PDA

View Full Version : Modern Slang Question

Lord Ashtar
03-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Just what does it mean to be feeling "froggy"? I've been hearing people saying this quite a bit lately, but I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

P.S. - I guess this means I am officially getting old, since I don't understand all the newest slang terms. And I'm only 25! :(

Liberal
03-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Frog – term of disgust, used as a name for just about anything or as an adjetive [sic]: “He's Froggy” or “This program is a total Frog.”

http://chrome.genesismuds.com/chromeslang.html

hajario
03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
I recently heard it (used jokingly) as an invitation to fight.

"You want to fight? Are you feeling froggy? Then jump!"

Haj

Ephemera
03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Feeling froggy is hardly new. I've heard it said before in the cultural mecca of souheastern Tennessee. If I'm familiar with the term, it has to be fairly widespread.

Lord Ashtar
03-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Okay then, Aesiron. How do you use it and what do you mean when you use it?

bughunter
03-31-2004, 07:56 PM
I've been using 'froggy' for more'n 20 years. I forget where I picked it up, somewhere in the Southeastern US, but it means 'bold' or 'daring' or 'uppity.'

Someone who is 'feeling froggy' is uncharacteristically prepared to fight, or make some other bold move that is not typical of their behaviour.

But it could have other meanings from other regions... I almost never hear anyone else use it.

Ephemera
03-31-2004, 08:07 PM
I couldn't tell you its meaning.. I use next to no slang in my language and thus don't really know what a lot of it means. From what I understand in context, the meanings given in this thread are right though.

Lord Ashtar
03-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Someone who is 'feeling froggy' is uncharacteristically prepared to fight, or make some other bold move that is not typical of their behaviour.

So if someone says, "If you're feeling froggy, leap!" what they mean is if you want to fight just go ahead and throw the first punch?

I guess that makes sense in the context in which I've heard it. Thanks, all.

Beauty Personified
03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
I have heard it used to describe someone who's hyper, high-strung, etc. I've also heard it used to describe someone with a hoarse throat (i.e. a frog in their throat). However, around here, one should be careful in using it to describe someone who speaks French (even if it's being used in one of the aforementioned senses).

Anyhoo...

E. Thorp
03-31-2004, 11:02 PM
When I say I'm feeling froggy, I mean I'm feeling slightly under the weather...sort of a combination of 'foggy' and 'groggy' and 'frog in my throat'...sore throat, sleepy, etc.

I'm in my 30s and grew up in midwest USA, if that makes any difference linguisticallywise.

Lord Ashtar
03-31-2004, 11:04 PM
...linguisticallywise.

I think you just invented a new word.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: compact fluorescent flicker mild hot sauces mcdonalds coke spoon tag motorcycle quotes about moderation 5lb sugar freeze cheese slices military chevrons va fungul allegra withdrawal wooden actor drink saliva dental implants forum milkshake brings all the guys to the yard meaning best version of axis and allies how to set up a cash register if you have 20 20 vision what is your prescription subtract 7 from 100 family feud all number one answers what to do with old crt computer monitors battery backup power supply sump pump shogun japanese steakhouse fried rice recipe received check from united states treasury how much is it to get a mole removed liquid drano for toilets