PDA

View Full Version : Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket....

Jackknifed Juggernaut
08-07-2002, 12:59 PM
...or are you just happy to see me?

Humor like the above statement is pretty common in every day conversation. But when you think about it literally, the statement is quite explicit. But somehow, it seems that no one really gets offended by it.

Are there other examples of off-color humor that have made their way into everyday conversation, to the point where they are not even considered offensive by most people?

Peanuthead
08-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Take my wife. Please!

Peanuthead
08-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Take my ex-wife. Pretty please?

lieu
08-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Is it cold in here?

WordMan
08-07-2002, 01:46 PM
I don't know if it is humor, per se, but the expression "I shot my wad on yada yada..." sure wasn't referring to money initially, yet it is used frequently in everyday conversation...

WordMan
08-07-2002, 02:46 PM
I don't know if it is humor, per se, but the expression "I shot my wad on yada yada..." sure wasn't referring to money initially, yet it is used frequently in everyday conversation...

Jackknifed Juggernaut
08-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by WordMan
I don't know if it is humor, per se, but the expression...

You're right. What I'm looking for doesn't have to be humorous. I guess just any off-color remark that's commonly used works for this thread.

lieu
08-07-2002, 02:49 PM
"Wow, you really got screwed on that one."

Patty O'Furniture
08-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by WordMan:

You must be just out of puberty to be able to do that twice in the same minute!

I hear "SNAFU" quite often. To make the phrase palatable, we like to pretend that F stands for "fouled".

CalMeacham
08-07-2002, 03:33 PM
"That really sucks!"

My mother refused to use that phrase, but now does. You can rationalize it all you like, but it has a pretty racy origin. And unnecessarily demeaning.

wolfman
08-07-2002, 05:41 PM
"That really sucks!"

I always figured it was originally a short form of 'that sucks canal water'.

UncleBill
08-07-2002, 08:37 PM
"That bites" is much less comfortable than "that sucks". Trust me on this.

Pelekhaty
08-08-2002, 09:31 AM
"Wow. You really got screwed with your pants on, didn't you?"

eunoia
08-08-2002, 11:08 AM
"We're getting down to the short strokes here..."

I've heard it on TV and in the boardroom. It doesn't strike me as having any appropriate connotations. Damn funny though.

ftg
08-08-2002, 12:51 PM
One of those idiot Carrottop commericals has "How's it hanging?"

A few commercials make quite explicit reference to erections and such now. Used to be commercials were the most conservative parts of TV. They had the most interest in not offending people. Must be considered everyday non-offensive usage now.

DMark
08-08-2002, 01:15 PM
"That place is the pits."

"Pits" originally came from an expression junkies used when things got so bad they had to shoot up in the armpits.

And if you don't believe me, stick it "where the sun don't shine".

Cervaise
08-08-2002, 03:00 PM
"We've got them by the short hairs."

"SOL" has been sanitized to "sadly outta luck" (or some other variant) when it actually means "shit outta luck."

Finagle
08-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by WordMan

Well, what's so off-color about cannons/black powder rifles?

Although I wasn't able to quickly find a reference to it on-line, the wad is the piece of material used to keep the powder/bullet from falling out of the gun. Given that guns of that period were single shooters, to shoot your wad would mean that the gun was now useless until you reloaded.

Guys being guys, the derivation that you're referring to probably followed almost immediately, but I'm pretty sure the gun sense came first. That being said, you have plausible deniability if you use that expression.

NardoPolo
08-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Given that guns of that period were single shooters, to shoot your wad would mean that the gun was now useless until you reloaded. Are you saying that after you've shot your wad then you'd be shooting blanks?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: red jalepeno john dye gay roman praenomen kona guitar reviews thrift store smell tubal ligation experiences gattling guns waxed testicles russian weapons ww2 brita dishwasher the secret world of mormonism choose a job you love and you will never how to have an intimidating stare let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together can you return an opened item to amazon along comes mary lyrics meaning medical term for ass cedar decking home depot what does stevia taste like 21 years old guy period after et al smack my ass and call me sally can i move my mailbox to the other side of my driveway