PDA

View Full Version : what is considered a thin/non-fat waist size for a man?

Wesley Clark
10-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I don't get it. I have a large bone structure (7.75" wrist), a muscular frame and what i think is a large waist (around 41-42"). I just had a friend tell me i look skinny, which makes no sense to me. I always figured skinny was +/- 35" for a large framed person and 31" for a small framed person.

What are your opinions on what constitutes a waist measurement that is not really a sign of being overweight, and more importantly why do i feel stupid posting this?

xizor
10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
wouldn't it depend on your height?

Freiheit
10-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Well, the preferred waist-to-hips ratio in men is 9:10.

cite: beautycheck.de (it's somewhere on there)

ultrafilter
10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
You can't go just by waist size, just because of variations in the way men are built. Bodyfat percentage is what matters here.

bojon
10-22-2003, 07:20 PM
I wore 34s for years, 6'0' 180lbs, 36s felt better, I put on 20lbs, 38s, feel good, but 40s are comfortable. Who cares? The women in your life will not leave you for a couple of inches. If they do, you are better off without them......And by the way, are your male friends going to say," Oh Wesley, are you sure you want that next donut?"

Wesley Clark
10-22-2003, 07:24 PM
im just wondering for my own curiosity. i dont see how someone could consider me thin with a 42" waist. i am 6'0".

bojon
10-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Wesley, if you have large bones, you could look slim at 230lbs. I have broad shoulders, I might look good even at 240lbs. Its the smile that does it..........

Ukulele Ike
10-22-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm 6 feet tall, and I used to wear 38 waists when I was fat. Now I wear 34s.

Jervoise
10-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm 5'11''. I have a 30'' waist but I'm a bit over 40'' around my chest. I look a bit lop-sided. :)

How tall are you Wesley? A 41''-42'' doesn't sound at skinny to me.

Urban Ranger
10-23-2003, 03:12 AM
It depends on how big you are.

notquitekarpov
10-23-2003, 04:33 AM
It don't look skinny to me, but not fat either if you are a big lad and 6'+.

Are you living in the US? Now, I don't want to suggest you guys are fat but from what I have seen you all look a bit more big-boned than us Europeans!! In comparison maybe you do look skinny. I used to live in Texas and I felt like a ghost compared to the size of some of the guys in the office.

Me, 6'1", 34" waist, 42" chest, 165lbs; that looks skinny to me.

I would be happy to put on another 10lb of muscle, but then again I been told otherwise, that I look pretty normal. GF does not seem to mind....

Dinsdale
10-23-2003, 08:15 AM
My secret is to keep getting more and more relaxed fit pants. That way, the waist measurement stays the same, despite any increases in my bulk. :D

Keep those button fly 501s away from me, thank you.

Also, you have the ever popular alternative of simply cinching your belt under your gut...

NicePete
10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
6'2", 42" waist and I can assure you that I do not look skinny.

Otto
10-23-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm 6'1" and I have about a 41" waist (40's a little too tight, 42's a bit loose, oh the joy of being between sizes) and I look fat if I'm not dressed. Because almost all of my remaining fat is right at my waist, dammit. I can see the outline of a pretty tight torso under all of that...

But with the right clothes I don't look fat at all. I was in the doctor's office yesterday and got weighed. The nurse couldn't believe I weighed over 200 lbs.

I also got rejected by a chubby chaser because I looked too skinny...

handy
10-23-2003, 10:26 AM
"I just had a friend tell me i look skinny, which makes no sense to me."

Maybe you could ask them why they think you look skinny?

Wesley Clark
10-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by handy
"I just had a friend tell me i look skinny, which makes no sense to me."

Maybe you could ask them why they think you look skinny?

i already know but didn't include it in the OP because i didnt think it was pertinent. I have a large ribcage and when i am lying on my back my thorax is roughly 13" thick (front to back) but my waist is only about 7" thick, giving the illusion of a small waist by comparison between the 2.

Otto
10-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh, so it's one of those type of "friends," is it? Maybe it was just shameless flattery.

Rhum Runner
10-23-2003, 09:32 PM
6'5", 34" waist. Not fat.

syncrolecyne
10-23-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm 6'3", and depending on the 'fit' of the pants, 38"-40".

I am over 200 pounds too.

I am medically speaking about 20 lbs, overweight - but I see so many really heavy people where I live, I don't have a self-image of being overweight, just "normal". If I lived in one of those cities where a "big breakfast" means a double latte and cigarette (and not a chicken fried steak, two eggs, biscuits and gravy, and hash browns), I'd probably be a major lardass.

Shepherdless
10-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Wearing larger sizes can make you look smaller. I wore 34" for years, then started to gain weight as I tried to quit smoking. It showed and I finally decided to move on to 36" and was asked by my GF and mother whether I had lost weight. Nope. Just the pants. Wide legged pants, as opposed to tapered, will also make you look "slimmer".

It depends on your body shape as well. If you have skinny legs but a big gut you'll look fat; OTOH if you have big thighs and large waist the gut won't show as much.

But, truth be told, 42" is beyond "skinny", no matter what. But you can still be considered "athletic" if well-proportioned.

Fang
10-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Just scratch out the size on your jeans and write in "31".

brainfizz
10-24-2003, 05:20 AM
I'm 6'2" and a 28" waist and I'm not skinny, so I don't see how you could be.

Gorgon Heap
10-24-2003, 07:24 AM
After my spine surgery, I put on a awful lot of weight, but it doesn't look so bad because I used to be painfully skinny. I've been working hard for months to burn off this belly I've got because I have to suck it in to put on my pants - all 34s. Besides my belly I'm in great shape, though. I am incapable of sit-ups and running and such, so I'm limited on how much work I can really do to stay fit.

And it makes me uncomfortable that at 5'10", I'm the shortest person to actually post his height in this thread.

Shepherdless
10-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Gorgon Heap, I'm 5'10" too, if that's any comfort. And today I decided to wear old 34" jeans, and I'm in much pain. In due course the constriction will numb my lower body then everything will be fine.

green_bladder
10-24-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm 5'11" and have a 32 inch-waist, same size waist as former NBA star David Robinson, who's 7'1".

bump
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
I agree with the guys who say "it's variable". My brother's somewhere right around 200 lbs, and 6'1" and wears a 36" waist. He doesn't look "skinny" like a heroin fiend or anything, but nobody's going to call him tubby either.

I'm the exact same height as my brother, and 2 years ago(pre grad-school) I weighed 230, and could actually wear 35" pants when I coudl find them. I looked like a more muscled up version of my brother- 44" chest, 35" waist.

Now I'm more tubby- 38" waist, 46" chest, but I keep getting told I don't look fat, even though I think I do.

Who knows. Some women like big guys, believe it or not. I had a girl tell me when I was 230 that I was too skinny- she likes more burly/husky guys than I was. Another girl told me that I'm just right where I'm at- kinda big and husky, but not all in my gut.

kunilou
10-24-2003, 04:12 PM
This one is simple, and it has a "real" answer.

Go look at a suit. Suit manufacturers have gotten together and decided what is a "normal" waistline.

Grab the jacket. Have a 42" chest? You'll probably find they're attached to pants with a 36"-38".

Exceptionally broad shoulders? Go to the suits marked "athletic." The pants will have a waist probably 2"4-4" smaller than the regular sizes.

Me? I'm into the "portly" rack now.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
10-24-2003, 06:55 PM
5'9", 150#, 31-32 waist checking in here. Compared to everyone I know in similar circumstances, I'm positively svelte, but just among us friends I'm conscious of modest little bulge at waist level, and I don't like it.

One thing we slender guys have to watch out for, as we get older, is that we don't get that pot belly, because we can't get away with it the way bigger-boned guys can.

Voyager
10-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by brainfizz
I'm 6'2" and a 28" waist and I'm not skinny, so I don't see how you could be.

I'm 6'2" and a 34. I'm not skinny, but I was when I was a 32. I can't imagine you're not skinny at 28 - I don't even see any pants that small!

SunTzu2U
10-25-2003, 02:40 AM
I have to get the athletic cut on my suits. The soloflex I bought several years ago definately made a difference. I went from a 40" chest to a 48" chest and my neck size went from 16.5" to 19" all because I focused on upper body exercises. The butterfly attachment with the soloflex really broadend my shoulders.

I used to work out with free weights when I played sports but never got these results. I think it might have to do with the number of reps I was doing plus the fact it is hard to do butterflies with free weights.

I also run 3 miles a day and in a normal day will walk several miles also but I'm still holding a 40" waist and haven't lost much weight. I'm 6'1" BTW 235lbs.

BB6H22LUDE4
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm 6'4" at 250lbs and have a waist between 44" & 46"
People says that big boned is just a myth. What do members think? Big boned is real and do you think im fat. Technically i'm obese. If i were at 200lbs i would be at the right bmi. but me at 200lbs would be weird. let me know what you members think.

Jaledin
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Don't know what my waist size in inches is. I wear 36 pants, but I'm 6'3" and weigh between 220 and 240. Definitely not 36" waist, but that's the pants size. I'm not skinny, but I have broad shoulders. Prominent "beer gut" "love handles" "man tits" (which, actually, are kind of muscular with only a thin layer of fat when I flex) -- basically a tub who can pass for OK with the right clothes (I used to weight 280 four or five years ago).

I think 32-34 to, for a taller man, 36, who is not overly athletic is correctly ascribed to a non-fat build. For shorties or runts, maybe they get into sub-32 range, but that's their tale to tell, not mine.

RickJay
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
im just wondering for my own curiosity. i dont see how someone could consider me thin with a 42" waist. i am 6'0".
No offense, but yeah, that's pretty big. I'm 6'2" and when I had a 42-inch waist I was morbidly obese, by a wide margin, and looked gross.

I've lost a lot of weight and now wear 36" pants, and I still need to lose 20 pounds.

Jasper Kent
03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't pay much attention to this stuff unless I find myself having to buy new pants.
FWIW, I'm 6'1" and wear a 32" waist. Same size for 30 years now.

Sicks Ate
03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
6'8" and I wear a 34" waist. Have been up to 40", and even then I was told I was skinny.

I do wonder something about many men who say "I wear X waist" or "I wear X waist and there's no way I'm skinny." I see tons of dudes who wear their jeans basically around their hips, with a big ol' gut sticking over the top. The size pants they wear are actually probably 10" smaller than their honest 'waist' size.

ultrafilter
03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
For those who didn't notice, this is a nearly decade-old zombie.

drewtwo99
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Back in 2003, when this thread was started, I was wearing size 32'' or 33'' pants.

Now in 2012 I am proud to say that I just went to buy 3 new pairs of jeans, and 32'' fit me just right.

I am 6 feet, just under 180 pounds I think. I am on the verge of being considered overweight, at those specs, I think.

41'' is obese, no matter how tall you are, I'm pretty sure.

Pyper
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
The conclusion I draw from this thread is that talking about your waist size may lead to being banned.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: average casket weight goodies movies grav3yardgirl ugly sex menstrual cup animal control gloves princess leia pronunciation native americans smoking dremel vs router winnie ther pooh milliput walmart little willie poems amy poehler belly button how young can a girl have intercourse can bounty hunters carry guns forging a signature without permission see through scratch off is ron white an alcoholic how to pass time while in jail oh no she didnt change timestamp on email is dayton ohio a good place to live it's much too late for goodbyes backward k in baseball india golf niner niner should chardonnay be chilled