PDA

View Full Version : Where on Earth is Rhura Penthe?

Ficer67
12-26-2003, 07:02 PM
In the movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Captain Nemo mentions that he is a survivor of the slave camp island called Rhura Penthe. Has this island ever existed? And, if so, then where?

Also, trekkies beware, I already know that the name was used again in one of the Star Trek Movies.

hansolo
12-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Rhura Penthe was the mine in underdiscovered country where jim and bones got sent to with the shape shifting woman correct?

DrFidelius
12-26-2003, 10:41 PM
I believe it was invented for the Disney movie, as Nemo only gave hints as to his background in the novel.

He seems to have been an Indian prince fighting against the British invasion and domination of his country.

Ficer67
12-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks hansolo, go freeze yourself in carbonite.

Tripler
12-27-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Ficer67
Thanks hansolo, go freeze yourself in carbonite.

Pretty harsh on the newbies. . . :dubious:

In any case, I once understood it was on the floor of the Pacific, near the Marianas Trench. But, that was heresay.

I can't say it exists beyond the Jules Verne or Gene Roddenberry mentions, but I couldasworn I heard it somewhere else. . .

Tripler
I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. . .

Ficer67
12-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Perhaps you are right, Tripler, perhaps I am being too harsh on hansolo. I thought I made it clear, however, that I am interested in the real location of Rura Penthe, and not whatever Gene Roddenberry, or William Shatner concocted for thier movie.

elucidator
12-28-2003, 10:07 AM
It's one of those places that, no matter where you are, its somewhere else.

Tripler
12-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by elucidator
. . .no matter where you are, its somewhere else.

Sounds like the perfect plotline for Tripler and his Car Keys. :mad:

Tripler
Dangit! I wanna go out for breakfast! :mad:

Derleth
12-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by elucidator
It's one of those places that, no matter where you are, its somewhere else. Wherever you go, there it ain't.

:D

Pushkin
12-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Tripler
In any case, I once understood it was on the floor of the Pacific, near the Marianas Trench. But, that was heresay.

I can't say it exists beyond the Jules Verne or Gene Roddenberry mentions, but I couldasworn I heard it somewhere else. . .

Well the Klingons were a sort of take on Communist Russia, so I assumed it was meant to be a take on the Russian concentration camps hence the full name the Gulag Rhura Penthe. Is there anywhere in Russia with a name like that?

Broomstick
12-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DrFidelius
I believe it was invented for the Disney movie, as Nemo only gave hints as to his background in the novel.

He seems to have been an Indian prince fighting against the British invasion and domination of his country.Captain Nemo makes another appearance in a Jules Verne novel, The Mysterious Island, including more details on his past - that novel does not have Nemo as a main character, and is not as popular or widely known as 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea.

DrFidelius
12-28-2003, 06:55 PM
I don't recognize the The Mysterious Island as a legitimate work giving information about Captain Nemo. The date discrepancies between that potboiler and Professor Aronnax's comprehensively annotated journals are enough to throw doubt on the events and conversations in that novel.

Ficer67
12-29-2003, 02:04 AM
Well, those were good suggestions, "Gulag Rura Penthe," "The Mysterious Island," Marians Trench and all, but there is still no terrestrial reference to Rura Penthe, hence I am siding with DrFidelius and concluding that the name was made up for one of the many slave mines which produced Nitrites and Phosphates for the manufacture of explosives at the time.

Thanks guys for your suggestions

HPL
12-29-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by DrFidelius
I don't recognize the The Mysterious Island as a legitimate work giving information about Captain Nemo. The date discrepancies between that potboiler and Professor Aronnax's comprehensively annotated journals are enough to throw doubt on the events and conversations in that novel.

Makes me wonder how Verne missed something as simple as the inherent problems with the timetables.

Broomstick
12-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Well, most of the folks in The Mysterious Island were from the US - you know those colonials, very clever with their hands but nowhere near the intellectual status of someone from the Continent, particuarly such a refined country as France.

Best Topics: lab mix terrier midas brake jobs apposable thumb organ cooler gyrocopter deaths bleach and.ammonia phase quadrature frog smoking listerine peroxide mouthwash geico government employees pubescent vagina gm gram ayds candy hitler public speaker fans with ionizer dubuque hot dogs debra paget 2012 toenail removed store cheesecake aluminum foil windows time sensitive materials ledbetter family define opposable dental team names raccoons trash cans religion without deity retracting bids ebay doctor associates subway foodhold usa recall bicks hamburger relish zipperhead shot what does j mean? what does sloth taste like driving with two feet illegal what are the puffy pants called how much does a private investigator cost in california renting a room on craigslist martin lawrence on snl can you use amazon prime trial more than once removing mice from car package received by carrier amazon is it okay to wear a scarf in the summer shower curtain without liner weight loss challenge name can you cut nicotine patches in half liam bourke qvc facebook black algae in faucet 6-1x0+2 divided by 2 if the airbags deploy on a car is it totalled how old to get a prepaid credit card can you use duct tape instead of electrical tape carlo rossi blush wine reviews best place to preorder games difference between national league and american league air force before or after college removing cigarette smoke from walls hold my dick while i pee modern family character names what does green goddess dressing taste like my wife likes me to watch in heaven the police are british why can't jedi have families splinter in finger swollen barnes and noble pre order pickup in store can you remove your own stitches should i use distilled water in my iron is it illegal to send poop in the mail