PDA

View Full Version : Should I kill my pet snail? :/

kimera
05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
I have a pet water snail named Crouton. Last night after I got home from work I found him on the floor and he was half out of his shell. He was completely unresponsive when I picked him up. I was sure he was dead, but didn't feel like burrying him that night, so I just put him back in his tank. As I did so, a good portion of his shell fell off, almost half. I had read that snails will die after being out of their shell, and although that applied to being out of all of their shell, I figured that having half a shell gone is pretty deadly too.

This morning, when I went to use the bathroom, he was sitting on the edge of the tank!!! He is in pretty bad condition, as he can no longer retreat back into his shell but a good deal of him is exposed. I imagine that it will take months, even years to grow back the missing chunk of his shell is he is so able. I moved him into a large glass so I can monitor him. Right now he is laying on his side and his feelers are moving around.

I was thinking of maybe trying to stick the missing piece back on, but I don't know how I would reattach it or if that would even be a good idea. If he is in pain or is going to die slowly, I would prefer to stick him in a freezer or something to make it as painless as possible.

I am hoping that someone can give me an expert opinion, so I stuck this in general questions. If you think that is in error, please feel free to move it, mods.

RitzyRae
05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Would it be silly to call a couple of vets or even people that sell these kind of snails and ask them what they think?

Sorry about your snail. He sounds neat.

chrisk
05-26-2004, 08:35 AM
I don't have any expert knowledge, but I'm replying to bump the thread up hoping to attract the attention of someone who can help, and to second RR's sentiment about your little guy... he does sound very cool, and I'm sorry about the misfortune that's befallen him.

One vague notion... maybe you could try one of those 'expert advice' sites?? I looked at allexperts dot com, but they don't have any category that would include 'snails' and the few peeps in 'exotic vetrenarian' that suggested they could handle just about any creature were MAXXED OUT and could not be sent any questions at the moment, argh.

If you do happen to get local advice, or simply make a decision on your own, I think we'd like to know. :)

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
05-26-2004, 08:44 AM
This reminds me of an anecdote.
In a biology class, I needed to present a snail preserved, ie. in alcohol. So it had to die.
Now in my region, there weren't really that many snails, but some of my richie friends' moms who are continously watering everything in site found a snail and gave it to them. They brought it on the bus to me. I assumed it was dead already. It was in a hard plastic container, no air holes. So I carry it around all day, go home on the bus, and I am pulling out it's head foot for presentation when it goes straight back into it's shell!
:eek: it was still alive! I felt so bad for putting it through all that banging all day. I think I killed it by a bath of metho.
I say, time will tell. Since snail shells grow in a spiral, so that hole will never heal, or at least that's my understanding of it :confused:

astro
05-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Care of water snails (http://applesnail.net/content/care.php)

Satyricon
05-26-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm glad to hear that there's someone else out there that cares for them lil' critters of nature that most people wouldn't give a second thought to (you're my kinda people :) ).

When my brother's newt was dying it was suggested to him that the freezer was one of the most painless ways to put a small, un-euthanizable animal to sleep. Water-dwelling and/or otherwise cold-blooded creatures can't shiver and instead just become really drowsy from the cold. And it worked for his newt; she just kind of slowed down and closed her eyes. No fear or apparent pain.

Sorry about little Crouton. :(

MysteryFellow63427
05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Just don't pour salt (https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a2_073.html) on the lil guy.

alice_in_wonderland
05-26-2004, 01:17 PM
From astro's link:

If however, a large amount of shell is absent or if there is a real treat for the snail to become eaten alive, once can choose to repair the holes by glueing pieces of snail shell, eggs shells or even pieces of plastic over them. The best glue for this is medical superglue, although common household superglue will do as well, but is toxic until it's dried. In such case (household glue) one needs to make absolutely sure that the glue does not come in contact with the snail tissues.

So - it looks like you can repair your snail. Further, it suggests that in your case it would be a good idea.

It said that if the snail is still active (which I assume feeler waiving indicates) then he's probably ok, and a shell repair would be good for him.

Good luck! :)

Eve
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
. . . If however, a large amount of shell is absent or if there is a real treat for the snail to become eaten alive . . .

I don't think it would be much of a treat for the snail.

How's little Crouton doing?

SlyFrog
05-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Care of water snails (http://applesnail.net/content/care.php)

The best part of that website is how, nestled in with the care and feeding of snails as pets, is the Q&A on how to eat applesnails, along with a recipe.

FisherQueen
05-26-2004, 02:50 PM
I don't know anything about snails, and so I have nothing useful to say.

But I think that Crouton is the best possible name for a snail I can think of.

I hope Crouton survives this ordeal.

RitzyRae
05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Here, here! And I wish I could participate in the shell repair. How cool. I hope it's an option!

Felissa
05-26-2004, 03:18 PM
When my brother's newt was dying it was suggested to him that the freezer was one of the most painless ways to put a small, un-euthanizable animal to sleep. Water-dwelling and/or otherwise cold-blooded creatures can't shiver and instead just become really drowsy from the cold. And it worked for his newt; she just kind of slowed down and closed her eyes. No fear or apparent pain.

From what I've read this is an inhumane way to put down an animal. The thing of it is, they can't function due to the cold temperatures. So while it appears like they just slow down and die, they could in fact be under extreme pain from ice crystals forming inside their bodies. Exploding cells, dragging daggers through their blood. That sort of thing.

I don't know how a newt or a snail's nervous system works. Perhaps it is not complicated enough to feel such pain. But generalizing this to all cold-blooded creatures is a no-no.

"Freezing has been used as a humane method to kill small reptiles under one pound in weight. Although low temperatures do result in a state of torpor, the formation of ice crystals in the tissue is quite painful. Freezing should only be done to anesthetized animals." -cite (http://anapsid.org/euth.html)

"Freezing. Freezing is only acceptable if the amphibian is small (<40 grams), is already anesthetized, and the freezing is immediate (such as immersion into liquid nitrogen). However, refrigerator freezers are too slow and are considered unacceptable. Additionally many arctic, near arctic, and montane species can tolerate freezing for over 48 hours, making this especially ineffective for these species. " - cite (http://caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml)

~Owner of a number of small cold-blooded cuties

Satyricon
05-26-2004, 03:33 PM
From what I've read this is an inhumane way to put down an animal. The thing of it is, they can't function due to the cold temperatures. So while it appears like they just slow down and die, they could in fact be under extreme pain from ice crystals forming inside their bodies. Exploding cells, dragging daggers through their blood. That sort of thing.

I don't know how a newt or a snail's nervous system works. Perhaps it is not complicated enough to feel such pain. But generalizing this to all cold-blooded creatures is a no-no.

"Freezing has been used as a humane method to kill small reptiles under one pound in weight. Although low temperatures do result in a state of torpor, the formation of ice crystals in the tissue is quite painful. Freezing should only be done to anesthetized animals." -cite (http://anapsid.org/euth.html)

"Freezing. Freezing is only acceptable if the amphibian is small (<40 grams), is already anesthetized, and the freezing is immediate (such as immersion into liquid nitrogen). However, refrigerator freezers are too slow and are considered unacceptable. Additionally many arctic, near arctic, and montane species can tolerate freezing for over 48 hours, making this especially ineffective for these species. " - cite (http://caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml)

~Owner of a number of small cold-blooded cuties

I was just relating one experience. It was a vet my brother had called that told him this, so I was just offering the most professional knowledge I'd heard. And it was him that made the final decision, not me. I own 5 anoles and personally I would not do that to them, because I would feel guilty.

Really though, is there any really painless way to put an animal down? It's hard to know what hurts for which animal.

kimera
05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Sorry I have not responded sooner. I had to go to work and then my roomie reformatted the computer.

Petco said that he was probably going to die, Petsmart said he would live. The people on applesnail's forums said that it depended on how bad the break was. If it is towards to edge of the shell, apparently they can survive as long as no other fish or snails can attack them. If it is back near the spiral, then they canít survive. It was way over the spiral and most of his body is now exposed.

I tried to put the piece back on, but I think I inadvertently made it worse since he was moving around last night before I messed with it but this morning he isn't moving at all that I can see. :(

It was also my fault because I didnít have a tank that had a lid completely closed. It looks like he fell and cracked his back on the bathroom floor. His shell was already weakened, I've since learned that Petco is a very bad place to buy snails because they don't take very good care of them. Also, if anyone gets an apple snail as a pet, make sure there isnít a single hole in the top of the tank that he can fit through.

I think he might be already dead, because it smells funny and I havenít seen him move a bit. I am afraid to pick him up though to find out for sure. He also didnít eat any of the cucumber that I put in for him. :(

I am very sad about this whole thing. :(

Thanks for your concern.

alice_in_wonderland
05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
:(

chrisk
05-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Sorry I have not responded sooner. I had to go to work and then my roomie reformatted the computer...

I tried to put the piece back on, but I think I inadvertently made it worse since he was moving around last night before I messed with it but this morning he isn't moving at all that I can see. :( ...

I think he might be already dead... I havenít seen him move a bit. I am afraid to pick him up though to find out for sure. He also didnít eat any of the cucumber that I put in for him. :(

I am very sad about this whole thing. :(

Thanks for your concern.

Aww... Sorry to hear that. I think that all of us were pulling for little Crouton to pull through. :-(

Supportive **hugs** in case you need them.

RitzyRae
05-26-2004, 05:58 PM
This is all very upsetting. :( Just know that you were a kind and loving snail parent.

MovieMogul
05-26-2004, 07:53 PM
We mourn sweet Crouton
But in death he now moves like
Lightning towards Heaven

chrisk
05-26-2004, 08:27 PM
We mourn sweet Crouton
Lightning towards Heaven

That was... that is.... absolutely phenomenal!

:D

Zoe
05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
This place gets to me in the weirdest ways.

Today I let a large ant and a cricket live in Crouton's honor. Both are inside my house somewhere.

I. Will. Not. Name. Them.

Sorry about your critter.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
05-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Gotta say, this has to be one of the most moving threads I've read here. You guys are just so cool. A nice tribute to Crouton (which, of course, is just an awesome name for a snail).

Cisco
05-26-2004, 11:06 PM
This is one of the saddest threads I've ever read here. Are you sure there's no way he's just exhausted or something and not moving much? Please keep us updated.

:(

LorieSmurf
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
We mourn sweet Crouton
Lightning towards Heaven

How sweet. That makes me teary eyed. :: sniff::

SlyFrog
05-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Really though, is there any really painless way to put an animal down? It's hard to know what hurts for which animal.

Bear with me, I'm being serious and not trying to be mean.

For a really small animal, I would think that one good shot with a sledgehammer would do the trick. I mean, the thing would be instantly crushed, and I can't imagine that there would be much time for pain or much left to feel pain.

I understand that the symbolism might be a problem, but I think it would be a fast and relatively painless way to go.

FX45 4Ever
05-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Bear with me, I'm being serious and not trying to be mean.

For a really small animal, I would think that one good shot with a sledgehammer would do the trick. I mean, the thing would be instantly crushed, and I can't imagine that there would be much time for pain or much left to feel pain.

I understand that the symbolism might be a problem, but I think it would be a fast and relatively painless way to go.

Sly, I was thinking the same thing, but the imagery of Gallagher's watermelon smash kept slipping into my mind, and I hear these sails are not tiny. I don't want to even imagine the geewy spew which could be splattered from a squishy snail.

John Kentzel-Griffin
05-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Here's hoping Crouton has a speedy (if that's the right word) recovery.

FriarTed
05-27-2004, 08:39 PM
If Crouton is still living but not well & you are still interested in a merciful end-

set a dish of beer before him. That's a common garden remedy for snails. They come to drink it up & die there- I assume happily drunk.

liirogue
05-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Crouton - that has got to be the best pet name ever, but especially for a snail.

How big is he?

Kings_Gambit1
05-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Poor Crouton. He will be remembered.

Apple Snails (http://applesnail.net/content/care.php) look really cool! I think I am going to go out and get one!

Get ready Dorthy and Dithy. A new housemate is moving in. ;)

Small Clanger
05-28-2004, 09:55 AM
If poor little Crouton is no longer with us :( are you going to replace him? (after a suitable period of mourning) And what will you call his replacement, it'd be hard to top Crouton

Best Topics: vamos a chingar walgreens scanning photos the pit tickle wrestling ccleaner updates squirrel flinger macho movie pleasantville ending explanation tolling service riding a chopper source watch comfortmaker air conditioner pawn golf clubs non clumping kitty litter electric stove temperature chart stainless steel washing machine hoses platform bed slats keep falling does freezing food kill bacteria psalm 23 rod and staff how to take percocet to get high why do hawks screech 5 pence in usd phi theta kappa letter of recommendation cook rice without heat