PDA

View Full Version : I need a good viking motto

caffeine_overdose
01-04-2003, 10:48 PM
My school mascot is the viking which I always found kind of amusing seeing as how vikings are not the nicest people in the history of the world. Now the robotics team that I am on is going to have legitimate shirts but we also want something that is funny. So we need a slogon to put on the shirts. So far we have only come up with.

Eastern Vikings: Raping and Pillaging since 1923

and

Eastern Vikings: Our Honor students can decapitate your honor students

any suggestions

Snooooopy
01-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Eastern Vikings: WE'VE never lost the Super Bowl.

Qadgop the Mercotan
01-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Eastern Vikings: We got a lot less fearsome after being Christianized.

racer72
01-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Viking kittens!!!!! (http://rathergood.com/vikings/) And you can even get your own Viking kitten T-shirts!!!! (http://cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=vikingkittens,vikingkittens2)

Valhalla, I am coming!!!

We are your overlords!!!

What more could you need?

Already in Use
01-05-2003, 03:02 AM
Eastern Vikings: No more bloodthirsty than the rest of medieval Europe, except European history was written mostly by Christians!

:D

Bryan Ekers
01-05-2003, 06:53 AM
"Get your heads reading for piking, 'cause here come the Vikings!"

Bryan Ekers
01-05-2003, 09:38 AM
oops, get your heads ready for piking

martin_ibn_martin
01-05-2003, 10:14 AM
"Pawnay Sepooya!"

I am told that this means something like, "Go sleep a lemming" in Finnish. Some SCA friends of mine were looking for a good viking battle cry. They asked the Finnish exchange student, and she said that they don't say anything really brutal or nasty in her language, but she gave them this.

Not sure if I am spelling or remembering this correctly. I welcome any Fnnush Doper input.

Martin

ftg
01-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Motto suggestion: "Vikings never wore horns on their elements. Do you think they were idiots? Ever fought with axes and swords with stuff sticking out of a helmet. Sheesh."

Or words to that effect.

Note that Vikings were "bad people" merely because they were non-Christian. Once Christianized, they merely became conquerors and settlers (which they were before). They weren't barbarians. They had the highest literary rate in N. Europe. One English "gentlemen" complained that all the local gals were being swept off their feet by the new Nordic settlers since they did horrible things like bathe and use combs.

"Hagar the Horrible" is one big ethnic slur.

TVeblen
01-05-2003, 03:20 PM
"Pillage and destruction are our other hobbies."

"Berserk is good."....or....
"Berserk works."

"We burn our dead in dragon ships. The crows get yours."

"Loki here."

"Henry Fjord learned from us."

Veb

Futile Gesture
01-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Vikings: Better, cos we can a fjord to be.

lokij
01-05-2003, 04:13 PM
A line or two from the Havamal would be appropriate perhaps.

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

or

It befits a man to be merry and glad
Until the day of his death,

or

The coward believes he will live forever
If he holds back in the battle,
But in old age he shall have no peace
Though spears have spared his limbs

Perhaps a bit long for a catchy motto, but historically accurate and very inspiring.

Kat
01-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Stealing from ftg's post, how about "Vikings: We had the highest literacy rate in Northern Europe"?

bibliophage
01-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Not very humorous, but I am reminded of Charles Kingsley's
"Ode to the Northeast Wind" (http://bartleby.com/42/656.html) Conquering from the eastward,
Lords by land and sea.
Come; and strong, within us
Stir the Vikings' blood

garius
01-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Hows My Pillaging? Call 555-3210

aahala
01-05-2003, 06:12 PM
The Horny Vikings - Fighting virginity since 1973, it's taking longer than we thought.

rocking chair
01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
uff da!

Duke
01-05-2003, 10:13 PM
My ex-wife, fluent in Old Norse and currently teaching it at Oxford, would have some good ones. The best one I can remember is "Troll eigi thina vini!" ("May the trolls get your friends!") Also strangely appropriate for the SDMB, I may add. Pronounced "TRUH-tla AYTH-ee THEE-na VEE-nee," if you should ask.

Some other words of viking wisdom:

"A rope must be pulled against a strong man."

"There are wolves about, yet they shall destroy each other."

"Thungu Knifr!" ("Heavy knife!" From a very bad Icelandic film.)

Goofus
01-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Oh boy, robotics! That's where I'm a Viking!

Ethilrist
01-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Blood for Odin!

astro
01-06-2003, 10:56 AM
We ain't pining for the fjords any more!

You want the saga? You can't handle the saga!

Our boats aren't the only thing that's long!

Munch
01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Nice, Goofus!

"Og smash!"

Barbarian
01-06-2003, 11:48 AM
My older brother inherited the farm. I get to wander the world and take your sheep.

That whole "deliver us from the fury of the norsemen, oh lord" didn't work for the Irish either.

We're blond, we're strong, and we're taking your women. Any questions?

lieu
01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Screw Nedit, We're the Vikings!

Belrix
01-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Rape, Kill, Pillage, Burn
The order is important.

Best Topics: tits definition wearing scrubs long stringy boogers lien reported pizza delivery blowjob sam kinison wiki sinjin smythe subcontractor taxes imploding person dented bone flexible mirror material j brake mymathlab sucks russ hamilton poker civilization 3 tips salami pepperoni safety football artisan vs craftsman oscar meyer braunschweiger chili canned 2020000000 milk and potatoes public record blueprints tenerife pronunciation natural beef flavor fastest laxative affordable cognac big swallows rent sex toys michael phelps teeth lewinsky cigar grenade slow motion jasmine tea with milk how to remove braces glue off teeth famous men with small hands do cherry blossoms produce fruit "harvard of the south" computer talking to me what does the air national guard do when did the last slave die tux and tennis shoes vince guaraldi linus and lucy sheet music pepe le pew cartoons urine drug test kits walgreens bakers & chefs cookware what does sacapuntas mean microwave with door handle how accurate are 99 cents pregnancy test cookie clicker best permanent upgrades 2016 how to pronounce r'lyeh toilet doesn't flush just fills with water drano for clogged toilets how to make hollow caltrops all are welcome poltergeist campho phenique on canker sores why is africa so far behind how long is brewed coffee good for dr. lyons tooth powder what to expect after deworming a cat do governors have security what happens if lidocaine is injected into a vein fucking in a library 7 for all mankind jeans review roland the headless thompson gunner lyrics meaning coca-cola light