PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Choose Theme Music For My Upcoming Skydive!

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 07:13 AM
I am having a video made and the guy that's putting it together for me (he's diving too), says I can bring my own music.

I had tentatively chosen The Ramone's "Blitzkrieg Bop", but I wanted to see what y'all could come up with that might be better.

Here are some parameters:

1. Vocals aren't necessarily important
2. I am partial to Surf Guitar with drum solos
(if you've seen Hotwire.com's "Cheap Commercial", that's what I'm after)
3. It's gotta ROCK! (and it's gotta make me wanna leave the plane as I'm "playing it in my head".)
4. I'm 54.

If I choose your suggestion, I will immortalize you in the thread after my successful landing, link you to my photo page with caption of song title and your nickname, and next time I head to Germany, I'll bring you back a beer and send it to you. :cool:

Thanks

Q

Starguard
05-27-2004, 07:18 AM
How about "Heaven here I come" :D

Typo Negative
05-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Helter Skelter

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
05-27-2004, 07:29 AM
The Theme From "Shaft".

The Theme From S.W.A.T..

The Theme From Superman: The Movie.

Johnny L.A.
05-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Mockingbird Girl - Magnificent Bastards, from the Tank Girl soundtrack.

Hey, hey, Rocket Boy!
Got a lot of life behind you...

YoudNeverGuess
05-27-2004, 07:39 AM
How about 'Beautiful Day' or 'Elevation' by U2?

misstee
05-27-2004, 07:41 AM
4. I'm 54.

WOW, I would have never guessed.

YoudNeverGuess
05-27-2004, 07:42 AM
or Lenny Kravitz's song - not sure of name - could be 'Fly Away'

you know the one

'I wish that I could fly into the sky so very high just like a dragon fly' etc......

YoudNeverGuess
05-27-2004, 07:43 AM
or is it Lenny Kravitz - oh I don't know. I'll stop posting now :o

Ethilrist
4. I'm 54.

"I can't drive 55..."

Or the James Bond theme.

Jervoise
Tom Petty, "Free Falling".

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm. Some interesting choices. I'm gonna make a list and take it with me to Barnes and Noble or one of the other stores where I can listen to the cd's that have your tracks on them.

Quasi is grateful that none of you have suggested The Surfaris' Wipe Out! (I thought about that after writing that first post!) :smack:

Keep 'em coming!

VunderBob
05-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Fanfare for the Common Man

Johnny L.A.
05-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Quasi is grateful that none of you have suggested The Surfaris' Wipe Out!
Okay. How about Pipeline by Dick Dale? :D

VunderBob
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
What's the difference between a bad golfer and an unlucky skydiver?

- A bad golfer goes "Whack. Damn!". An unlucky skydiver goes, "Damn! Whack."

ioioio
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Jump by Van Halen
Jump by the Pointer Sisters
Learning' to Fly by Tom Petty

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Fanfare for the Common Man

Dude! Reading your post just gave me goose pimples all over my body! I know that tune by Emerson Lake and Palmer! I don't know if I'd choose their version or Copeland's. What do you think?

I think I have Pipeline too, John, thanks!

Everytime I think of making that jump, I get an adrenaline rush already and it's still over two weeks away. Man, I'm gonna be a gibbering idiot the day of the flight! ;)

Q

mrklutz
05-27-2004, 09:19 AM
You know, the Canadian Brass does a really fun version of Flight of the Bumblebee -- on a tuba!

In a classic rock vein, you could always go with Never Been Any Reason by Head East ("...Save my life I'm going down for the last time").

It doesn't exactly rock, but Waffle Stomp by Joe Walsh has a rather fitting verse:

Well you can jump off a roof,
Pretend you can fly,
Maybe you'll bounce,
Maybe you'll die,
Maybe you'll splat,
Keep flapping until you do.

Or how about James Brown's Gravity?

silenus
05-27-2004, 09:19 AM
"High Speed Dirt" by Megadeath

'See the earth below/Soon to make a crater/Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker' (Thank you, Skippy!)

Or is that not what you are looking for? :D

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
05-27-2004, 09:22 AM
One of the James Bond Soundtracks must have something....

MovieMogul
05-27-2004, 09:25 AM
When I did my jump, I used the music they had available, so we started with Aerosmith's Walk This Way (from the prep and the ascent to the point I step out) and then that song Fly by...? "All around the world, statues crumble for me."

Best bachelor party (my own) I've been to.

Skelji
05-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Jump by the Pointer Sisters
Man, if I heard that, I'd run out of the plane without a parachute. :D

Choose carefully, Quasi. The first time I bungee jumped, I climbed hundreds of steps to the top of the platform. The attendant up there had a radio which happened to be playing Stairway To Heaven when I arrived.

How 'bout the Pulp Fiction theme?

VunderBob
05-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Dude! Reading your post just gave me goose pimples all over my body! I know that tune by Emerson Lake and Palmer! I don't know if I'd choose their version or Copeland's. What do you think?

I think I have Pipeline too, John, thanks!

Everytime I think of making that jump, I get an adrenaline rush already and it's still over two weeks away. Man, I'm gonna be a gibbering idiot the day of the flight! ;)

Q

ELP is the only version I know :cool:

detop
05-27-2004, 09:32 AM
How about Blood on the risers (http://home.nc.rr.com/strick/blood.html) ? :D

Jenaroph
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Dude. Ride of the Valkyries. Dude.

Zebra
05-27-2004, 09:33 AM
I've got two for you.

Secret Agent Man

or

the theme to Mission: Impossible

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 09:49 AM
From some of those choices, I bet some of y'all would gleefully push my sorry German ass out the door of the plane if I balked, huh? :eek:

That's okay, though. I appreciate gallows humor! :D

I'm riding out to the airport again Friday morning to check out one of their already-produced videos and see how it will be "programmed". I don't know if the guy plans to film me on the ground getting "jump-schooled" or if it's just me when I leave the plane and free-fall.

Good thing I been doin' my "Kegels"! :cool:

Q

detop
05-27-2004, 10:04 AM
That's okay, though. I appreciate gallows humor! :D

Glad you liked it, so, here is its
companion song (http://327gir.com/GliderRiderSong.html)

Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party
05-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Winston Smith
05-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie.

verbenabeast
05-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Kickstart my Heart Motley Crue

Summer Song or any of a dozen other Joe Satriani songs

Miserlou Dick Dale and the Del-tones

Jenaroph
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
10:33
Dude. Ride of the Valkyries. Dude.
*5 posts later*
11:14
Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie.

More evidence that my posts are, in fact, invisible. *sigh*

Etherman
05-27-2004, 10:33 AM
That's okay, though. I appreciate gallows humor!

So how about It's raining men?

How long is the video? Can you have more than one song? I was gonna say Pipeline too, but the SRV version.

Bruce_Daddy
05-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Etherman, I so hate you. You beat me by 2 minutes.

Ponder Stibbons
05-27-2004, 10:45 AM
I don't know about music, but if you could track down and watch the old classic WKRP Thanksgiving Turkey episode it'd be perfect. Ah! Les Nesman's lyric and poetic descriptions of the event! Perfect to get you in the mood for getting in and subsequently jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

BonoVox
05-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Jump, M*therF*cker, Jump. No idea who made the song.

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I don't know about music, but if you could track down and watch the old classic WKRP Thanksgiving Turkey episode it'd be perfect. Ah! Les Nesman's lyric and poetic descriptions of the event! Perfect to get you in the mood for getting in and subsequently jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

"They're hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!!!!!"

and the classic

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!"

Right?

:)

Q

Bumbazine
05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Quasi is grateful that none of you have suggested The Surfaris' Wipe Out!
That's right Quasi, spoil all my fun! :p That was the first thing I thought of.
The second thing I thought of was Ride of the Valkyries.

If it was me, however, I'd probably elect A Whiter Shade of Pale, (The David Lanz instrumental version), 'cause that's what I'd look like if I ever jumped out of a perfectly good airplane.

Zebra
05-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Jump, M*therF*cker, Jump. No idea who made the song.

Are you thinking Jump by Van Halen? (with David Lee Roth)

I though it was Jump, might as well Jump and Jump Maxwell Jump. He may have said Mother%@#@er Jump in concert.

lieu
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
When they video'd my dive, they gave me the option of several songs and artists. I chose Nirvana's Come As You Are for the preflight scenes and Hendrix's Purple Haze for the jump and descent.

Now, and this was purely by accident, the absolute best part about it was that right as the freefall was over and my chute deploys hanging me in space, the song got to the point in the lyrics where Jimi says "Excuse me while I kiss the sky...".

Waycool.

fishbicycle
05-27-2004, 02:03 PM
How about Led Zeppelin's "Achilles' Last Stand"?

Or maybe The Beatles' "Help!"

meek
05-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Flying High Again.

Ozzie

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 02:56 PM
The folks at the Skydiving place want me to bring my friends.

The folks who are my friends are right here, and y'all are kinda spread out, aren't ya'?;) The other friends are in Germany, and the folks I work with think I've gone off my rocker! :D (They don't understand why I have to face my fear of heights by jumping out of a plane! :D)

So if y'all will send a thought or two my way that Saturday, I'd appeciate it, and once I get the pictures developed I'll link you to the photo page and we can all have a laugh.

I have to be there at 10:15, but I'm told that no one can say for sure when the flight will be, depending on the weather and how many other fools (er, folks) will be jumping that day.

Depending on how the video will be put together, I'm thinking there may be more than one winner in my little theme song contest!

Helter Skelter is okay, except we'd have to fade the last two lines, right?

Thanks

Q

Indygrrl
05-27-2004, 03:04 PM
No Leaf Clover, by Metallica was playing at the drop zone the first time I ever went skydiving. It was perfect.

"Says it feels right this time
Turn around, found new high lights
Good day to be alive Sir
Good day to be alive, he said....."

plnnr
05-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Surf music?

You need to find an album by Laika and the Cosmonauts. An incredibly great surf band from Finland.

Like the Ramones, all of the songs are about two minutes long with lots and lots of whammy bar.

Quasimodem
05-27-2004, 03:45 PM
lieu my friend, how long was your video?

Looks like I may have to take some of my own cd's as this guy may not have what I will choose from your suggestions. As far as surf goes, I have the Dick Dale/SRV version of Pipeline.

I'll have to take my cd wallet with me to work tonight and go through some music.

(I also have Los StraitJackets)

Q

Beadalin
05-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm going to have to go with Supergrass's Cheapskate. The song RAWKS, and here's a sample lyric:
Lift me up, and move in closer
Holding on to what I know

She's the one who plays with fire
I see a side you'll never know
I need someone to be around
'Cause I'm breaking into life
Somebody stop me
'Cause I'm looking for my, looking for my high

BonoVox
05-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Are you thinking Jump by Van Halen? (with David Lee Roth)

I though it was Jump, might as well Jump and Jump Maxwell Jump. He may have said Mother%@#@er Jump in concert.

No, wasn't Van Halen. It was a techno type song in the early 90's.

Guinastasia
05-27-2004, 05:06 PM
"Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Or something from Lord of the Rings. Like one of the songs they play when the Rohirrim go charging into battle, or when Viggo starts yelling.

Yeah!

dbygawdcapn
05-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Geronimo - Link Wray

It has the driving drums and surf guitar to boot.

Suburban Plankton
05-27-2004, 07:56 PM
2. I am partial to Surf Guitar with drum solos

50 replies, and nobody has suggested "Wipeout"?

I prefer the Toy Dolls' version.

Quasimodem
05-28-2004, 04:41 PM
*5 posts later*

More evidence that my posts are, in fact, invisible. *sigh*

Dude. Wrong. Dude. ;)

I saw your post and Winston's, and I thank y'all, just like I thank everyone who made suggestions in this thread. A lot of the tunes I didn't know, but listened to today, and I made my choices . I based those choices partly on my personality and partly on what was suggested here. I know y'all won't be able to see the video or hear the screams (err...... music!;)), but when I tell y'all what I chose, I think you'll be okay with it, and it'll be a way to have my "buds" with me on my "maiden flight". :D

One of the tunes may take some "finding", but if it can be found, the whole thing will be perfect.

Oh, and I passed on Wipe Out, 'cause when I played drums back in my 60's groups, that damn song was always requested and I hated playing it. If I had chosen it, I think it might have gotten "back" at my hatred by making me "wipe out" for real! :eek:

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Q

Craneop2
05-28-2004, 08:38 PM
I can't remember who did it, but it came from one of those Top Gun type movies, I think the name is Danger zone or Hiway to the danger zone.

That would surely be on my video..

Lazlo
05-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Kenny Loggins?

Sami41
05-29-2004, 04:59 AM
I really wish I knew the name of the song or even the artist who did this, but I don't.

In Ferris Bueller's Day Off, they steal the ferrari and are speeding into the city while an incredibly cool song is playing. That is, I know, no help at all--but it is a good tune for driving fast and, I'd assume, freefalling. Anyone know the song or artist?

And yes, Kenny Loggins took a ride into the Danger Zone.

~S

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: quadruped carnivorous dinosaur kraft dinners gotjunk.com prices listerine alchohol 6 cylinders 1980s satellite dish tetanus shot hurts pamela reed imdb jesus nicknames indian greeting how wonderpets song chisholm bop departed ending explained schwab medallion signature guarantee bugs bunny dog pile on the rabbit difference between thousand island and russian dressing best shoe glue for soles post productions bob dylan why is william called bill origin of term shot of whiskey newlywed game in the but bob dolly parton playboy nude how to wink without squinting difference between 1 and 2 milk can you bring aspirin on a plane eat penguin shit you ass spelunker getting tires at walmart