PDA

View Full Version : Business Casual: Socks match your shoes or match your slacks?

BrianS
08-25-2003, 07:22 AM
When dressing for business casual, do you wear socks that match your shoes or socks that match your slacks?

I mean, if I'm wearing grey socks and black shoes, do I wear grey socks or black socks?

If I'm wearing khaki pants and black shoes, do I wear lighter-colored socks, or black ones?

If I'm wearing light-colored khaki pants and dark brown shoes, do I wear dark brown socks, or lighter colored socks?

Harborwolf
08-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Socks should match your shoes unless you're going for a Michael Jackson-type look.

Alias
08-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Oops. I posted under my boyfriend's account.

ANYWAY, I think matching socks to shoes has a more professional, put-together look. It also creates a neater, unbroken look between your pants and your shoes. Matching socks to pants would have a sloppy look if someone got a glimpse of ankle.:eek:

Desmostylus
08-25-2003, 07:35 AM
Even if you feel that you must occasionally wear brown shoes, never, ever, wear brown socks. ::barf smiley::

green_bladder
08-25-2003, 07:36 AM
Generally, I think you should match similar-toned socks with your shoes. Beige or tan socks with brown shoes etc. But they should also blend in with the colour of your trousers. So black trousers with beige socks and brown shoes = nono.

My two cents.

VernWinterbottom
08-25-2003, 07:57 AM
There's a dilemma here, because while women have, at last count,16,723 different shoe colors, we fellas have far fewer.
We don't get far beyond black, brown, tan, etc. So what do I have navy blue socks for? When was the last time you saw a man wearing maroon shoes?

green_bladder
08-25-2003, 08:06 AM
VernWinterbottom: Navy blue can go with your black shoes and dark trousers. But I'd be worried about them maroon socks though ;)

BrianS
08-25-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Desmostylus
Even if you feel that you must occasionally wear brown shoes, never, ever, wear brown socks. ::barf smiley::

I have a pair of cestnut-brown cap toe oxfords that I wear with khaki-colored slacks. What color socks SHOULD I wear with them?

Quartz
08-25-2003, 09:14 AM
IME, in the UK, men should wear grey or black or blue-black socks, period. Women have much greater latitude.

Susanann
08-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by VernWinterbottom
There's a dilemma here, because while women have, at last count,16,723 different shoe colors,

And they all have to match the outfit, jewelry, and the purse. The dilemma is on the women, not the men. Its harder for women to match 16,723 colors instead of just 3 colors, not easier. That is why color blindness is so rare in females, because color corrdination is necessary for females to survive.

amarone
08-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Susanann
And they all have to match the outfit, jewelry, and the purse. The dilemma is on the women, not the men. Its harder for women to match 16,723 colors instead of just 3 colors, not easier. That is why color blindness is so rare in females, because color corrdination is necessary for females to survive. I thought that there was no such thing as color coordination - it is merely an invention of women so that they can use it to humiliate men.

Drifting quietly away from GQ here....

Beryl_Mooncalf
08-25-2003, 09:48 AM
BrianS asked,I mean, if I'm wearing grey socks and black shoes, do I wear grey socks or black socks?

Trick question right?
The correct answer is..."Hope you're wearing grey underwear"!
Did I hear a bell?

gluteus maximus
08-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Your socks should match each other.

msmith537
08-25-2003, 10:15 AM
You have a choice of 2 colors:

Navy blue (almost black)

and Black

That is all.

moriah
08-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Hmph. Bunch of hosiery deontologists.

Socks can 'match' either shoes or pants, or, they can be a coordinated color. Deciding which way to go depends on a couple of factors:

1. Of all the choices, which simply 'looks' better?

2. Are you dressing stylishly or conservatively?

In a business environment, even on casual days, one dresses conservatively (unless your business is essentially stylish, like clowning, e.g.). This means you choose the matching or coordinated color which makes the ankle fade into background, usually the darker color.

If you're going out to a fun dinner, then wear the socks that match or coordinate and stick out a bit more for a flash of color and style. But don't go novelty-sock crazy, that's just... crazy.

Peace.
-----------------
Sock it to me.

Ringo
08-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Black socks work with almost anything you'd wer as business casual. And if all your socks are black, they all go with each other.

TaxGuy
08-25-2003, 12:22 PM
OK, here's what I do, for what it's worth:

-navy blue pants + brown shoes = navy blue socks

-navy blue pants + black shoes = black socks

-khaki pants + brown shoes = khaki socks

-I don't wear black shoes with khaki pants

-same as khaki for the olive pants (i.e., brown shoes and olive socks only)

-charcoal gray pants + black shoes = either charcoal gray socks or black socks, whichever I find first

And there you go.

WotNot
08-25-2003, 12:46 PM
This is a common dilemma, and one on which opinions differ:

The traditional style is for the socks to match the trousers, creating an unbroken visual line down the leg, ending at the shoes – if you are wearing blue trousers and black shoes, then your socks should be blue. This would tend to emphasise the boundary between sock and shoe, drawing attention to the shoes. Which might be a good thing if you have particularly good shoes.

A popular modern (smart) style is for the socks to match the shoes, creating an unbroken visual line up from the shoes and under the trousers – if you are wearing blue trousers and black shoes, then your socks should be black. This seems like a fairly safe choice, since it has the same visual effect as wearing a pair of boots would. Probably a good idea if the contrast between trousers and shoes is very noticable.

Another point of view is to consider the sock as a bridging area between trouser and shoe, which should ideally blend the two into an harmonious whole – so if you’re wearing blue trousers and black shoes, your socks should be a blue darker than the trousers, creating a visual "bridge" between the two.

Having said all that, if you’re wearing khaki pants and black shoes, there’s probably no hope for you. Try pink, that’s a nice colour. Or orange.
:rolleyes:

Sunspace
08-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Black socks, black shoes, black pants. Bright red shirt with company logo. :)

OTOH, I saw one of our support people in the caf today wearing a neon green tie and neon green running shoes. Somehow I never noticed his socks...

GargoyleWB
08-25-2003, 01:01 PM
It's interesting that there is a point along the business formality chain where the coordination between socks-shoes-pants takes an abrupt crazy about-face. When a certain level of management is reached, it becomes completely acceptable, even encourged, to start wearing socks with little colored icons on them--sail boats, golf clubs, mickey mouse ears, company logo, etc.

I long for the day when I get promoted to the point where I can dazzle the boardroom with my Batz Maru socks.

BrotherCadfael
08-25-2003, 01:06 PM
When I wear long pants I wear black socks.

When I wear shorts, I wear white socks (with sneakers, of course).

I own no socks of any other color.

Frank #2
08-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Never one to follow any kind of fashion rule, I try to match my socks to my shirt. For example: today I have on a dark blue shirt with khaki slacks. I picked dark blue socks to match the shirt.

With all this talk about socks matching the shoes or the slacks, where does the shirt fit in? I would think that something covering nearly 50% of you should play some part in your overall outfit.

WotNot
08-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Frank #2
With all this talk about socks matching the shoes or the slacks, where does the shirt fit in?

I generally try to keep my shirt on the upper part of my body. YMMV.

Chronos
08-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Bah, my system is simpler.

Black slacks, black shoes: White socks
Black slacks, brown shoes: White socks
Black slacks, blue shoes: White socks
Black slacks, white shoes: White socks
Blue slacks, black shoes: White socks
Blue slacks, brown shoes: White socks
Blue slacks, blue shoes: White socks
Blue slacks, white shoes: White socks
Khaki slacks, black shoes: White socks
Khaki slacks, brown shoes: White socks
Khaki slacks, blue shoes: White socks
Khaki slacks, white shoes: White socks
Anything with sandals: No socks, are you kidding? Socks with sandals look idiotic.

Brad Amundsen
08-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Chronos,

White socks, are you kidding! You're embarassing us Montanans you nerd.

The above use of the word "nerd" is meant with no malicious intent and in a decent and respectful Montanan to Montanan way!

Jackknifed Juggernaut
08-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by TaxGuy

Really. Why not? This is a staple of my business casual wardrobe. Of course, the black shoes must be shiny, and the socks must be black.

TaxGuy
08-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut
Really. Why not? This is a staple of my business casual wardrobe. Of course, the black shoes must be shiny, and the socks must be black.
Yeah, I've seen other do it to good effect, but it just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. Maybe it's because a lot of the time the shirt I'll wear with khaki pants is some form of blue (or has a pattern with blue in it), and I don't like black shoes and a black belt with a blue shirt.

Plus, I just don't wear a lot of black generally.

kniz
08-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Frank #2
Never one to follow any kind of fashion rule, I try to match my socks to my shirt.
Very good rule for casual.

Brown shoes with black or grey pants tells me you don't own a pair of black shoes. Black shoes with brown pants is iffy, as in if the pants are dark brown don't do it.

Chronos, the only way to get by with those white socks is to be a celebrity or a member of the intelligentsia. ;)

lost4life
08-25-2003, 02:47 PM
When was the last time you saw a man wearing maroon shoes?

*Quietly raises hand*

I'm currently wearing a pair of maroonish, low cut, Doc Marten dress shoes.

And how I choose the socks is more by smell than by sight.

WotNot
08-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Not maroon, oxblood. Every gentleman ought to have a pair of oxblood shoes in his wardrobe.

Kempis
08-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Jeebus you people are uptight. I work in a business professional environment and I actually match my socks to my tie. I've got orange, yellow, red, blue, purple, etc. It gives a balanced look, and isn't too noticeable until I sit down. Fun conversation too. ^_^

It's kind of hard to find a lot of colors to socks, but Macy's Men has some at a good price.

-k

hermann
08-25-2003, 06:14 PM
I loved being in the Army: green shirt, green pants, green socks, black boots. No worrying about matching socks there.

VernWinterbottom
08-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Since we're talking moderately conservative casual, I checked what L.L.Bean sells for men's socks. Basic charcoal, navy, black, tan, white. One outdoor casual came in forest green, obviously to match the background while walking in the woods.

I agree with Kempis that this whole question is a bit uptight. Isn't the idea of "casual day" not having to worry about your socks?

coop_2000
08-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Just remember that the shoes should always match the belt, which shouldn't be the same color of the pants..which shouldn't be the same color as the shirt..which shouldn't be the same color as the tie, which may or may not be the same color of the socks.

BrianS
08-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Ok, so:

Black slacks + black shoes = black socks?

Khaki slacks + brown shoes = khaki socks?

Khaki slacks + black shoes = black socks?

Grey slacks + black shoes = black socks?

Grey slacks + black shoes = grey socks questionable, black socks
preferred?

Grey slacks + brown shoes = instant screaming death?

I think I got it.

msmith537
08-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by TaxGuy
[/B]

I think that used to be a faux-paux but it's fine now. Black shoes and khakis and a solid shirt looks dressier.

Chronos - Unless you are going to the gym, no white socks..ever.

I agree with Kempis that this whole question is a bit uptight. Isn't the idea of "casual day" not having to worry about your socks?

No. The idea of "casual day" is not to dress like a slob or a dork. You are still at work and supposed to look professional.

gazpacho
08-26-2003, 02:42 PM
A new report is in from the BBC. Wearing socks with sandals is a time honored tradition in Briton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3181443.stm

amarone
08-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by gazpacho
A new report is in from the BBC. Wearing socks with sandals is a time honored tradition in Briton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3181443.stm Where is Briton?

Actually, the article cited criticizes the dress sense of the Romans, not the Brits.

bibliophage
08-26-2003, 03:51 PM
This is a matter of opinion, so I'll move this thread to IMHO.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

(Black socks. No slacks, no shoes, no class, no matter.)

Turbo Dog
08-26-2003, 05:02 PM
All my shoes are black. All my socks are black. My slacks are of all different colors, but the majority of them are khaki. Black shoes go with everything. Brown shoes don't. Plus, I just think brown shoes look bad.

One guy I know wears highly polished burgundy wingtips with everything and it generally looks pretty horrid to me, but I'm a serious fashion assassin, which is why I stick to basics.

Tennis shoes get worn without socks, or with little white socks. The ones that just barely cover the ankle, whatever they are called.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Turbo Dog
Tennis shoes get worn without socks, or with little white socks. The ones that just barely cover the ankle, whatever they are called.
"Girly socks."

Turbo Dog
08-26-2003, 07:54 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooo:)

Apollyon
08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Simple: black shoes, (well boots technically -- bad ankles, and you never know when rugged terrain will appear in an IT environment), black socks, black trousers, black shirt... and if cold, black jersey. (sweater?)

Not only colour co-ordinated, but corporate colours, and patriotic too. :)

The company I work for has black and gold as corporate colours. Kiwis have a tendency (IME) towards lots of black clothing anyway -- we like all black, we dress our sports teams in it*. Work had an "all black" dress day a while ago (during the America's Cup races). I forgot about it, came in dressed normally and didn't notice the slight extra amount of black in the office for some time.

*Co-worker got hassled in a Portland, OR gym once 'cos she was wearing a black cap with "All Blacks" embroided on it -- the name of our national Rugby team. Someone seemed to think it was some sort of racist slogan. :smack:

shrew
08-26-2003, 10:16 PM
For the record, and this is a Shrew Definite: NEVER match your socks with your shirt. It's just...1985. Besides that, it breaks a body up into parts and will create the illusion of "chunks". It is better to create straight lines that will make a body seem taller and slimmer. JMHO.

With that out of the way, allow me to be one of the people who matches socks with pants. Today I wore a black and white pinstriped top, black sailor-flared trousers, black trouser socks, and gorgeous red shoes. Yum. I love days like today when the look comes together just right. Had I worn red trouser socks, I would have looked diseased when the trousers swished as I walked. Looking diseased is not a look I aim for. I only wanted people to notice the pant and the shoe, not the leg underneath. A red trouser sock would have ruined the whole look.

Debaser
08-27-2003, 09:39 AM
I have brown shoes and black shoes that I wear to work. With whatever else I am wearing I wear black socks.

I figure, black matches everything right?

I can't be bothered to have many different colors of socks lying around. Matching them all up after a wash would be a pain in the neck. I also don't want to deal with the hassle of thinking about all this early in the morning when getting ready for work.

NicePete
08-27-2003, 10:06 AM
I just try to make mine match each other. If I cover that, the shoes and the pants can just deal.

CanvasShoes
08-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Shoes.

{{says shoes :D}}

FairyChatMom
08-27-2003, 10:23 AM
This reminds me of eons ago when I was a young technician in the Navy, working the mid shift. One of my shipmates came in one night having apparently dressed in the dark so as not to awaken his wife. His only non-regulation clothing was a pair of pink socks.

This guy was 6'5" and wore a size 16 shoe. Where did he find pink socks in his size?!?

yeah, they were probably white ones that got into a red load

Horrifying Howler Monkey
08-27-2003, 10:27 AM
I think guys should always wear those socks with fuzzy cats on them with those plastic google eyes. Think of how happy everyone would be then.

Kempis
08-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by shrew
For the record, and this is a Shrew Definite: NEVER match your socks with your shirt. It's just...1985. Besides that, it breaks a body up into parts and will create the illusion of "chunks". It is better to create straight lines that will make a body seem taller and slimmer. JMHO.
... I only wanted people to notice the pant and the shoe, not the leg underneath. A red trouser sock would have ruined the whole look.

I disagree. Keeping the socks the same color with the pants gives me the illusion that the socks are a part of the pants. That would make me think the pants are somehow tucked into the shoes like a baseball uniform or something. :)

Changing the colors gives the impression of layers, which everyone knows the more clothes you have on the more money you have to spend on clothes and laundry and therefore more professional you look. :(

-k

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: could magic exist yoshi translation blood pressure phobia stapling papers blonde guy mattress firm jingle omen music sinus surgery experience salami and pepperoni rumours album cover alaska nfl team is beer carbonated captain farrell how to warm up your pool buying a lemon law buyback car his name is mudd heated blanket with timer how to write on car windows how much pseudoephedrine can i buy asian person with blue eyes stainless steel back base metal bezel funny easter stories for church fly in wheels mc florida armour hot dog commercial rain rain go away by isaac asimov