PDA

View Full Version : Can you really get high on morning glory seeds/ nutmeg?

Diogenes the Cynic
11-11-2002, 12:23 AM
When I was younger I used to hear from my pot head friends that you could "trip" on morning glory seeds, as well as nutmeg. I also read this in The Anarchist's Cookbook. These same idiot friends also used to talk about smoking banana peels, but this canard hs been thoroughly disposed of by Uncle Cecil.

So my question is this: does anybody know about the morning glory seeds/ nutmeg stuff? Can they really get you high? If so how many seeds do you have to eat? How do you consume the nutmeg? I ask purely out of curiosity, my drug days are well behind me.

Joey P
11-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Yes you can trip on morning glory seeds. I won't go into details as to how to extract the LSA out of the seeds because that will just speed up the time it takes to close this thead. But if you do it right and make it stong, the best way I can explain the trip is like this: Think about a normal acid trip... After you ingest the LSA it gives you a pretty bad stomach ache which goes away shortly, the trip is like going into a normal acid trip just after the peak. That is, you feel like your coming down from an acid trip. The visuals are there but are not as strong, and you go into the whole thinking/reflection stage about an hour into the trip (as opposed to several hours). All in all it's not a bad expierence, it's like an acid trip for beginners.

Eidolon909
11-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Yes you can get high off Nutmeg. But the dosage is extremely high and nutmeg can be toxic.

Most "recipes" call for ingesting a HUGE amount of nutmeg accompanied with orange juice. You get acid like visuals and in almost all instances become violently ill.

DarrenS
11-11-2002, 12:49 AM
This was discussed here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114029), here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68919) and here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46871&highlight=nutmeg).

DarrenS
11-11-2002, 12:51 AM
...and Cecil answered it here (https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a3_114b.html).

Diogenes the Cynic
11-11-2002, 01:16 AM
Thanks, Joey. Excellent description of the effect. No peak, huh, just that 5:00am, still kinda spacey, talking to your friends about UFO's feeling?

LSA is lysergic acid, I'm guessing? So Do you have to extract the LSA or can you just eat the seeds?

FyreFiend
11-11-2002, 02:50 AM
DO NOT just eat teh seeds! They can be toxic and I have no idea how much would get you high compaired to how much will get you sick.
If you are going to play with the idea of fun with plants just be careful! Some plants can fill you.

FyreFiend
11-11-2002, 02:51 AM
err, Some plants can Kill you

*do-do-do-do*
(Silly post time out)

Eleusis
11-11-2002, 04:37 AM
Morning Glory seeds contain various lysergic acid alkaloids which are psychoactive to varying degrees, most importantly LSA, or Lysergic Acid Amide. Threshold effects of LSA can be reached with as few as 25-50 seeds, though most recreational users find it necessary to ingest between 100 and 400 seeds to reach desired effects.

There is a soapy component of the seed pulp which can cause nausea, and some of the essential oils in the husks are irritants which can cause headache and blurred vision, so just eating the seeds is not a good idea, as FyreFiend pointed out.

Among the seeds, Heavenly Blues, Pearly Gates, and Flying Saucers are common in garden supply stores and all are known to be effective. In practice, little hassle is ever given to those who buy and ingest seeds, but extracting the active ingredients puts you in possession of a relatively pure chemical which is illegal to possess.

I have paraphrased from several sources which I can't link here because they deal directly with those extraction techniques.

Diogenes the Cynic
11-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Eleusis, that's just the information I was looking for. I googled some MGS sites. The extraction procedure sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I've always been curious about this. I always suspected it would give you more of a stomach ache than anything else. looks like I wasn't far off.

aahala
11-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Many years ago I did the nutmeg thing, once. Yes, there's a "trip" like reaction, but mine was like the next day. Had a friend that did the seed thing. . .

I don't know how to mention this delicately, but I strongly urge readers not to do the nutmeg thing. Nutmeg is a home remedy for diarrhea. I can vouch for the notion that amounts necessary for mental effect will produce another you will find undesirable.

Joey P
11-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Diogenes the Cynic
Thanks, Joey. Excellent description of the effect. No peak, huh, just that 5:00am, still kinda spacey, talking to your friends about UFO's feeling?

LSA is lysergic acid, I'm guessing? So Do you have to extract the LSA or can you just eat the seeds?

Don't eat the seeds, some actually are treated with something to make you sick.

Anyways, not just the 5:00 in the morning feeling, but more like... okay, lets say you dropped at 9:00 pm, 10pm trip starts, 11:30 start peaking, 12:30 - 1:00 in the morning is about where you come in. Decent visuals, for a while then into the thinking stage, But much less of the feeling of being on Jupiter living inside someone elses head. It's like a mini trip, (like I said before like a beginners trip, no hard core, am I ever coming back feelings). It's fun, especially if you like the chemistry that goes into making it first.

Diogenes the Cynic
11-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Gotcha Joey. I think I know exactly what you mean.

vibrotronica
11-11-2002, 04:04 PM
The bottom line is this: Does it work? Yes. Is it worth the hassle? No.

rodent
11-11-2002, 05:44 PM
I had some roommates a few years back that split a can of nutmeg. One diluted it with oatmeal, the other drank it stirred into hot water. Both claimed to be real high that night and throughout the next day. Both were experienced drug users expecting a fun time but were disappointed with the effects. Although they made it through the trip without incident they both said they would never do it again.

pkbites
11-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Jesus!:rolleyes:

I tried nutmeg in the mid-seventies. A guy would think that by now it would be common knowledge that trying to get high on nutmeg will get you so sick you'll think you're going to die, and afraid you won't! It's one of the most f*cked up illnesses I ever had. Truely miserable!

tythepothead111
12-27-2012, 01:34 AM
When I was younger I used to hear from my pot head friends that you could "trip" on morning glory seeds, as well as nutmeg. I also read this in The Anarchist's Cookbook. These same idiot friends also used to talk about smoking banana peels, but this canard hs been thoroughly disposed of by Uncle Cecil.

So my question is this: does anybody know about the morning glory seeds/ nutmeg stuff? Can they really get you high? If so how many seeds do you have to eat? How do you consume the nutmeg? I ask purely out of curiosity, my drug days are well behind me.
dude i ate 2 teaspoons washed it down with sprite iam a big guy and i weigh almost 230ish and i took it around 8:40pm and its 2:26am now and iam relly relly tripping i still have some motor functions but as of now everything looks like its moving so i diffidently whould not drive but science i took like 2.5 teaspoons full its like being really relly buzzed off of a good gram of reg so enjoy iam going to try to smoke some tomorrow and i will say all that it does ::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):cool::smack::o:(:p:cool::rolleyes::):mad::mad::mad::mad: :confused::eek::D

Fear Itself
12-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Clearly, this was before the board policy on discussing current drug use was formulated.

campp
12-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Was young and dumb once. Ate the seeds. I remember tripping pretty hard for about two days, including some hallucinations. My pupils were so dilated that I could not read anything. I would NEVER do this again, and do not recommend it. Reflecting on the above notes, I did not know about the toxicity at the time.

Dodged a bullet, I did.

EmilyG
12-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Ten years old.
Happy birthday, zombie thread.

campp
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Ten years old.
Happy birthday, zombie thread.

Argggh. Sorry.

C6541
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Many mystical experiences to had on morning glories, most had 1000 seeds at most. Nausea at start and heavy body-load similar to 2c-e and the nbomes

pulykamell
12-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Jesus!:rolleyes:

I tried nutmeg in the mid-seventies. A guy would think that by now it would be common knowledge that trying to get high on nutmeg will get you so sick you'll think you're going to die, and afraid you won't! It's one of the most f*cked up illnesses I ever had. Truely miserable!

I have a friend who tells a story (so take it with a grain of salt, though I have no reason to disbelieve him) that his girlfriend-at-the-time (now wife) made some dessert for him and completely misread the quantity of nutmeg called for and, being a dutiful boyfriend, he scarfed down the dessert. He said it was a miserable experience that involved a trip to the hospital: hot flashes, vomiting, elevated pulse, irritability and nervousness. Whatever it was, it did not sound like a fun trip.

C6541
12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Nutmeg is more deliriant than psychedelic, similar to atropine or dihenhydramine. Deliriants are not especially noted for being "fun."

chinchalinchin
12-27-2012, 05:01 PM
When I was in highschool, my friends and I were always looking for ways to get high, so we tried nutmeg once. I can definitively say: yes, it gets you high. The more pertinent question is: is it worth it? No. God no.

In fact, I don't know if I would call it getting 'high' as so much as food poisoning. It starts with an intense pressure building up behind your eye, then your eyes dry out and they start itching constantly, so your eyes become blood red. You get a light headed feeling and your thoughts start scattering, akin to smoking pot. There is one major distinction between marijuana and nutmeg, though; the high is INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. Plus, it lasts WAY too long. I remember it lasting approximately a day and after about an hour, you start hoping it'll go away soon. It's not fun at all. I highly recommend against it.

Baal Houtham
12-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Long ago my brother and I tried to Get High on nutmeg. It was extremely hard to get down in large quantity. We tried to disguise it in various liquids, but it became ever more obvious and repellent. My brother managed to swallow enough to get some psychedelic effects; I just took enough to feel miserable and physically polluted for the next three days.

I was never tempted to try it again, apart from sprinkling on eggnog.

astro
12-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Re nutmeg it's reputed to be about the worst high in the world, and make you feel like you eaten by a wolf and shit over a cliff afterwards. The best description was the floating delirium you feel when you're sick with flu. What's not to like?

janeslogin
12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
There are at least ten genera of ''morning glory''. Which seed do you use?

yabob
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
There are at least ten genera of ''morning glory''. Which seed do you use?
The rumor decades ago was that you wanted the "heavenly blue" variety. This is a variety of Ipomoea tricolor, and wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory) has this to say:
The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergoline alkaloids such as the psychedelic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of Ipomoea tricolor and Turbina corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as psychedelics. The seeds of morning glory can produce a similar effect to LSD when taken in large doses, often numbering into the hundreds. Though the chemical LSA is not legal in some countries, the seeds are found in many gardening stores; however, the seeds from commercial sources are often coated in some form of pesticide or methylmercury. [3] These coatings are especially dangerous if one has a history of liver disorders and may also cause neurological damage.
I believe the ones most gardeners would plant and recognize as "morning glories" are in the Ipomoea genus.

C6541
12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Ipomoea tricolor are the preferred although its been stipulated that ipomoea purpera have about half the alkaloid weight of tricolor (based on successful acid/base extracts and luminescence under ultraviolet or whatever), which would mean one would have to eat a lot.

Best Topics: asian coin 100 unlanded sons ck2 adult roller skating rush on xm brake hp acetaminophen toothache classic or trash owning a raven ted wassanasong sociopathic movies plc cu boulder uverse mcafee lightest cigarette rent sex toys getting carded gay experimenting ziploc microwave tight as a 800 junk cost amazon receipts listerine expiration date nk message board coconut season lack of reflex more underhanded dice singular imdb flightplan tie company names britt slabinski discount sewing pattern cloth ceilings wop definition crackling sound in throat ac energy saver mode life after dishonorable discharge real mouse hole in wall why is the west coast so liberal bank of america auto payment ice cream van music williams sonoma cookware review where does adam and eve ship from why did hitler like blonde hair and blue eyes where to recycle encyclopedias proper way to write phone number with area code is george costanza jewish iphone keeps connecting and disconnecting from computer two step snakes in vietnam what is deviant sexuality how long does it take to get a physical yahoo apple message board eye dilating drops side effects suspicious car parked in front of my house lost my license nj how to buy arsenic they call the wind l19 bird dog for sale how to get a frog out of your house how to use a backup camera does temperature count for sig figs in the united states the true probability of a baby being a boy is 0.512 +1 before phone number can i freeze my urine for a drug test paper towel clog toilet how to speak anglo saxon do employers pay for unemployment free plywood near me best like to dislike ratio on youtube