PDA

View Full Version : Guys: do you consider arm hair on girls a dealbreaker?

Colinmarshall
01-12-2004, 05:29 PM
I've had enough arguments with friends about this to feel that it's time to turn to the SDMB. Every so often, I'll see a girl who, on cursory inspection, seems to be quite attractive. However, I'll then notice that she has an unacceptable amount of arm hair and all interest will wane--dropping, in many cases, into the negative column. Some people think this is a shallow, indefensible way of thinking and I won't claim that it isn't, but I was wondering if any of the men out there share the same vehemently anti-armhair preferences.

If so, have you encountered any accusations of being a bastard? ^_^

Khadaji
01-12-2004, 05:44 PM
I've had enough arguments with friends about this to feel that it's time to turn to the SDMB. Every so often, I'll see a girl who, on cursory inspection, seems to be quite attractive. However, I'll then notice that she has an unacceptable amount of arm hair and all interest will wane--dropping, in many cases, into the negative column. Some people think this is a shallow, indefensible way of thinking and I won't claim that it isn't, but I was wondering if any of the men out there share the same vehemently anti-armhair preferences.

If so, have you encountered any accusations of being a bastard? ^_^ Doesn't bother me, I don't even notice.

GorillaMan
01-12-2004, 06:19 PM
I kind of like it, actually.

Guess that makes me weird. :eek:

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
01-12-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm a girl. I have those micro blonde hairs on my arms. Big freaking deal.

Now, what is really unattractive is arm hair stubble, on girls who usually shave their arms.

Sunspace
01-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Definitely not a dealbreaker. One of tme most attractive women I've ever met was Indian and had fine dark hair on the brown skin of her arms. :)

Doomtrain
01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Arm hair? Not unless it reaches Sasquatch levels.

Lisa-go-Blind
01-12-2004, 09:47 PM
I kind of like it, actually.

Guess that makes me weird. :eek:

Well, you are called GorillaMan. :D

I'm a girl, too, and I agree with MIIM. At least hair is soft. Stubble is nasty.

SanguineSpider
01-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Female with arm hair. My SO doesn't even notice, I've never, EVER had any problems with getting boyfriends, even married one of them (our break-up was NOT caused by me having arm hair, it was because he's a goatbutt-sucking, drunken asshole). No guy has ever said anything about my arm hair but I often get comments about my lips... :D

My ex-husband had a thing about HIS own arm hair. And his leg hair. He'd shave his arms and legs. I thought he was weird for that and yeah, stubble doesn't feel good at all.

Ringo
01-13-2004, 12:37 AM
No, it's not a significant thing for me.

Some people think this is a shallow, indefensible way of thinking and I won't claim that it isn't...

No, it's not shallow. There's no accounting for taste, and the parameters that affect physical attraction vary incredibly. And turn-offs are as much a part of it as turn-ons. Some guys are attracted to BBW, for others that's a turn-off. Some guys like long legs, some guys (like me) fall into the eyes, apparently (I'm not there) some guys fixate on large breasts - shoot, turn of the ankle, contour of the hip..., some guys fall for the friendly smile - some guys like guys(!) - there are too many factors to enumerate. But I hardly think it shallow to respond to what you're naturally physically attracted to or put off by.

Call me Frank
01-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Eh, I know a rather attractive girl who has visible arm hair....doesn't diminish her attractiveness in my eyes... but I don't think you're a horrible person if that bothers you. Everyone has their little peculiarities about who they find attractive, and I think that that's largely beyond a person's control...

Toddly
01-13-2004, 12:39 AM
I have been looking at women for over 35 years and arm hair has never even entered into my mind concerning attractiveness. Defintely not a dealbreaker.

E. Thorp
01-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Now, what is really unattractive is arm hair stubble, on girls who usually shave their arms.There are girls who shave their arms? I am so out of it.

Anyway, I like hair on, among other places, arms.

Yookeroo
01-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Not unless she can braid it. And I suppose that even that would have some sort of novelty value.

Horseflesh
01-13-2004, 12:50 AM
I have yet to meet a woman with enough hair on her arms to turn me off. Arm stubble? Never encountered it. I've met some women with fairly dark hair on fair skin and never had a problem with it.

Okay, 3 inch hairs growing out of a giant mole on her face and coarse enough to pop balloons? Yes, I have seen my limit.

Homebrew
01-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Just to give you a different perspective. As a gay guy, forearm hair is a big plus to me. I don't like it when guys wax their arm and chest hair.

js_africanus
01-13-2004, 01:55 PM
...she has an unacceptable amount of arm hair....That doesn't really narrow it down. Would you reject the average Sicilian-American? Does it matter what color it is? Give us more to work with.

cowgirl
01-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I have hair on my arms. Once I was a councillor at a day camp with this Italian guy called Dan, and one of the kids told me my arms were even hairer than his ... heh, heh.

And no, Colin, I don't think you're a bastard - I just won't go out with you, how's that?

DaToad
01-13-2004, 02:20 PM
It wasn't the hair on her arms that put me off, it was the hair on her chest and back. :D

Arm hair is no biggie for me.

Kizarvexius
01-13-2004, 02:35 PM
As long as her arms aren't hairier than mine, I don't have a problem. Of course, I've yet to meet a single woman with arms hairier than mine.

Titan2
01-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Guys: do you consider arm hair on girls a dealbreaker?

Only if her arms are bigger than mine.Or it's her armpit hair that's covering her arms :eek:

ruadh
01-13-2004, 03:50 PM
There are girls who shave their arms? I am so out of it.

I didn't know that either. But, I'm willing to bet that within ten years it will be the norm ... and a similar thread like this will draw 90% of male respondents saying "Arm hair on girls? YECCCCCCH!"

iamthewalrus(:3=
01-13-2004, 04:04 PM
As long as her arms aren't hairier than mine, I don't have a problem. Of course, I've yet to meet a single woman with arms hairier than mine.
Only married women?

Paranoid Randroid
01-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Hmm. I don't mind a little hair, especially if it's blonde. But I'm afraid I find visible dark hair quite unattractive on a woman. Like the OP, there've been times where I've found a woman quite pleasant to look at, until I notice that she's got arm hair. Then the whole thing just breaks for me.

(My girlfriend is pretty hair-phobic. She doesn't shave her arms, but she doesn't need to, and I'm betting she would anyway if she thought she could get away with it. Heh.)

Obsidian
01-13-2004, 05:14 PM
There are girls who shave their arms? I am so out of it.

Anyway, I like hair on, among other places, arms.

When I was a competition swimmer, we used to shave everything not covered by a suit before a big meet. (This was usually much more of an ordeal for the men than the woman). Prior to the shaving party, of course, us girls let everything grow. We used to have debates about whether it was entirely psycological, or if the hair actually made a difference in our times. But we did it, season after season, during taper for states/regionals.

It took years before the hair on my arms was soft and normal again.

PS- Not to be rude, but is this an ethnic/cultural thing? I'm Sicilian. Arm hair is normal, we've all got dark coloring and the men in my family are prone to shit like knuckle hair. I personally happen to prefer men with a nice amount of chest hair/arm hair/leg hair. I note that I tend to date men of eastern & southern european descent. No one has ever complained about my arm hair, but I'm self-concious about it around some of my irish/anglo pale & hairless friends.

raz
01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm a girl with an average ammount of arm hair. I've seen a few girls with VERY hairy arms before. Not like dark black hair or anything, but just a lot of it. I always thought it looked kinda weird. I also remember reading somewhere that anorexics sometimes grow more hair because of the lack of body fat, and one of the above mentioned girls was QUITE skinny...

By the way, I think arm hair is sexy on guys for some reason :D.

Arcite
01-13-2004, 07:21 PM
It used to be that I would have said no.

It also used to be that I considered Alyssa Milano attractive.

Then I saw this (http://bakermedia.com/gallery/data/588/128112003_alyssaen_jennifer1.jpg).

tomndebb
01-13-2004, 11:20 PM
I've had enough arguments with friends about this to feel that it's time to turn to the SDMB. . . .
Some people think this is a shallow, indefensible way of thinking and I won't claim that it isn't, but I was wondering if any of the men out there share the same vehemently anti-armhair preferences.

If so, have you encountered any accusations of being a bastard?I have known several women with very dark, soft arm hair whom I have found very attractive.

I don't think that finding any specific feature off-putting is shallow, at all. One's likes or dislikes are often shaped by many different (often unconscious) experiences and no one should be held to account for those preferences.

On the other hand, I've never had an argument about my preferences (and I certainly haven't been called a bastard for any feature that I found off-putting), because I'm bright enough to not make a point of dismissing or denigrating a feature that someone else likes--or which may even be a feature on someone they love.

YMMV ;)

Ringo
01-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Good point, tom. It's fine to tell 'em why you like 'em. Very bad form to articulate to anyone why you don't.

Who_me?
01-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Arm hair? No problem.

A lot of arm hair? I'll buy her a brush, still no problem.

JustPlainBryan
01-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Arcite

Then I saw this (http://bakermedia.com/gallery/data/588/128112003_alyssaen_jennifer1.jpg).

Meh. I still find her unbelievably attractive. I don't have a problem with arm hair at all.

Larry Mudd
01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Dealbreaker? What the..?

No.

UselessGit
01-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Like someone said: Smooth hair is better than ...whaddayacall it.. stubs?

If I meet a woman with fur-like, dark hair on her forearms I might reconsider, though.

I've never found miss Milano particularly attractive, rather plain really, but her forearm on that picture really really looks like a man's. Photoshop?

The point is not that I find her attractive with the man's arm either, though...

AHunter3
01-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Arms: not a problem

Legs: not a problem

Facial Hair: not always a problem. I had a dark-complexioned Hispanic coworker of the type of beautiful that causes guys to walk headlong into streetlight poles for staring at her instead of watching where they're going, and she had soft thin downy black hairs on her upper lip. In her case most definitely not a problem.

Breast Hair: probably a problem. Doesn't sound appetizing at any rate.

Hair Down There: absence of it would be a problem.

SirRay
01-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Well, I never used to think about arm hair on women, until a decade ago when I went to a Roy Rogers in Manhattan (there were several back then), and saw a otherwise nice woman working the counter with extremely hairy arms, very much like a man's (and worse than that Milano serving food picture linked to earlier in this thread). Since then, I've often notice how hairy a woman's arm is, and pretty much learned that many women are just darn hairy - if they have more noticeble arm hair than me (I'm not particularly arm-hairy, I guess), then I'm kinda discouraged...

Facial hair, meaning (noticable) mustache or chin hair, is an immediate NO - Sorry, but I associate that with men (or very, very eldery women - either way complete turn-off.)

I do make an effort to keep my extraneous hair* to a minimum, so should she...

*By this I mean nose hair for me, which is rather gross in any gender

whiterabbit
01-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm somewhat hairy, but I'm not messing with my arm hair. If I did, it'd grow back all bristly and nearly black like my leg hair does. And the last thing I want to deal with is arm stubble. Ick. It's bleached out a good bit, and if somebody didn't want to date me because of my ARM HAIR, fine by me. Bye!

Face it, guys, women have hair in all the same places you do. Except not nearly as much facial hair.

Agent Foxtrot
01-15-2004, 11:02 AM
If I find out a girl shaves her arms, her chances with me will lower significantly.

I actually find forearm hair attractive.

- Adam

Kalhoun
01-15-2004, 11:19 AM
I saw a checkout girl who had 3-4 in. blonde hair on her arms. It was a bit disarming, but I certainly wouldn't call it hideous.

don't ask
01-15-2004, 11:28 AM
The trick with these things is to ignore what you don't like. It's like the old "Don't think of the word hippopotamus" trick. The only way to forget about it is to think about something else. Every woman I ever known has had at least one really cool physical feature to concentrate on - eyes, hair, skin, legs, hands, feet..... anything.

But there is nothing you can do if it really puts you off - some people can't eat liver.

Michael Ellis
01-16-2004, 12:32 AM

Gah! She stole my dad's forearm!

conczepts
01-16-2004, 08:12 AM
That picture is obviously photoshopped. The Bicep is too big compared to her shoulders, she looks like popeye. That's a guy's arm, just under the shoulder it stops being Alyssa. I still don't find her attractive though.

I knew a girl who was really really attractive in the face, but had arms hairier than mine, other guys noticed it too, but pretty much everyone agreed that it would still be worth going out with her.

I have hangups 100x worse than arm-hair.

Lynn Bodoni
01-16-2004, 08:45 AM
My daughter, who has some French and some Sicilian ancestors, is hairier than many other women. She waxes her forearms. I personally think that this looks odder than having a bit of medium brown hair, but apparently this is something of a fad in her circle of friends. She also waxes her legs and face. I don't know if she waxes anything else, nor will I ask her unless I've got a good reason to know.

Her arms and legs are VERY soft and smooth after she waxes them. It's a very sensuous feel, sort of like a baby's skin.

Nutty Bunny
01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Shaver here. I've had a lot of long, dark arm hair my entire life (thanks, Grandma!). I don't understand it. She's English. My dad is Irish. So, I'm obviously very pale, which made the arm hair really noticeable. I just started shaving about 2 months ago. I just lost 100 pounds and now I care about how I look. My newly thin arms made the arm hair even more prominent. But I don't have stubble, because I "freshen it up" every few days. It's really smooth and soft, too.

Weird_AL_Einstein
01-16-2004, 10:00 AM
I've had enough arguments with friends about this to feel that it's time to turn to the SDMB. Every so often, I'll see a girl who, on cursory inspection, seems to be quite attractive. However, I'll then notice that she has an unacceptable amount of arm hair and all interest will wane--dropping, in many cases, into the negative column.

I've had the exact same experience, more than once. If it's thin and sparse and close to her skin complexion I can probably live with it. If it's thick and prominent, no.

Of course the fact that I'm insecure about my own forearm hair may have something to do with it. I've never thought it was thick enough.

Rashak Mani
01-16-2004, 09:51 PM
No Hair under the Arms please !

LouisB
01-16-2004, 10:07 PM
My beautiful darling Marcie has arm hair that she considers too long and unattractive. I never noticed it until she asked if it turned me off. Since nothing about her turns me off, I could honestly say that it didn't. And it doesn't. And if people are so judgemental about physical traits, they will cheat themselves of many worthwhile relationships.

drm
01-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I have trouble finding a girlfriend as it is. I can't very well afford to be turning someone down because of something as silly as arm hair.

Eolbo
01-17-2004, 10:11 AM
I find it unattractive but its certainly not a dealbreaker. If I like a girl it wont bother me.

LifeOnWry
01-17-2004, 10:26 AM
I have a close female friend who has thickets of dark hair on her arms that embarrass her tremendously. I didn't notice, until she pointed it out, but I have since noticed men staring at her arms with expressions of revulsion. She's a beautiful girl with an incredibly pretty smile, so she attracts a lot of looks, and you can see guys check her out, get to her arms and then just get this "lip-curl" and turn away at that point. She waxes now, and while she finds it somewhat painful (due to the amount of hair being removed) there is a noticeable difference in the way guys look at her.

Yes, I think it's sort of shallow, but I also think everyone has their own ideas of what's attractive, and it's no MORE shallow than probably any other preference.

Best Topics: dynabead review bathroom couch i love thunderstorms sofie carnivale coolest flame young frances conroy pronounce solder vsop mean removed toenail cyberpunk wizard computer turbo button 700cx35 tires comfortable earrings detective jeffries battle roster number construed legal definition bulletproofed engine night owl batman ups delay package chocolate and lemon satilite descrambler palin lookalike celebrity movie arcive shave cats bum nutmeg mace mirror tabloid in situ pronunciation furry foxes presoldered fittings drano with snake kendy kloepfer pregnant dark brown vs black hair please include anything else you want to tell us why didnt hitler invade switzerland bath wedge pillow straight-sided bathtub solar powered fan for car window max a/c paypal can't remove card how to clean le creuset grill pan jack and connie consumer cellular do i refrigerate worcestershire sauce can you take too much antihistamines how do you abbreviate pages my boss is stealing money from the company drink in the morning is carbon monoxide flammable how to raise hematocrit level flame thrower snow removal sandra bullock adam's apple what does crack cocaine smell like what does off the reservation mean why are the tops of school buses painted white songs about finding love unexpectedly why does teller the magician not talk section 8 housing complaints rubber feet for bed frame will dvd player play cd why doesn't my toilet flush all the way goldfish released into the wild green cap on tire white men can't jump jeopardy husqvarna lena sewing machine