Old 11-03-2001, 10:13 PM
I just saw cazzle's post in this thread where she said "Hoov's a big old sook." My husband and I spent three years in Newfoundland and heard the word quite frequently, but I've never heard it in the US. I also listen to CBC radio (Canadian) a lot and I can't remember ever hearing it there. I see that cazzle is in Australia. How widespread is this term?
Old 11-03-2001, 10:18 PM
A soke is an Olde English government administrator.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:46 AM
Sooks will get you banned here, guys.
Old 11-04-2001, 02:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
According to the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary

sook meaning "a stupid person" is used mostly in Scotland, Australia and New Zealand.

The related suck, meaning the same thing, is Canadian slang.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:59 AM
Sook means stupid person? In my 17 years in Australia, every single use of it has implied that the "sook" was a "crybaby" or "complainer".
Old 11-04-2001, 05:34 AM
Re: According to the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary

Quote:
Originally posted by bibliophage
sook meaning "a stupid person" is used mostly in Scotland, Australia and New Zealand.
Not in Australia. Here in Sydney, sook has always had the meaning "crybaby".
_____

"I don't feel like going to work. It's raining, and I have to walk to the station, and...."

"Don't be such a big sook!"
_____

By the way, US dopers, "sook" rhymes with book, not spook.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:49 AM
That big book o' words is wrong over here in NZ, too. I agree with the "crybaby" definition, but it also lends itself to "over-sensitive, over-emotional" in the teary way.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:45 AM

Quote:
sook meaning "a stupid person" ...
We Aussies prefer to use the term Kiwi for that.

**runs like hell before Ice Wolf wanders back in here**
Old 11-04-2001, 10:25 AM
That's how they use it in Newfoundland--a crybaby, or somebody who always needs comforting. I've also heard kid's blankies refered to as "sooky blankies".

There was an LDS missionary there from Holland named Elder Vanderhoek (I think) who was often called Elder Vandersook.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:38 AM

Quote:

In my experience "sook" or "souk" means a swot (geek, nerd...) in Scotland.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Stupid crybaby administrative geeks!

"Sook" is a verb:
Determined to find the word's meaning, he sook the definition in every available dictionary.

Sook and ye shall have found.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:56 AM
sook/sookey/sookie/sooky n. [1930s+] [Aus./N.Z] a coward, a crybaby. [dial. suck, a stupid fellow].

sooky adj. [1930s+] [Aus./N.Z] cowardly, weak, sentimental.