View Full Version : Any idea where I can find some rubber tape?

03-19-2002, 10:25 PM
By tomorrow?

I'm making devil sticks this Thurs. (it has to be this Thurs. and no later for a few reasons) and I used to make them all the time (like 8 or 9 years ago).

I could be mistaken, but I'm almost positive that when I used to make them I got the rubber tape at Home Depot, yet when I went to 2 different Home Depots today, no one had even heard of it, let alone sold it. I checked a couple of different places too, including Staples ("Yeah, we've got that" my ass), Geneves (sp?), and CVS.

But aside from Home Depot, I can't even think what kind of store might have it. I'm not sure what it's generally used for, though I'm pretty sure it's used for electrical stuff (which reminds me, I also was in Radio Shack today).

Any ideas what kind of store I might find it in?

03-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Are you referring to regular elecrical tape?

03-19-2002, 10:38 PM
I assume this has to be real rubber, not a synthetic? Check in a electrical supply house. Tell them it has to be rubber. Rubber tape is still used in splicing. Isn't it? I haven't done any of that for quite a few years.
You ain't gonna throw any bad juju at me, are you? :D

03-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Reeder no. Not electrical tape. The rubber tape I speak of is thicker, sort of resembling the thickness and texture of the gripsi that you use on the handle of a tennis racquet, but it's elastic.

Mangeorge, I'm not sure if it has to be real rubber, as long as it can serve the same function (though I'm guessing synthetic probably wouldn't work well). I want to wrap it tightly around a wooden dowel (3 actually), to increase friction and very slightly cushion it against the kind of contact that devil sticking involves.

BTW, for those unfamilar with devil sticking, here (http://aigeek.com/devil-stick/tricks/mess/200101260083.gif) is a picture (I think there's supposed to be motion, but you'd never know with my 56k connection)

03-20-2002, 05:29 AM
You're correct Moe, it is electrical tape, used in waterproof locations. Home Depot should have it, as should most any hardware store. Ask for the "blue" tape.

Rue DeDay
03-20-2002, 07:30 AM
I got my rubber tape at Lowe's. They had it in the plumbling section, so you might find some in a plumbing supply store if you don't have a Lowe's handy.

Sporting goods stores or "skate shops" might have a tape that would work. (For wrapping tennis raquets and (street) hockey sticks.)


03-20-2002, 08:58 AM
I think what you are looking for is "self amalgamating" tape - butlylene perhaps? I have seen it at Home Depot recently. It's expensive - maybe 7$ 0r $8 a roll.

There is also an electrical version that is not as strechy and tears easily.

If your home depot doesn't have it you might try an RV center or a auto parts supply store.

Hello Again
03-20-2002, 11:18 AM
You can buy adhesive latex tape at a tack or horse-supply store (farm & fleet, Tractor Supply, or look in your phone book under "saddlery.")

03-20-2002, 08:39 PM
I am so wishing I was in the pit right now with this thread. I've been to well over 10 different stores in the last 2 days (during a heavy downpour in a car with a leaking roof) including 2 home depots, 4 radio shacks, Circuit city, Michael's Crafts, K-mart, Target, a few major sporting goods stores, etc. and even walked around the mall looking for a store that might have it.

What the [email protected]#$ is going on??!!

I know I used to buy this at Home Depot, I am positive of it.

OK, I need it by 1pm tomorrow and I have yet to check into some of the suggestions in this thread (plumbing supplies, saddlery), so that's my plan for tomorrow morning.
PLease, if anyone else has any great suggestions but figured you'd wait till later to post, it's later. :mad: :)

03-20-2002, 08:53 PM
We use a lot of what I think you want in the building of commercial aircraft. It is made by Scotch, we call it Scotch 70 or Scotch 80. The 70 is a gray self sealing tape, it has no adhesive, remove a clear backer, wrap and stretch it around whatever you are taping. A few hours later, it becomes a solid rubber seal. The type 80 is similar to the gray except it is red and used in high temperature applications. I have found both in the electrical departments of hardware stores.

03-20-2002, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain...really I do!

I could over night you most of a roll if you really are desperate. It is hard to belive, though that I can purchase it here in the sticks of Idaho and you can't find it in your area. As much as I like Home Depot, go to a small, medium sized hardware store and ask for a roll of butyl rubber tape. It really shouldn't be that hard to find.

03-20-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bare
You're correct Moe, it is electrical tape, used in waterproof locations. Home Depot should have it, as should most any hardware store. Ask for the "blue" tape.

No it's not electrical tape! It's not the blue electrical tape. It's for stopping no pressure water leaks. It's rubber tape, just like she asked for. It's thick, like 1/32" thick. I know exactly what you're talking about because I bought some just a week or two ago. I got mine at the Super Wal-Mart here in Roswell GA. in the plumbing section near the waterproof epoxy, etc.

I had looked at Home Depot too, and they didn't have it. I never thought I'd find it at Wal-Mart.

Good Luck


03-21-2002, 04:46 PM
well I searched... and I searched...and.........I searched - to no avail.

I called a few hardware stores this morning and they didn't even know what it was. It would seem that rubber tape has ceased to exist in my location.

In desperation I used tennis racquet grip tape stuff which seems to be working to a satisfactory degree, (except that my girlfriend's B-Day devil sticks now have "Wilson" written all over them, which I will of course cover up).

bare thanks for the offer anyway!

and yes Enright3 you are correct (except that I'm male;) )

Thanks everyone for trying.

Billy Rubin
03-21-2002, 06:50 PM
You need Scotch 23 tape. It works to insulate but it deteriorates, so that it needs to be overwrapped by Scotch Friction Tape when used for electrical connections.

You can ask for Scotch 23 rubber tape at any good electrical supply house. it's thin rubber with a thinner vinyl strip separating the rubber from the adjacent layers, and the thin vinyl strip gets thrown away.

Great for grips on things, though.


Best Topics: rgp plunger hotslog butcher horse mph growing cocaine plant touchy feely person chandlers middle name pie tape rgp plunger expedia commercial guy tips for deepthroating svedka vs smirnoff sleep better store france 911 all clear signal alisa pronunciation monkey humping football gossamer cartoon lettuce opium baby midget dents in thighs unsulfured molasses walmart pigion poison pidgeon poison glass blowers lung tamale press paper wrinkled solid gold bricks snorting msg code symbol unarguably or inarguably forrest tucker endowed president logan 24 wayne newton gay scylla porn morks egg sheerflow gutter filter reviews ryan mone west tisbury ma only one hdmi port on tv 1800 got junk mattress price coincidence i don't think so how does it feel to be penetrated why do you get hot and cold when sick manly drinks that taste good shower won't turn off how to bail yourself out of jail my eardrum is pulsating what is pitching woo cough medicine without guaifenesin water makes me thirsty directv genie usb port do you tip the safelite guy when does usaa pay dividends tv won't turn off promethazine dm syrup yellow get high charlotte mckinney no makeup how to air out a room iron pills make me sick why does arm hair stop growing do bonsai trees grow fruit does smoking marijuana seeds make you sterile liberty mutual commercial blah blah actress can vicodin make you high loose dog in my neighborhood coax video to rca converter too late with adam carolla turning brake rotors napa what happened to edward hibbert face k&n air filters worth it lead fuel additive for classic cars