Old 10-04-2001, 11:12 PM
So, where did the classic phrase "Better living through chemistry" come from? It's usually used in a typically ironic way these days, but I guess it was serious(ly stupid even for an ad slogan) once. So, is it one of DuPont's old catchphrases, or what?
Old 10-04-2001, 11:37 PM
Mod Rocker
Yep, DuPont.

Technically, the slogan was:
Quote:
Better things for better living, through chemistry
Howstuffworks - How Ad Slogans Work
Old 10-05-2001, 12:01 AM
Yeah, imagine how little chemistry has done for you. Especially all that pesky stuff like the industrial revolution, modern medicine, and virtually every product you've ever even thought about touching. I hate those. Eye-ron-ee.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trucido
Yeah, imagine how little chemistry has done for you. Especially all that pesky stuff like the industrial revolution, modern medicine, and virtually every product you've ever even thought about touching. I hate those. Eye-ron-ee.
Hey, I don't use it ironically. That's just the only way I've ever seen it used.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:09 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
The earliest and most widely imitated--"Better Things for Better Living ... through Chemistry"--appeared in the fall of 1935 in DuPont's first institutional magazine advertisements and the broadcast debut of the Cavalcade of America. The slogan originated in BBDO's Madison Avenue offices, where DuPont account executive Maurice Collette and copywriter Les Pearl collated slogan suggestions solicited from agency staff. Collette put "better things for better living" at the top of a list of phrases sent to DuPont Company advertising director William A. Hart. Hart selected the first, adding the words "through chemistry."
From NYTimes article.

1935. One of the longer running taglines in corporate history.