View Full Version : I pit Glad "ODOR SHIELD" trashbags

06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
I grabbed some tall kitchen, trashbags the other other day, because they looked like my regular Glad, pull tie white kitchen trash bags that I have grown to know and trust over the years.

Opened one up and put it in the can and noiticed it had this strong, peculiar, perfumey, baby powderish odor. I looked on the bag and it said "ODOR SHIELD NEUTRALIZES ODOR".

"Oh well", I thought and went on my way. Later I came back into the kitchen and the while damn kitchen is absolutely suffused with this very strong, obnoxious "ODOR SHIELD" odor. It's awful and it's obnoxious. I'd almost rather have the honest smell of coffee grounds and old chicken skins and onions that this vile, overwhelming smell.

That's all.

06-30-2004, 09:24 AM
I heard something on TV the other night about how some fragrance items are actually creating toxic fumes in homes. I don't remember details, though. I've never like room deodorizers. Spraying Glade in a bathroom just leaves it smelling like a shitty Christmas tree.

06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
The trash can lid is my "odor shield".

06-30-2004, 11:09 AM
A friend of mine bought some sort of scented trash bags that triggered her allergies somethun' fierce. Because they didn't list "ingredients" on the box she wrote to the company, explained that the bags had caused an extremely strong allergic reaction, and asked if they could send her a list of the chemicals in the bags to help her identify which one(s) caused the reaction so that she could avoid those substances in the future.

They sent her a nice letter thanking her for her interest in StinkyBagsTM and several coupons . . . for more StinkyBagsTM.

06-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Last time I went on a camping trip I used one of those scented trash bags to put some pillows in... BIG MISTAKE!! I could hardly sleep the smell was so strong and it's not a scent that goes away quickly either!

Green Bean
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
The trash can lid is my "odor shield".My "odor shield" is taking the trash out in a timely manner.

Who's ordinary kitchen garbage smells bad, anyway? The only time I get a bad smell is if I've put in something like chicken bones, and then not taken it out for a few days. But the remedy for that odor problem is not some perfumed bag. It's for ME to practice better sanitation!

I bought some stinky bags once. I like to keep some small garbage bags in my son's diaper bag so I have something to carry his dirty diapers home in. One time, the only small-ish bags they had were some smelly "Ruffies," so I bought some, figuring they couldn't be that bad. They were. Not only did they infuse everything in the diaper bag with an incredibly foul odor, they also did absolutely nothing to contain poopy diaper odor! Yuck.

07-01-2004, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=astro]it had this strong, peculiar, perfumey, baby powderish odor[QUOTE]

Oh good lord. What is that chemical cocktail? I think they're using it for more than just trash bags.

Bought some maxi pads recently in a brand I don't normally buy, "Always" brand, and even though I specifically got the regular kind so they wouldn't be scented, they were. Nothing on the packaging about it. That description you gave fits the smell perfectly: a heavy cloying baby powderish odor. I made the mistake of giving it a try because I was in a fix at the time (and it didn't seem so bad at first), but damned if the stink wasn't like a huge cloud emmanating from my crotch!

That only lasted minutes before I had enough. Yuck.

Then I found out it seeped into my clothes! The whole area around the crotch of my pants was still stinking of that perfumey baby powder smell.

And when I changed clothes, I could still smell it!! It was on my skin! I had to run for the shower. Then I put my new set of clothes back on since I'd only worn them for a minute.

And then back into the shower (I'm not kidding) when I realized it had seeped into the new clothes, and from them got on my skin again!! AAHHHHH!!!!!! What the hell kind of chemicals are they using to make it so strong, it's like stink on steroids. I had to approach it like toxic hazardous waste to escape.

Whatever it's made from, I really think it's what hell smells like. A giant perfumey stinkbomb...

07-01-2004, 02:56 AM
I love those things. But then, I have three cats. Wrapping litter up in a Glad Odor-Free bag is a veritable delight!*

I admit that I'd prefer it the odor was a nice citrus/orange-y or even pine-y instead of baby powdery.

* Jeebus, I need to get a life. Badl-y.

07-01-2004, 10:05 AM
I despise scented tissues. You just end up with a greasy upper lip. And when you're in the stage where the odor of your own snot is overpowering to you, the "scent" clashes with it in a way that is simply unbearable.

Never understood deodorants, either. Anti-perspirant is the way to go. What good is it to deodorize if your shirt is soggy under the arms?

07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
I must agree with the OP.

Sometimes we throw out foodstuffs that begin to stink before I later remember they are in the can and take the bag outside. So, seeing the odor shield bags, I thought "what the heck", and purchased some.

Honestly, I think they smell worse than the trash.

Best Topics: horse mph paper wrinkled welsh characteristics fasting glucose 89 stanley kubrick autism catherine roerva pelzer quad pacer unprotected anal sex basic instinct crotch shooting paratroopers mofo mean ripping library cds cereal with strawberries 100 humidity hotel detectives pink ducks heighth definition straight dope cheap sas shoes what are bratwurst motorcycle engine sizes smell after sneeze neurotransmitter repletion psychologist couch carmax experience lfm air flow hr giger pronunciation insulate metal door hummingbird fight olive drab camo berk slang titans condoms zipperhead meaning michael gothard how far can a tsunami travel custard pudding and flan wordpad file size limit catholic school girls outfit trade my car for motorcycle dark shirts with suits what is a tongue piercing used for how to raise kittens to be friendly how long does it take for a fly to die shave 'em dry meaning integral sign with circle how do herbivores get protein aluminum free antiperspirant walmart how long does tabasco sauce last what happens if you don't pick up certified mail nudist beach in playa del carmen difference between ethyl and isopropyl fanny pack for working out saying i love you to a friend transmission shudder when accelerating does the military use ear protection in combat error printing windows 8 stores owned by gap best can chili for chili dogs ways to lower sperm count logitech x 530 adapter what is the difference between purple and violet switch to new tab automatically in chrome shitting where you eat best store bought pesto is it ok to eat the whole sunflower seed good car lot names warrant notice in mail cash register with credit card machine