this a subtle “look at my breasts” trend? At any rate, I hope it doesn’t go away.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:56 PM
Maybe for some...

... but not in my case. My purse has a tendency to slip off my shoulder on a regular basis, and if I wear it across my body, I don't have to worry about hiking it up every 10 minutes.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:58 PM
I sometimes wear my purse strap that way, but I do it to either make the purse easier to carry (the strap sometimes slides off my shoulder if I only have it over one) or harder to steal. The fact that it makes my breasts more noticeable is just an unintended bonus.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:59 PM
No. Purse straps slide off shoulders at the slightest provocation, which is one of the many reasons I no longer carry one. The women you're eyeing up are just trying to make it across campus without constantly sliding the strap back up.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:00 PM
I've noticed this too. I asked my fiancée about it, who needs no help in the ol' chest area and she told me that mostly it's so the purse stays on and it's not easily snatchable for thugs. I say that it's because women want men to look. So I do....
Warning: The material presented in this thread may or may not be based in actual reality. These representations are made to the best of the posting party's knowledge and belief. Actual results may vary with reader's reality.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:01 PM
I do that for hands-free purse carrying...and the rest is gravy.

Quote:
Originally said by my ex-boyfriend's best friend.
Oh, to be that purse strap...
Old 08-27-2001, 07:02 PM
I've always worn my purses that way. Because, as has been stated, it's easier to carry and harder to steal. Hmmm... don't think I know of anyone who carries their purse any other way.

(Except, of course, strapless purses.)
Old 08-27-2001, 07:03 PM
Not only easier to carry, but "experts" (read: the media in general) recommend it to discourage purse snatchers.

I'm rather ample in the chest area, so I only wear mine that way if I really feel I have to, like in a heavily crowded area where I have to do a lot of walking.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:05 PM
I put my purse on my hip, strap on opposite shoulder, because then it swings less as I walk or move, and it's less likely to bump into things (say if I'm shopping in a crowded store). Also, if someone else touches it, since it's closer to my body, I'm much more aware of it.

<<I say that it's because women want men to look. So I do....>>

If I wanted you to look at my chest, I'd wear a V-necked shirt and a Wonderbra, walk toward you, and bend over to re-tie my shoes several times. (I'm sure your fiancée has some even more blatant ways to get your attention, though. )It's not the purse straps, honest.

Corr
Old 08-27-2001, 07:05 PM
But the strange thing is that it seems to be much more prevalent now than, say, 5 years ago. Or maybe I just never noticed it before.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:08 PM
women in big cities wear their purses across, so that it is harder to grab and run. safety thing. most will switch to a shoulder when they leave the street and get into a building they trust. most do not think about how it looks, they just want to get their purse intact to their destination.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:14 PM
I don't know about for women who've never nursed, but I'd wager that any woman who's ever nursed a baby wouldn't wear their purse strap that way cosmetically. They'd soom discover (as my wife did) that it's a good was to get a blocked milk duct...pretty painful thing which, if not caught soon, could become infected.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 08-27-2001, 07:28 PM
I have a purse/bag thing that I always carry on the opposite shoulder, and the bag hangs in back of me down by my butt. I just always considered this more convenient, never slips off, and I don't do it to accentuate my breasts. Even though I could use it, I don't do it for that purpose.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:26 PM
i wear it that way, because at 5 foot ALL straps are too long, and my shoulders are too narrow to keep 'em on right.

and only 15 year olds have back packs.
Old 08-27-2001, 09:19 PM
Woo-hoo! That means I'm 15 again! Goodbye, limiting job! Goodboye, monthly bills! I'm off to sponge off Mom and Dad for three years!