PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is a rara?

Mr. Blue Sky
07-11-2002, 10:56 PM
So, I'm Googling the lyrics to the classic one-hit wonder, "Judy in Disguise (with glasses)" by John Fred and His Playboy Band. I checked a couple of sites and got the same line:

"Keep a-wearin' your bracelets
and your new rara"

What the heck is a rara?

Tsubaki
07-11-2002, 11:22 PM
In my corner of the world, a rara is a skirt which has about three or four layers of ruffles on it. From memory they were pretty popular in the mid-80's.

I had a hot pink one.

jayjay
07-11-2002, 11:29 PM
But Judy in Disguise is a 60's song.

Maybe ra(h)ra(h)s are pompoms, like cheerleaders use?

Tsubaki
07-12-2002, 05:47 AM
Rara skirts could have been popular in the 60's and had a revival in the 80's.

But I don't know, being born in the 70's and all.

Walloon
07-12-2002, 06:40 AM
Hmm, it sounds like "tiara" to me, not "new rara". A tiara is a type of jewelry, and so fits with the bracelets in the previous line. Could one site have gotten the lyrics wrong, and the others have been copying?

RealityChuck
07-12-2002, 09:14 AM
I don't know what a "rara" is, but it's a long way to tip one.

Mr. Blue Sky
07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
I am suspect of the lyrics correctness. I swear I hear a "k" sound in that line.

Also, there's this line:

"Chimney sweep sparrow with guise"

Granted the song is a parody of the psychadelic songs of the times, but the "with guise" bit doesn't make any sense.

tetsusaru
07-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Rara avis: a rare bird.

Labdad
07-12-2002, 12:15 PM
jayjay is close. In the 60's, "rah-rahs" were a name for the black and white saddle shoes most cheerleaders wore at the time.

Khadaji
07-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by RealityChuck
I don't know what a "rara" is, but it's a long way to tip one.

LOL. Nicely done - you beat me to it!

Walloon
07-13-2002, 12:08 AM
. . . I might add that by the time I was a senior in high school, saddle oxfords became the 'in' shoes to have. They were now fashionably called 'rah-rahs', and anyone who wanted to be popular simply had to have a pair.

http://geocities.com/lafempatti45/AChristmasRemembered.html

Fred
07-13-2002, 01:06 AM
I always thought that a "Rara" should be worn with a "Sis-boom-bah" in a cheerleading ensemble, if that helps any.

Best Topics: crib height extenders michael jeter gay skillet lickers racist pop ganglion cyst cheryl ellis jtv alum alumni goldilocks purple pronounce voir dire sandwich slogan fast talking disclaimer job type prn religion skirts modern flamethrower dubois sea snake shin dent pronounce niger mythbusters helium balloons am pm name cvr ltr liquorice jelly beans i hate drunks alliterative names famous loren halifax bio japan engine law neosporin inside nose pitchers numbers translate men cashier interview attire dvd rw disc cat hallucinations who killed rita white harlem globetrotters stand up blowjob surname prefixes dope movies to watch drool stains on pillowcase e flat power chord how do you pronounce pianist seal leaky pvc joint can you smoke pipe tobacco like a cigarette 2004 pt cruiser mpg why do football players wear fanny packs ace is the place with the helpful hardware can you get poison ivy from your dog microsoft word registered trademark symbol do i need to resurface my rotors make cat gain weight how to remove ferrule from copper pipe ceramic heater vs fan heater how did scotland yard get its name how do flies give birth what numbers are usually called for jury duty best food to take with medication what is an mdi adjustment for wells fargo what does baba booey mean why do we shake our legs far side cow agent my clutch pedal stays down name a country that no longer exists numb soles of feet leaving early from work email does plastic window insulation work songs about meeting again colder than a witch's teat in a brass bra origin bachelor parties without strippers how to seal leaky pvc joint i decline to answer best view of lake tahoe schick silk effects discontinued d&d lead how to locate electrical wiring in walls