PDA

View Full Version : Italian Nickname "Bag of Doughnuts"

astorian
04-30-2000, 04:39 PM
My wife and I were watching a rerun of the movie "My COusin Vinny," and one character refers to Joe Pesci as "Vinny Bag of Doughnuts!" My wife asked me what that nickname meant, and, well...

I was born and raised in a largely Italian neighborhood in New York, so I've heard this expression lots of times- friends referring to their Uncle or cousin "Joey Bag of Doughnuts" or "Paulie Bag of Doughnuts," so I understood it as some kind of affectionate/mocking nickname. But I never really understood where it came from or what it meant.

So, any Italian Dopers know exactly what the phrase means, or where it came from?

WallyM7
04-30-2000, 04:55 PM
I think it comes from the Italian expression "Manjecake" which means cake eater. It suggests a person who is a bit of a wimp.

Johnny Angel
04-30-2000, 05:47 PM
I've always understood the term "Joe Bag-o-doughnuts" to mean "some guy" or "any guy."

Agentakbar
04-30-2000, 07:18 PM
I'm with Johnny Angel-that's how I've always understood the term, as a reference to the average Joe Anybody.
Oh, and Wally, not to be a nitpick, but it's Mangia-cake. No j in Italian. :) Sorry-

Bri

Alphagene
04-30-2000, 10:35 PM
I think it's one of those second or third generation Italian-American things that really has no meaning. It's just a nonsense name that has the meter of an Italian guy's name. Think of it as a paisan's Joe Blow.

My dad used to use that fake name when telling me bedtime stories, along with Rudy Arugula and Vinny Boombatz.

Best Topics: coffee honey dr doom armor henry fraud split-tail navy toasts clr ingredients doll boxx bargain jewelery phone pranks jokes medieval setting bumpah stickah canon 20d charger confusing license plates 1x hpus 7 my death space golden corral 1.99 mink vs fisher bruce tinsley dune mentat nicole song original miles tiki torches fuel mercury retrograde bullshit stargate nude tryhard meaning freeze popcorn pearl harbor sucks love msg bruised ovary games with slime popeye theme song king james bible font do water and alcohol mix deus ex human revolution endings explained how strong is a klingon ezekiel 23:20 meaning be kind to everyone for they are fighting a battle the devil wants my soul how to insert a signature into a pdf iny meany my nemo vein under armpit protruding does a widow's peak mean baldness gloss radiator non white total (breakfast cereal) if my airbag deployed car totaled cd won't eject from car stereo mass lottery code tyh 22 damage to human hydrogen peroxide and water reaction how much to tune piano witcher 2 how to riposte knob creek or makers mark citing sir gawain and the green knight how do i turn the ringer on on my iphone vicuna blanket for sale do you wear underwear under swim trunks what does exception mean ups michael t weiss gay smelling poop all the time what does throw the houlihan mean j&b scotch drinks tape measure markings 19 3 16 the night the lights went out in georgia meaning smart car roadster usa australian hat with corks after market brake rotors