PDA

View Full Version : Beer and tomato juice? Huh?

Spoons
10-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Recently, my wife and I moved from Toronto to Calgary (and yes, one of these days, I'll update my location in my SDMB profile). We're settling onto our new home without too many problems, and exploring the neighbourhood. On one of our explorations, we found a sports bar that I've returned to a few times, especially since it was some time before our TV was unpacked and connected, and I've wanted to see some TV sports.

Anyway, I've noticed that a number of people in the sports bar order a small container of tomato juice to go with their beer. They pour the beer into a glass, then dump the juice into the beer, and drink it. For all the pubs and bars I've been to in my life, I've never seen this, or indeed, even heard of it. But they seem to quite like it.

So, who has tried this beer-and-tomato-juice concoction? What's it like? What's it called? And should I give it a try someday?

LabRat
10-18-2003, 01:04 PM
My wife tried this recently. She made a noise like a cat coughing up a fur ball.

Weirddave
10-18-2003, 01:29 PM
My wife, who is from Alberta, does the same thing, except she uses Clamato juice. She quite likes it.

Personally, I'd rather lick a cat.

KarmaComa
10-18-2003, 01:35 PM
I've heard of people doing it in the Maritimes... never tried it.

Larry Mudd
10-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Where I come from, we call such a mixture a Redeye.

(We also point and laugh.)

Ukulele Ike
10-18-2003, 03:41 PM
I've had it. It's much better than it should be. In the summertime, it actually makes the beer taste colder.

Clearly, it's something that should only be done to cheap American beers of the Bud/Coors/Miller ilk.

I believe it was first concocted in the St. Louis area. They call it "red beer" down there.

Chefguy
10-18-2003, 03:58 PM
We used to drink it like that the morning after the night before. Sort of a poor man's bloody mary. With a little chili powder and cumin, it went from a "redeye" to an "ojo rojo".

Mr. Babbington
10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Michelada (http://npr.org/programs/atc/features/2001/aug/010815.michelada.html)

This is a basic recipe...but you can add tomato juice.

quothz
10-18-2003, 04:02 PM
For a redeye, you also need a raw egg. It's just a red beer otherwise. Me, I like Corona with spicy V-8. Good stuff.

Kakkerlak
10-18-2003, 04:05 PM
I only saw this in north and central Ontario, and sometimes in NS and NB. Never in BC or anywhere on the prairies.

I started to like it- it may have prevented some hangovers- but lost the taste once I returned to the Northwest US and began drinking Rogue and McMenamins again.

Raygun99
10-18-2003, 05:24 PM
I'd say this is pretty prevalent across Canada though more common in smaller centres than in larger cities. One effect it has is to extend the beer supply and thus makes it ideal for camping and boating trips.

Geoduck
10-18-2003, 07:21 PM
In the Olympic peninsula, the alchoholic loggers call it a red beer. They usually have it Sunday morning to help temper the effects of a massive hangover.

Girlbysea
10-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Being from a Navy town, I learned this long ago. Loved it !! Still do!!

labmonkey
10-19-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Larry Mudd
Where I come from, we call such a mixture a Redeye.

(We also point and laugh.)

Here,here. It's usually touted as a hangover cure in da UP eh.

Caprese
10-19-2003, 07:16 AM
Grew up drinking beer here in Denver, and we called it red beer, too. I don't drink so much beer anymore, but I remember really liking it. I've seen it used as a hangover drink as well.

Khadaji
10-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Doesn't sound good. I like bloody mary's. But I like my beer to be beer.

SiXSwordS
10-19-2003, 09:57 AM
I've seen this a lot in MN and WI. As far as I can tell, it's not just for hangovers anymore. I agree that this is for your watery, American beers in which it actually improves the taste, what little there is to start with. My take is that if you have to add something to improve the taste of the beer you might want to just try a better beer. I tend to skip the beer and go for a nice Gin and Tonic.... in a hot tub.

voguevixen
10-19-2003, 11:11 AM
A friend who just did a stint bartending in Las Vegas reports a popular Canadian drink is the Ceasar, which is vodka and Clamato. (Perhaps they just really dig tomato juice up there?) The worst thing I think I've ever seen in my life was a billboard in a latino section of town advertising "Clamato y tequila!" ::shudder:: I almost had to pull over and rest my head on the steering wheel.

Spoons
10-19-2003, 11:57 AM
True enough, voguevixen, the Caesar is popular here. Almost too popular, in fact, since there are many servers who think that when you order a Bloody Mary, you really meant a Bloody Caesar.

They mean well, I suppose, but as one whose system just cannot handle clam juice, I wish they wouldn't assume I meant something other than what I asked for. There have been so many errors made this way that I've stopped ordering Marys up here now; I'll make one myself at home if I really have a hankering for one.

Oh well. Back to the beer and tomato juice. I had no idea that it was so popular and in so many places and with so many variations. Thanks for the advice, all; it looks as if I'll have to try this someday. Perhaps at home first, so I know I'm getting tomato juice, and not Clamato by well-intentioned mistake.

Cowgirl Jules
10-19-2003, 09:41 PM
My sweetie likes it. He calls it tomato beer, and uses V8 juice. I tried it once. Thanks, but no, although all in all, I'd rather drink it than lick a cat's butt.

GingerOfTheNorth
10-20-2003, 07:50 AM
It's not beer and tomato juice, it's Beer and Clamato. And it makes crappy beer better. That is something I have sorely needed since moving to the US - if I'm going to have beer, it's gonna be with clamato.

Also, I would like to point out to you nay-sayers: Oxymoron and his SO were here for dinner on Friday night. I made them Ceasars (Vodka, Clamato, Worcestershire Sauce, salt, pepper, and celery salt) and they LIKED them. So NYAH.

OxyMoron
10-20-2003, 09:29 AM
This I can confirm. I always thought Clamato was just a hideous, drug-induced abomination, which at best made it a sort of northern-latitudes ipecac: It's tomato-y! It's clammy! It's---blaaaarrrrrrghhhrghghgh.....

But I can honestly say that it mixes well with vodka, worcestershire, and spices. Really tasty, in fact.

Still not sure that I'd ever drink the stuff without the protective addition of grain spirits.

Duke of Rat
10-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Hell, you can get a pitcher of red beer here in the bars. It's a favorite with the early morning bar patrons. I always thought it was a way to justify drinking so early...you are getting some nutritious tomato juice with your beer!

I've tried it, but I prefer the spicy V8 and beer myself (not that it's on my list of favorite drinks, but if...)

Cowgirl Jules
10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Ginger, I'll try your Caesar. I like Clamato anyway (oh, shush), and I love a bloody mary. Sounds even better your way!

GingerOfTheNorth
10-20-2003, 12:13 PM
It IS. It's lovely. It's just a shake or two of salt & pepper, and about three or four drops of Worcester in 1 oz vodka and about 5 oz (or less if you like it stronger) Clamato. You make it in a glass with a celery-salted rim, and stir it with a celery stalk. Yummah!

Larry Mudd
10-20-2003, 02:03 PM
A tiny bit of horseradish is requisite for a proper Caesar, in my opinion.

Cowgirl Jules
10-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Now, I can't stand celery, but for some reason I've always kind of tolerated it in a Bloody Mary. Is it absolutely necessary, or can I skip it?

And Larry, I haven't got horseradish on hand. Would it be horrifying to substitue a spike of hot sauce?

Larry Mudd
10-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Hell no! Tabasco is a pretty standard addition.

I like to use a bit of Tuong Ot Toi (http://fifthsense.com/ProductDetail/91/Classification/13) chili garlic sauce, which I suppose plenty of folks would find horrifying.

Works for me though.

WILLASS
10-21-2003, 05:46 AM
Can I get this straight.....'clamato' is clam juice and tomato juice? WHOA!! Saying that i'm the kind of weird person who likes that kind of thing and I adore a properley made bloody mary (quality vodka, premium tomato juice, dash of dry sherry, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, tabasco, celery salt and pepper, one cube of ice, stirred with a stick of celery) so I may like this freakish sounding drink. Is a 'bloody ceaser' basically a 'bloody mary' with clamto instead of tomato juice? Also where can I get this stuff?

GingerOfTheNorth
10-21-2003, 07:18 AM
I can buy it at one of the grocery stores around here, but it's hard to find (at least in Baltimore). At home (Canada), it's in every grocery store and many of the 'party' stores where you can buy liquor and mix.

Best Topics: soviet titles simpsons plagiarismo swallow hurts cranston coal tawne stone nose thumb albania song cheers general delivery usps dial operator cracker barrel signs proactiv cheaper sony san francisco nacht in german quiznos wiki heels peeling buying nos honey and coffee brun questionable content alternator testing autozone homeslice urban dictionary original jarts ebay weeping buddha safepass bofa skank girl oak island forum billy joel vietnam cum from lapdance coaxial fm antenna moo moo buckaroo gumption etymology sideways traffic light dan 5730 how to make your head bigger spring is in the air meaning best linear tracking turntable carrie-anne moss lesbian what does it feel like to bleed to death authentic shrunken head for sale what is ass to mouth can i live in a commercial property if i own it odd shaped picture frames venting a bathroom fan into the attic how does a bar tab work best juice to mix with tequila i can't eat vegetables without gagging why do basketball coaches wear suits and ties guy on girl action consumer cellular jack and connie car cranks slow then starts six packs of two-four mail to wrong address why do people wear their watch upside down how tall is jack nicholson have you ever committed a crime david blaine harrison ford fruit bubble bath in jetted tub how to combine ebay shipping is taxicab confessions real where to buy monocle do you have to vote for everything on the ballot sunburn and muscle pain value of old encyclopedias new glasses make me feel sick water staying in washing machine clouds in my coffee