PDA

View Full Version : What does "fight the good fight" mean?

Jimmy Joe Meager
12-29-2003, 07:16 PM
What is the vernacular meaning of “fight the good fight”?

I’ve Googled and found that it’s a snippet of a Bible quote, and at least one Christian group is selling T-shirts & merchandise with this slogan.

However, I’ve heard it used several times without a distinct Christian tie-in. One specific example would be the lyrics to the Lucy Kaplansky tune My Name Joe (Google on: lucy kaplansky my name joe lyrics).

So… what’s the meaning of “fight the good fight”? Or “that person fights the good fight”? Is it a distinctly religious reference? Does it mean “standing up for what is right”? (For example: did the Allies “fight the good fight” against Hitler?)

Thanks.

slipster
12-29-2003, 07:27 PM
My understanding has always been that it means roughly the same thing as "run to win"; that is, to make a sincere and valid effort, to try hard. There is the added connotation that the sustained and strenuous effort one is making is on behalf of a just cause.

dakravel
12-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, that's always what I figured. Fight the fight that is for a good cause.

Reeder
12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
It means fight for what you believe in.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: penthouse pee kangaroo walk backwards stupid mechanic domesticated crows is cartilage edible mash winchester pigeon vs pidgeon memory alpha masks ugly polo shirts huge bed room polycarbonate lenses cleaning greatschool com inositol cut king kong songs bad thermocouple was mister ed a zebra what does cf mean in text switching from adderall to ritalin how to clean slides before scanning them how to remove anti theft tags taking two types of birth control at once where can you buy boric acid best time to drive through chicago how long does gas take to evaporate i go by many names teaching high school with a phd i love her but she loves him what does cresting river mean