PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland. Does America Have a Patron Saint?

HeyHomie
03-17-2003, 11:08 AM
We certainly have a sizeable Catholic population (I think maybe 40% of the Christian population of the USA is Catholic, IIRC). But I've never heard of a patron saint of the USA.

Do we have one?

slipster
03-17-2003, 11:25 AM
St. Mary, the mother of Jesus, is regarded as the patron saint of The United States. This is consistent with American history; the colony Lord Baltimore founded as a haven for Catholics, (and the only American colony to observe religious tolerance generally) was Maryland, which was named in her honor.

The national feast day is the Solemnity of Mary, which falls on January 1st.

syncrolecyne
03-17-2003, 11:43 AM
I thought the Virgin of Guadalupe was the Patron Saint of "America" (America meaning all the land from Alaska to Patagonia).

As for the United States, isn't Elizabeth Seton a patron saint of sorts as well? I think there is more than one.

BrainGlutton
03-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Isn't "the Virgin of Guadalupe" just another name for St. Mary?

Bricker
03-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Mary has appeared in various guises; each is considered a separate "saint" for the purposes of patronage.

The US's patron saint is Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception; the basilica in DC is a shrine to Mary in this incarnation.

Our Lady of Guadalupe is the Patroness of the Americas, and most especially of Mexico.

Elizabeth Ann Seton was the first American-born saint, but not the patroness of the United States. Her patronage includes death of children, widows, in-law problems, loss of parents, and people ridiculed for their piety, and the diocese of Shreveport, Louisiana.

- Rick

MSU 1978
03-17-2003, 12:58 PM
I thought it was Saint Reagan, patron saint of deficits.

Sofa King
03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
And I thought it was Sylvia Saint.

Trinopus
03-17-2003, 03:28 PM
If and when Junipero Serra gets his full canonization (or has he already?) what would be his patronage? The two Californias? Just U.S. California?

Also, my silly nomination: Hugh Hefner!

Trinopus

Colibri
03-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by slipster
This is consistent with American history; the colony Lord Baltimore founded as a haven for Catholics, (and the only American colony to observe religious tolerance generally) was Maryland, which was named in her honor.

Technically, Maryland was named for Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of King Charles I. However, the original Catholic colonists may have really wished to honor the Virgin Mary, and so used this politically acceptable expedient.

BrainGlutton
03-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Considering the current state of American Catholicism, it would be most appropriate to replace Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception with St. Eugenius Erastes, the Patron Saint of Pederasty. Suffer the little children to some unto me, and all that . . .

By the way, why is this sexual-abuse business an AMERICAN problem? There are Catholic churches and Catholic priests all over the world, and all the priests live under the same unrealistic vow of celibacy. Why is it that only the American priesthood has given rise to all these sex scandals? At least, that's the impression I get from news reports over the past couple of years. Maybe it goes on in other countries but people there are less willing to talk about it?

astorian
03-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BrainGlutton

By the way, why is this sexual-abuse business an AMERICAN problem? There are Catholic churches and Catholic priests all over the world, and all the priests live under the same unrealistic vow of celibacy. Why is it that only the American priesthood has given rise to all these sex scandals? At least, that's the impression I get from news reports over the past couple of years. Maybe it goes on in other countries but people there are less willing to talk about it?

Simple answer: it's NOT a uniquely American problem. There have been major pederasty scandals among priests in Ireland (among other countries), too. Last October, when I was there, that was all you read about in the Irish newspapers.

ruadh
03-17-2003, 06:09 PM
In fact such a scandal brought down an Irish government a decade ago.

bibliophage
03-17-2003, 10:15 PM
BrainGlutton, this is not the place for cheap shots. Your crack about the patron saint of pederasty belongs in the BBQ Pit forum, if anywhere. This is not the place to debate anything either, including scandals facing the Catholic Church. If you want to debate, you should do so in the Great Debates forum. If you have questions about the scandal(s) and honestly want to get factual answers without debate, it is better to start a new GQ thread than to hijack an existing one.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

HeyHomie
03-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Here's a follow-up question: St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland because [legend has it that] he forced the snakes out of Ireland (or forced the pagans out of Ireland, depending on which legend suits you). St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland.... for reasons that elude me right now.

Is Mary the patron saint of the US by default; meaning that we don't have any saint with a local legend attached to him/her so we automatically get Mary? Is this standard- that is, nations without a local legendary saint automatically get Mary?

A follow-up to the follow-up: does every nation in the world have a patron saint? How about non-Christian nations? Is there a patron saint of Japan (where around 2% of the population is Catholic)? How about Saudi Arabia (where around 0% of the population is Catholic)?

Finally, what about brand new nations? Will Serbia & Montenegro be assigned their own patron saint after a while? Or do they retain the patron saint of their old land (in this case Yugoslavia)?

Jonathan Chance
03-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by slipster
and the only American colony to observe religious tolerance generally)

No quibble with most of the post but I'm going to have to throw a flag on that part. Many of the original colonies have varying amounts of religious tolerance.

Dogface
03-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Firstoff, I would like to ask that people specify "Roman Catholic Saint" when asking such questions. The Orthodox "patron" of the Americas is St. Herman of Alaska, who organized the first systematic Orthodox missions in the Americas.

moriah
03-21-2003, 10:36 PM
The naming of a patron saint for a country would be up to the conference of bishops for that country. So, for newly formed countries, start lobbying the bishops for your choice. Some saints are so well loved and attached to the country, that, it is just a traditional given (like St. Patrick for Ireland).

The U.S. got Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception becuase that theological title for Mary was a hot item back then.

Mexico, and all the the Americas got Our Lady of Guadalupe because of the popularity of that apparition (it was quite influential in converting Native Americans to Catholicism).

Peace.
---------------
Since I believe that patron saints should be named solely based on alliteration, I'm torned between Ambrose of America or Eusebius of the U.S.

Terrifel
03-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Dogface
Firstoff, I would like to ask that people specify "Roman Catholic Saint" when asking such questions. The Orthodox "patron" of the Americas is St. Herman of Alaska, who organized the first systematic Orthodox missions in the Americas.
St. Herman, of course, made sure that every Orthodox mission had a laboratory in the basement and a dragon under the stairs.

bonzer
03-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by HeyHomie
St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland.... for reasons that elude me right now.

Supposedly, relics of him (http://geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/standrew.html) wound up there, specifically in St. Andrews in Fife on the east coast. Where the golf course is.

Northern Piper
03-24-2003, 07:56 AM
A follow-up to the follow-up: does every nation in the world have a patron saint? In the Anglican and Roman Catholic traditions, St. John the Baptist is the patron saint for Canada and also for Quebec, because John Cabot made his landfall on June 24. Although he landed in Newfoundland, by extension it was applied to all of British North America (as it came to be called).

Chronos
03-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Not just for countries, Mary is the patron of an awful lot of things, by default, as it were. As I mentioned in another post a while back, Mom ends up picking up the slack a lot. Whenever you hear of "Our Lady of..." or "The Virgin of...", that's Mary.

rhinostylee
03-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Saint Uncle Sam

That's not very funny, sorry.

BrainGlutton
04-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Bibliophage: Admonition accepted. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Dogface
04-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Here's a follow-up question: St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland because [legend has it that] he forced the snakes out of Ireland (or forced the pagans out of Ireland, depending on which legend suits you).

That's the popular legend. It's not why he's on the Roman and Orthodox calendars. He is on the official calendars because he was a great regularizer of Church practices in Ireland, securing its existence and administration from that point onwards.

Dogface
04-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Terrifel
St. Herman, of course, made sure that every Orthodox mission had a laboratory in the basement and a dragon under the stairs.

What is this rubbish? Why do you go out of your way to insult the Orthodox Church?

Dogface
04-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by HeyHomie A follow-up to the follow-up: does every nation in the world have a patron saint? How about non-Christian nations? Is there a patron saint of Japan (where around 2% of the population is Catholic)? How about Saudi Arabia (where around 0% of the population is Catholic)?

Among the Orthodox, the most likely candidate would be St. Nicholas of Japan, the first Bishop of an Orthodox see in Japan. He came from Russia to Japan in 1861, while Christianity was still illegal. Christianity was legalized in Japan in 1872 and he was consecrated Bishop of Tokyo (I think) in 1878. During the Russo-Japanese war, his loyalty remained with his Japanese flock.

There are several saints who came from and lived in Arabia, but this was before Islam appeared. Thus the modern state of Saudi Arabia would have no explicit patrons among the Orthodox.

Finally, what about brand new nations? Will Serbia & Montenegro be assigned their own patron saint after a while? Or do they retain the patron saint of their old land (in this case Yugoslavia)?

Serbia's patron saint has always been Saint Sava--of course, he is Orthodox. I do not recall if Montenegro has one.

Mira
04-14-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm sure not all the countries in the world have their own patron saints, it's not as if the Vatican assigns them one when they declare their independence. This (http://catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00993.htm) site says Yugoslavia had St. Cyril and St. Methodius as patron saints, but that was probably a pretty generic choice because they were apostles of all the Slavs anyhow.

Best Topics: joe flynn death weed whackers popular cigarettes oven safe mugs city of issuance stone wine dialing 1 boxer swollen eye jungle gold fake cartwheel pasta pyralvex walgreens ebay combine shipping harvard mascot animal illustrator italics techron works johan dewitt gravity hill wisconsin ringwraith horse cranium game rules minbari war forging stamps dirty limericks nantucket motorcycle high handlebars nermal garfield floor mounted urinals ansie aschenbach ancient chinese hat urban action figures labyrinth puzzle plexiglass fences 220v hair dryer real horsepower of muscle cars will ibuprofen kill a dog how to make polyurethane look like glass what is the half life of flexeril usps insufficient postage policy large bale of hay what do hearing aids sound like cellulose encased laser guided bomb diablo 2 set items claritin d purchase limit ac line freezes up how long does a diesel engine last my cat has scabs under her chin where do welts come from can doctors charge for filling out forms postage paid by addressee fedex at destination sort facility pickup can you eat expired peanut butter steam what is a booster pack asbestos trust fund wiki what does a black truffle taste like take with food meaning c++ bus error philip and paul malone papa john's garlic sauce creamy best store bought chili what are they selling how to reduce unhappiness from population civilization 5 good looking naked men 60 caliber machine gun do you have to join hoa bob seger fire lake video 4th graders kissing on the lips how to get your taste buds back during a cold nurse jackie imdb cast