PDA

View Full Version : Who stole the 'd' from "Pigeon"

Lobsang
07-16-2003, 11:40 PM
I was just watching countdown (well listening actually) The guy said "Pigeon" and spelled it with a d. Richard Whiteley said "Is that how you spell Pigeon?" I said (mentally) "P. I. D. G. E. O. N. Yes" Then the peple in dictionary corner said "no d"

How can two complete strangers (me and the contestant) make the same unusual mistake of adding a silent 'd' to a word? Or did it once have a 'd'?

Q.E.D.
07-16-2003, 11:59 PM
It's not that unusual. Many words with the same sound, like 'knowledge', are spelled with the D. I have another English friend who spells it that way too, even though she knows better.

Rick
07-17-2003, 12:44 AM
He needed it for the spelling of Wednesday.

j.c.
07-17-2003, 01:38 AM
It was the same blokes what took the P from hampster and switched the e for an a in grayhound.

I hate those guys.

Achernar
07-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Lobsang
How can two complete strangers (me and the contestant) make the same unusual mistake of adding a silent 'd' to a word? Or did it once have a 'd'?It's the same reason they changed munites to minutes. ;)

I submit that you may also be getting confused with the word pidgin.

sailor
07-17-2003, 02:33 AM
I never understood why some people believe it has a D. I always spelled it correctly Websters:

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French pijon, from Late Latin pipion-, pipio young bird, from Latin pipire to chirp

Peanuthead
07-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Lobsang
Who stole the 'd' from "Pigeon"

A midget?

:D

Manduck
07-17-2003, 02:57 AM
It could be that you've seen it spelled that way in the name of actor Walter Pidgeon (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Pidgeon,+Walter) and assumed the bird should be spelled the same way.

Mangetout
07-17-2003, 03:27 AM
I wonder if it anything to do with having seen the word pidgin (as in languagues).

GuanoLad
07-17-2003, 04:56 AM
It's an 'invisible D' (as opposed to a 'silent D').

Mangetout
07-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Not like the silent P in bath then?

Colophon
07-17-2003, 05:45 AM
It was the same blokes what took the P from hampster and switched the e for an a in grayhound.

I never quite understood why so many people put a p in "hamster". Is it the subliminal influence of "hamper"? (Hmm, I got a lovely big hampster stuffed with food and drink...)

As for "greyhound", if you're going to muck about with the spelling of "grey", then you can't complain when other words don't change to follow suit...

amarone
07-17-2003, 05:46 AM
It is the same d that some people put in priviledge.

sailor
07-17-2003, 05:59 AM
and in refridgerator

Shrinking Violet
07-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by sailor
and in refridgerator

..... Which is an interestinbg one, because although the correct spelling is "refrigerator", the correct spelling in the UK of the shortened version is "fridge"!

Julie

amarone
07-17-2003, 06:52 AM
And confusingly, there is a bird (a duck) called a widgeon (http://birdsinalaska.org/amwi_full.htm). In this case, wigeon is a lesser-used alternative.

sailor
07-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Shrinking Violet
..... Which is an interestinbg one, because although the correct spelling is "refrigerator", the correct spelling in the UK of the shortened version is "fridge"! Is it true that English women are fridgid? ;)

XJETGIRLX
07-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Along a similar vein, I'd like to know who took the R out of sherbe(r)t, or did I just imagine that whole episode?

Colophon
07-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Eh? How do you pronounce "sherbet"?

Achernar
07-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Not to worry. Sherbert is a valid alternate spelling of sherbet, with a corresponding alternate pronunciation.

ElectroSunDog
07-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Because spelling it that way makes it look awkward.

Shrinking Violet
07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by sailor
Is it true that English women are fridgid? ;)

I can honestly say there isn't a single (or married) woman in England who is fridgid. :D

Julie

UnwrittenNocturne
07-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Actually doesn't 'awkward' look, well, awkward?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: baitbus girl usain pronunciation french for waiter jacob's ladder electricity 1940s beards shrapnel grenade dagmar 1950's bouncy gait plexiglass fences private courier jobs stage hynosis michael york children silt river she once was a true love of mine why does vinegar make me sweat send check in mail how tall am i? how long are cold cuts good when are fahrenheit and celsius the same how to outrun cops pampered chef digital thermometer 2243 how long does fedex deliver till do traffic warnings go on your record glass top vs coil electric range