PDA

View Full Version : Barber Shop Hours

SonOfArizona
07-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Can someone please explain to me the logic behind barber shops taking off Sundays and Mondays rather than say... Mondays and Tuesdays? Wouldn't you think that a barber shop would get much more business on a Sunday than any weekday? For that matter, why do they close so early on weekdays, the majority of them closing at 5 or 6, maybe 7 at the latest, yet stay open early in the morning through the afternoon? Kids go to school and adults work in the afternoons. This is the way it has been for as long as I remember, yet it makes no sense to me.

NoGoodNamesLeft
07-01-2003, 01:55 AM
It's an old superstition that you should never get your haircut on a Sunday...just ask my wife who won't allow it.

skaterboarder87
07-01-2003, 01:56 AM
My parents own a hair salon and Saturday is their biggest day of the week...with few exceptions. Sundays are typically slow, it's church/family day, thus they take Sundays and Mondays off.

kniz
07-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Do barbers still have a union that dictates when they will be closed? Always seemed more like a cartel to me, since all barbers belonged to the union (even the shop owners).

Keeve
07-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Who needs a haircut on Monday? If some fancy event was happening on the weekend, it's too late. Be happy that the barbers stayed open on Saturday for the procrastinators, and let them take their 2 days off.

kniz
07-02-2003, 05:57 PM
So there still is a union Keeve?

Duderdude2
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Beats the hell out of me. I know my parents aren't part of a union, but they aren't barbers either.

Duderdude2
07-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Btw, Duderdude2=Skateboarder87, my other account stopped working, hence this one *sigh*

elmwood
07-03-2003, 12:32 AM
In Buffalo, lots of barbers took off on Wednesday instead. Go figure.

THere was usually a sign displayed in front of all barber shops saying "Barber Union Hours" or something similar. I'd assume the union is still active in heavily unionized Buffalo.

tram2
07-03-2003, 12:37 AM
I always thought they got together on Mondays to practice their singing. ;)

doctordoowop
07-03-2003, 12:44 AM
A local shop is open 6AM to &PM- M-F; 8-6 on Sat & 9-5 on Sun. I guess being Russian makes them "immune" to US customs.

Mesquite-oh
07-03-2003, 01:21 AM
I remember my barber (old time, downtown kinda barber) telling me that his shop was one of the first in San Antonio to start with the Sundays/Mondays off schedule. He said that other shops started doing it and he followed them. Barbershops could not be open in Texas back then because a lot of business were either not allowed to operate on Sundays or encouraged not to operate on Sundays(I believe they called them Blue Laws and I believe they had some kind of religious justification because I remember the churches got pissed when they repealed them). For example, I remember when I was a kid (early 70's), certain non-food sections of the supermarket were roped off on Sunday. Anyway, if you couldn't work on Sunday, Monday would seem to be the natural 2nd day off since you would not want to lose Saturday's business. If you really need to get a haircut on a Monday or latenight, go to one of the modern haircutting places, like the ones in the malls.

Really Not All That Bright
07-03-2003, 01:55 AM
Related question- do any Florida dopers know of a barbershop near Orlando that will still provide a straight-razor shave?

elmwood
07-03-2003, 12:19 PM
dutchboy208,If you want to travel to the Confederate cultural enclave of west Orange County, there's a good old-fashioned your-father's-style barber shop in the Tri-City Plaza on US 50 in Winter Garden that gives razor shaves. Stay away from the barbershop on Plant Street in Winter Garden ... the owner, like many residents of that city, has a mullet.

If you have an annual pass, you might want to partake of a an excellent, inexpensive barber shop on Main Street USA at the Magic Kingdom.

Philster
07-03-2003, 12:50 PM
If they all stay closed on the same days, business doesn't suffer. If some start opening on Sunday's everyone will have to switch.

Like car dealers...if they all stay closed on Sunday, nobody's business suffers.

Locally, we always figured blue laws were the reason shops were closed (Philly, NJ area)

Best Topics: charcoal in fireplace concert amps mythbusters dimpled car tree one liners grits taste huffy mongoose bike unannounced guest battery plus end optimum antonym submarine ballast deliverance novel terrapin point inbred animals oyster pronunciation eyeball jokes thomas guides male ballerino fuck steve jobs sickly child straining to poop leg bounce 48 weeks pregnant adrian richardson outback bike repair cost noir style music card carrying democrat removing window screen mammy meaning trimps underachiever intimidating stare batman yellow monistat for dogs ear infections fallout 3 beginners guide unsupported number of players civ 5 world of warships sucks why prepping is pointless who sells boric acid powder what part of bok choy do you use forwarding mail sent to wrong address 1920s new york accent peters projection pros and cons suntrust home equity loan calculator what is considered a mild detergent 2003 mazda protege check engine light dunkin donuts cafe au lait tonsil stones making me sick new york hard rolls can women wear mens shoes finger with string reminder is all clad worth the price disturbed down with the sickness release date guy with small hands harry potter nimbus 2000 toy gorilla tape electrical wires mobile home closing costs knee reflex not working intersex jamie lee curtis how much is a human soul worth toyota avalon transmission flush what magnification is required to view sperm lower back pain when standing up for long periods definition of punta in spanish purina fancy feast review