PDA

View Full Version : Day after a BBQ. Which beverages can I take out of the cooler?

Pencil Pusher
07-07-2002, 01:50 PM
When I was in college, people told me that you if you buy beer from the refrigerated section of the grocery store, you need to keep it cold or else it will get "skunked."

Well, its now the day after a BBQ and I have:
- several brands of beer
- Mike's hard lemonade
- Softdrinks (both diet and regular) and
- bottled water

There is no way it is all fitting in my refrigerator (I also have excess food). What can I put into my cupboard and what needs to find its way into the refrigerator? For extra credit, how can a sealed bottle go bad by changing its temperature? Now that I think about the whole thing, it sorta seems like an urban legend.

Thanks.

Number
07-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Skunking is caused by light, not heat. Ultraviolet breaks down the hop oils in beer to form unpleasant-tasting compounds. Most beverages will last longer if stored cold, but you should be fine keeping them in the cupboard for a while.

postcards
07-07-2002, 02:35 PM
You can, however, feel free to pout the Mike's Hard Lemonade down the drain.

postcards
07-07-2002, 02:36 PM
I mean pour.

Gary T
07-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Light may be a greater factor than heat, but my understanding is that beer will suffer from heat as well. I've never heard of water or soft drinks being affected, I don't know about the hard lemonade.

kanicbird
07-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Even if beer is effected by heat it should be no worse off then having it warm all that time (never being in the cooler).

Ringo
07-07-2002, 10:07 PM
I've heard the same as you, but I don't really know. Supposedly, Coors beer was not pasteurized and had to be kept refrigerated, thus limiting its distribution in olden times.

My experience has been that if you re-chill any beer, somebody will be willing to drink it.

Qwisp
07-08-2002, 12:06 AM
It will all be fine. Trust me I know these things. The soda, Mikes lemonade and the water will have no noticiable taste difference. The beer should be fine if you only refrigerate it one more time, and don't let it get warm a second time. I would refrigerate it a soon as you have the room for it though.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: nerf airplane can chili cum laude pronunciation 86d origin can teller speak miss thing unopposed wisdom tooth barton vodka review walgreens detox thc teens girls sucking move to strike jacob's ladder electrical acid storage containers outlander message board average length of a short sword comet it tastes like listerine mythbusters fall into water doctor wants to see me after blood test results cat eats with paws vending machine rental cost how to keep a mirror from fogging up in the shower attaching washing machine drain hose to sink what is the ph of rubbing alcohol how many animals died in milo and otis medrol dose pack weight gain