Old 10-17-2001, 05:36 PM
Keanu's character was referred to as "The One" in the Matrix. And now we have a movie of the same title and Matrix-esque effects. Any relation?
Old 10-17-2001, 05:39 PM
Nope. In fact, Li turned down a part in The Matrix: Reloaded.

I hope it wasn't just so he could make The One, which looks pretty dumb, if cool. ('Course there are those that would say that about The Matrix as well....)
Old 10-17-2001, 06:46 PM
The trailer makes it pretty clear they aren't connected. I'll go and see it, just for Jet Li, but the story looks stupid (kind of like Highlander, but instead of all the immortals you get dozens of McClouds -- which, for the record, is bad if that is dozens of Christopher Lamberts but good if that is dozens of Adrian Pauls).

I'm not too confident that the fight scenes are going to work though. It appears that a lot of it (and almost certainly the climatic fight) will be Jet vs. Jet. That's probably too much CGI to make it work real well.

I saw the trailer last Friday and couldn't help but shout out "Oh no! Keanu is in it!" when they finally said the title.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:58 PM
Presumably, the producers and distributors were hoping for just this confusion when they named the film THE ONE. Technically, they're not saying it's a sequel to THE MATRIX, but they're obviously hoping audiences will see some kind of similarity and pony up their dough for tickets on that basis.

steve biodrowski
http://thescriptanalyst.com
Old 10-17-2001, 08:09 PM
There is tons of movies where the main character is refered to as "the one" or "the chosen one". On this instance they are obviously trying to cash in the Matrix connection though.