PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a band similar to "No Doubt"?

Algernon
12-03-2001, 09:49 AM
I'm filling out my Christmas list for Santa, and I need help from the Teeming Millions.

I'm a boomer with a wide range of musical taste. I loved No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom so I went and got a couple of their earlier CD's, and liked them too. Disappointed with Return to Saturn (while Gwen Stefani has a great voice, I miss the brass accompaniment that was on most of their prior work). Looking forward to their new CD coming out in a week or so.

My question is this... what other group is similar to No Doubt that I might like?

grendel72
12-03-2001, 09:53 AM
Dance Hall Crashers sound very similar to No Doubt, a little less poppy maybe. The album Honey I'm Homely is their poppiest stuff, earlier records were more hard rock.

Ooner
12-03-2001, 10:41 AM
Save Ferris is another female-led ska/punk band, but a bit more poppy than No Doubt. Sort of a similar sound.

Heath Doolin
12-03-2001, 01:29 PM
Yea I would go with Save Ferris...they are a favorite of the So Cal crowd and I have caught them a few times. They have really matured into a tight sound as of late and could break the mainstream soon.

If you like their sound (which I agree is a bit more poppier) I would also suggest The Aquabats. These guys go way over the top of poppy and hilarious lyrics but they are a fun band to listen too and got some good brass in it (along with some goofy costumes)

elfkin477
12-03-2001, 04:04 PM
Bif Naked. When I heard their first single, "Moment of weakness" I thought it was No Doubt doing something for a soundtrack. They're pretty good, though, especially their song "Lucky," which is on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack. If that song doesn't get you right here <points to heart> nothing will.

Though I like Save Ferris too, I wouldn't say they sound all that similar to No Doubt- they sound as different from No Doubt as another ska group with a female lead can. Though it's bizare, I'd say they bring more to mind... Raspiutina. I have no idea why I make that association, though.

B. Serum
12-03-2001, 08:15 PM
A quote from a friend in 1995: "No Doubt is just the Bow Wow Wow of the 90's."

Bow Wow Wow is not ska, but the overall edginess/catchiness quotient is very similar. I like both bands quite a bit. Bow Wow Wow's rendition of "I Want Candy" rules and "C30 C60 C90 Go" is newly relavent in light of the MP3/Napster issues of the past few years. Plus, Annabella Lwin is a total hottie (mohawk and all).

Algernon
12-04-2001, 08:28 AM
A humble and heartfelt thanks to all of you who replied... perhaps because of you Santa will put something I like in my stocking. ~grin~

I must confess that I never heard of any of these bands you've suggested... I'm beginning to feel my age. (although, was it Groucho Marx who said "you're only as old as the women you feel?)

The only other band that anyone has ever mentioned to me was Reel Big Fish. I tried one of their CDs and came away lukewarm. Thanks again, I'll try a couple of these suggestions.

Nutty Bunny
12-05-2001, 08:08 AM
I like 311. They are harder-edged than No Doubt and still have that Ska flavor.

BTW, the new No Doubt song sucks ass! I was horrified when I first heard it and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. I had a feeling they would do something different when Gwen started working with Eve, but I had no idea it would be that mindless and poppy. Blech! IMHO anyway.

Why A Duck
12-05-2001, 08:28 AM
Two offbeat, older suggestions:

The Darling Buds - I own an old cassette of theirs (Crawdaddy) that I just love. I'm not sure what's available these days, but they were interesting.

Tribe - Abort (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=265178121/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=TRIBE/ITEMID=1259270) A great band from Rhode Island that should've hit it big. Liesten to that sample of "Joyride", phenomenal song.

Algernon
12-06-2001, 10:04 AM
Additional thanks to Nutty Bunny and Why A Duck for your suggestions. ...love your usernames BTW... there must be some thread where people explain the reasoning behind their names. I know this is a bit of a bump... but to justify myself I'll mention that I haven't heard the No Doubt new release yet, but Nutty Bunny's remarks are not encouraging.

Nocturne
12-06-2001, 01:27 PM
You might want to try Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake, even though they are male-led ska-ish bands.

Bedrosian Bixby
12-06-2001, 01:47 PM
Another vote for Save Ferris, I think you'll find they are alot better than No Doubt.

Lots of great suggestions so far. I'll also second Reel Big Fish and Dance Hall Crashers. Great bands!

Might I suggest Fishbone. The front men are dudes and they have a more eclectic sound (almost hip-hopish at times) but they are the grand old men of the ska scene. They've been around forever. Try finding a download for "Party at Ground Zero" or "Every Day Sunshine" to get a taste of what they are all about. They put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

even sven
12-06-2001, 03:10 PM
What is it that you like about No Doubt?

If it is the ska influences that you like, I recommend that you delve deeper in to the world of ska. Ska covers a lot of ground, and a lot of it is very very different that the ska-inspired stuff that you hear on the radio. There is a lot of good stuff out there, though. I reccomend The Checkered Cabs if you dig female vocals, Punch the Clown for poppiness and overall fun, Let's Go Bowling for dancibility and [Hepcat[/b] for good old fashioned rock-steady goodness.

Have fun. Ska is awesome.

Algernon
12-06-2001, 03:59 PM
I'm in awe of my fellow dopers... how do all of you find these groups?
Originally posted by even sven
What is it that you like about No Doubt? If it is the ska influences that you like, I recommend that you delve deeper in to the world of ska. ::embarrassed shuffling of feet::
Ummmm... I'm not even sure what ska is. I think I can tell you what I like about No Doubt though... upbeat tempo, catchy melodies, and horns, horns, horns (alas, virtually none in their Return To Saturn album).

foxfiregrrl
12-06-2001, 09:23 PM
They aren't so big with the horns, but Letters for Cleo has the fast upbeat melodies and female vocalist. Also, big second with the Bif Naked, if only because they sound -so much- like No Doubt that I can't see how you couldn't enjoy them just a little bit.

Good luck with the music searching!

Best Topics: epinephrine storage invisible chair prank cardinal grammeters apartment ceiling fans bicycle fucking rura penthe digital tv modulator mac jokes wow lockbox peta throwing blood smartest race assholes and elbows soda saver caps mensa wonderlic neutralize ammonia walmart receipt checker ride source sulphur candles shoujo meaning daggerfall nudity removing pencil marks pronounce sinai geometric growth curve sloth claws dangerous shutter fasteners favorite decade beechnut tobacco pooping banana raccoon intelligence cant stop talking strip mtg carnival geeks piano tuners prices tax return occupation bathroom light switch stink behind ears what are wife beaters called united states power squadron uniforms what is the fastest thing in the universe repair broken cassette tape isaoa atima what does this mean toilet does not flush well how to poop with hemorrhoids full metal jacket john wayne refund amazon instant video drivers ed car two steering wheels roger that ghost rider poured concrete vs pavers 8/7 central means socks make my legs itch why does my nose clear when i stand up you kill em we grill em is braille hard to learn this item is not for sale in catalina island vaseline hair tonic discontinued i hate folk music what does a bar mean senior cat needs to gain weight 1 million hours to years whose line is it anyway board game cereal is a soup upper left chest pain after eating female version of mensch menards pressure treated lumber say moose and squirrel multiple stamps on letter