PDA

View Full Version : Who had (has) tall babies?

Bad News Baboon
08-18-2004, 02:00 AM
My daughter is almost 8 months. Last time I went to the Doctor's she was in the 95th percentile. She was almost 30" when I measured her last month. Her weight and height are on par with each other and I am not worried at all. In fact, my dad's family is tall and so is my husband's family (although it seemed to have skipped us!).

I was just curious about those of you who also had/have tall babies.

When did they 'level' out in regards to their growth? Or did they?
How tall are they now? If they are adults, did they end up being tall?

My baby typically wears clothes for 12 - 18 months (however, baby clothes sizes being what they are, some say 3-6 months. Go figure).

What was most irksome is I bought her an exersaucer that stated "for children up to 1 year". I figured I would be able to use it for at least 3 or so more months. I had no idea that the safety usage of the toy was based on height and not age. I found that out when I read the instructions. Gee thanks, exersaucer people! Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

C3
08-18-2004, 02:45 AM
I'm not sure where my son is right now percentile-wise (he's 12 1/2 months and is 31 1/2"...I just measured him!), but at his doctor's appointments for 3/6/9 months, he was in the 50th percentile for weight and 95th for height.
[The reason I'm not sure is that we've moved out of the U.S. and at his 1 year appointment here, they weighed him but didn't measure him, and they didn't offer any stats...must be an American thing.]

Since he's not much older than your bub, I obviously can't share any stories about how he turned out to be 7 feet tall or anything. I can say that I was a tall baby, but I'm only 5'4" now. I was the tallest in my class until I stopped growing in 6th grade. My family is made up of average sized people.

I do share your frustration in buying clothes for him. He's in a size 1 here (he's outgrown most of the 18-24 month stuff we brought from the U.S.). The problem is, he's tall, but he's skinny. The size 1 pants are just long enough for him, but I have to find ones that won't fall down. Also, I don't think his arms are in proportion - if I find a bodysuit that fits his torso, the arms are almost always too long (and if there's extra fabric, he likes to chew it).

lee
08-18-2004, 06:29 AM
My daughter is now in the 75th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight. At her first year check up she was in the 95th for height and 90th for weight. While I am 5'2, KellyM was 6' when she was younger, so we have no idea how tall my daughter will be.

phall0106
08-18-2004, 07:25 AM
My son was born at 10 lbs, 4 oz, 21 inches long. He was consistently in the 95% for height, and about 75% in weight. He's now 10 years old.

All I can say is be prepared to buy lots and lots of shoes. Every time he goes to get the hotwater bottle because his "feet hurt", I want to cry because it means his feet are growing AGAIN. (He's already wearing a men's--US--size 10.) He eats like a horse. Last night, we had a good sized dinner, and less than 30 minutes later, he was in the kitchen popping a bag of microwave popcorn, of which he ate it all. We go through about 3 gallons of milk a week (most of it is drank by him), and he outgrows his clothing quicker than he can wear them out. Right now, he's all arms and legs, but I know when he starts to get thicker in the waist (and I don't mean fat), he'll soon experience a growing spurt.

I'm only 5 foot 5, but his father is 6 foot 1. No telling how tall he will be.

I am not looking forward to when he's between the ages of 13 and 17 when he REALLY starts growing (and eating).

Fern Forest
08-18-2004, 07:30 AM
My niece has been in the 95+ percentile range for most of her 5 years so we'll see what happens to her.

I was a very long and heavy baby boy. I was always the tallest kid in class by far and often the school. Now granted I grew up in Hawaii but still. For reference I was 5'9" just before I turned 13. I passed 6'4" at 17 and put on almost another inch over the year after that. My mother made our clothes and would let them out as needed so I don't think that was much of a problem. That and you really don't need too much clothing here. BTW I have a very tall family. My sister's the only one not to pass 5'11". She stopped half a foot short which she doesn't like.

Gail
08-18-2004, 07:50 AM
My daughter has always been tall for her age. She's now 10 and she's about 5' 2". But then, I'm 5'10" and her father is 6'2".

LateComer
08-18-2004, 08:13 AM
My daughter was born 21 1/2 inches long and is still well above the 95th percentile for her age. She's 20 months and at her 18 month check-up she was 35 inches, so she's well on her way to a yard, if not there yet. It is hard to buy clothes, especially ones that button at the crotch because she is somewhat disproportionately long in the torso. What will happen in the future? I suspect she will keep growing.

Why is she so tall? I'm 5' 10" and my wife is 5' 4" but both of our fathers are over 6 foot tall so I guess the genes for height are there somewhere.

Sometimes I think they need to update those percentile charts. I wonder if I would have been taller if my parents hadn't smoked around me when I was a kid (I'm 35) and looking at high school kids it seems sometimes that kids are taller than they were when I was young. Other times I see children who are clearly older than my daughter but are noticeably shorter and at those times I think the charts are probably accurate.

Eureka
08-18-2004, 08:28 AM
There is a family I know who had an interesting experience in the hospital. Dad is about 5'6" or 7, Mom is about 5'1", her roommate when she had her first son was 5'10" with a husband who was at least 6'0. Baby A, born to Mom and Dad, was 10 pounds 6 ounces, and appropriately long. Baby B, born to roommate and husband, was about 6 pounds. Pictures taken of the babies together show Baby A with his arm around Baby B's shoulder- like a big brother, little brother thing.
I don't know how big Baby B grew up to be, but Baby A is probably about 5'7".

Actually, this family is my brother's in-laws. It is always funny to see a family picture of them that has my brother in it. He is the one who doesn't belong, wrong hair color, too much hair (for a guy, and no, this does not mean that my brother has long hair, just not almost military short), and way too tall. Even my neice, less than 2 years old, looks just like her Mommy and Grandpa.

Eliahna
08-18-2004, 08:29 AM
My cousin Sharon was always tall as a child. My aunt heard that if you take a child's measurement on their second birthday and then double it, you'll get the child's final adult height. Using this method, they worked out that Sharon would grow to be six feet tall. In order to prepare her for this, they spent her entire childhood telling her she was going to be six feet tall someday. In the end, she stopped growing slightly short of the six foot mark (only a inch or two), and was very disappointed!

Just did a Google search for this and find they say to double the child's height at age two and add a little for a boy or subtract a little for a girl to get a rough idea of adult height. Guess my aunt didn't hear that last bit!

Ethilrist
08-18-2004, 08:59 AM
My kids were always tall, clear outside the curve. It caused our son a bit of a problem growing up because he was the height of kids 3-4 years older than he was. He's 16 now, and a little taller than me, which is good, because there were a few years there where he kept stealing my jeans from the clean laundry pile... now they're too short for him. :)

My recommendation if you're breeding 'em tall is to get them into gymnastics, dance, karate, something that teaches good posture. All the tall kids I knew growing up (including my brothers) walked around with bad posture and it looked sad and painful. Tall people with good posture are cool (there was a tall guy in the elevator at work today--he must have been seven feet tall... if he stood with his arms straight out from his side, I could have walked under them... I'm 5'9").

smartini
08-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Very good point, Ethilrist, my daughter is tall and very well-proportioned but posture is a weak point for her...even she acknowledges it as a problem and hard to overcome (she does a good job of it though...most of the time.) She really got interested and proficient in horseback riding ( she is grown now and continues )and I think that is also a great "posture reminder."

I was the youngest of 3 sisters and the tallest person in my whole family by age 12...I am 5'8". I remember my dad threatening to make me wear a back brace if I didn't "stand up straight" so my posture is very good. I think that is frequently an issue with taller people, esp. kids if they are the tallest person around.

My older sisters also harangued me by telling me I was adopted but I guess that is a different story...

:)

tanookie
08-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I have tall children myself...

My daughter turned 3 in May. She is 41 inches tall and 42 pounds. People mistake her for a 5 year old all the time. She wears a size 6 dress or a size 5 pants. She wears a toddler 11 1/2 shoe.

At my son's 9 month checkup he was 28 inches and 23 pounds. At birth he was 19 3/4 inches and 5 pounds 15 ounces. He was also 6 weeks early. He is currently in a 2T. People always ask why he isn't walking yet. He's trying but he is only 10 1/2 months old.

When people ask how old my kids are I always get a surprised "Oh - they are very tall!"

I always read the fine print on toy packages. We wanted to get one of those bouncer seats that hang in the doorway. The weight limit on them was 20 pounds. We decided to skip that as he was 18 pounds at the time.

I also tell people to not buy clothes without talking to me first.

These kids are going to eat us out of house and home when they become teenagers!

cher3
08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
My kids are 7 and 5 now. They were both very tall when they were born. (The nurse's comment when she gave me my son was "Congratulations on your 3-month-old.) Neither of them could ever use the so-called newborn diapers.

My daughter leveled out at about 3 or 4. She is now right around the 50th percentile in height. My son, at 5, is still quite a bit above average. His feet are bigger than his sister's.

The tricky part is that they are both string beans, so finding pants that are the right length, but not falling down around their ankles is a challenge.

I'm 5'9" and my husband is 6', so chances are they will both be above average.

gfloyd
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
I was tall when I was born. I was a tallish little kid. They told me I'd be pushing six even when stopped growing. This was all my mother's genes, as she's the shortest in her family, but her brothers are all well over six feet tall. Well, then my father's genes aparently took over. I'm about 5'6, which I suppose I can deal with, even though I carp about being shorter than they said I would be. What is beyond my comprehension is that I have trouble sometimes finding pants that are long enough. I'm average for a girl, or there abouts, why can't pants I want to buy ever come in an inseam over 29 inches?!?! Oh well, life can't be easy, then it wouldn't be any fun.

Gatopescado
08-18-2004, 01:28 PM
But us fathers know different! :D

My kid is off the chart hieght/length while still 60 or so for wieght. Good lookin' kid, for sure!

He can count to 100 and does the alphabet forward and back. Knows all the animal sounds. Can identify nearly all models of Ferraris, as well as most of his other toy cars. He can swim underwater (and sometimes above water!). He has two seasons of skiing under his belt. He can read many 3 letter words and spell his name (six letters).

He's not even 3 yet!!

Helena
08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
My sister was always a big kid (I'm not sure how big, exactly, but I could ask my mom). She's six-foot-two-and-a-half now.

Flutterby
08-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Last time I got him checked my son was in the 75th percentile on both weight and height (a couple weeks ago, if he wakes up soon I may take him to the weigh in clinic today) he's almost 8 months and is 20lbs 4oz and 28 and a half inches tall. I haven't encountered it but Mom keeps saying that people think he's around a year old.

He's probably going to be tall though as his father was around my height, and all the guys in my family are around 6'3. I'm tall myself at 6'1.

MsRobyn
08-18-2004, 02:33 PM
My two-year-old son is now around 34-35" and a bit over 30 lbs. He dwarfs the other kids in his daycare class and is regularly mistaken for a 4- or 5-year old when we go for walks.

It's been a bit difficult because he knows he's big and tends to identify with the pre-schoolers. He wants to play on the big kids' playground even though he's not really able to handle it from a developmental standpoint. Basically, he thinks he can, but can't.

Robin

jay-c
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
My son was 9 pounds, 2 ounces, and 22.5 inches at birth. Now, at 9 years old he is 5 feet tall, and weighs around 75 pounds. He wears a men's size 8 shoe. It's somewhat disconcerting to realize that he will probably overtake me in height before he reaches his teen years, but right now we both wear the same size shirts and shoes, so I'm enjoying the benefits of an increased wardrobe. :) He outgrows his clothes before he can wear them out, which makes great hand-me-downs for my sister's son. Her son is 6 months younger, and small for his age - nearly a foot shorter than my son. Most people are shocked to find out they're the same age.

My son's father is 6'6" and at 5'9", I'm considered the dwarf of my family. I have a grandfather that is 6'2", and another that is 6'5". We knew my son would probably be a giant from the get-go. What we didn't realize was the amount and cost of food required to keep that giant well-fed.

For those of you who mentioned that they had trouble finding pants that were long enough without falling off of their child - The Gap and Old Navy both have jeans with an adjustable elastic waistband (http://gap.com/html/shops/kids/adjust_pants.asp) built inside the jeans. You can pull the elastic as tight as you need. My son is so thin that he could fit into a boy's 6 in the waist, but he needs a 12 or 14 for the length. Without these jeans, he'd be stuck wearing belts all the time, or I'd be stuck with some serious tailoring bills.

lost hiker
08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
My daughter has consistantly been in the 90-95th percentile for height since birth, until her most recent check up. At 18 months, she has dropped slightly into the 80th percentile and I'm not sure were she ranks at 21 months.

I think tall babies may become tall adults, but not always and they all grow differently. My husband is 6'4 and I'm 5'8, so chances are she'll be tallish. Growing up, I was always the tallest or second tallest girl in school, but now as an adult I'm just slightly above average.

C3
08-18-2004, 06:26 PM
My two-year-old son is now around 34-35" and a bit over 30 lbs. He dwarfs the other kids in his daycare class and is regularly mistaken for a 4- or 5-year old when we go for walks.

It's been a bit difficult because he knows he's big and tends to identify with the pre-schoolers. He wants to play on the big kids' playground even though he's not really able to handle it from a developmental standpoint. Basically, he thinks he can, but can't.

Robin

I mentioned that I have a tall baby. Well, we have friends who have a son who was born five days before my son. He is a full head taller than my boy and is solid. Totally off the charts. His parents are already anticipating that this could be rough on him, because people (strangers!) have already commented about why he isn't walking yet. He just turned one (a few weeks ago) and is starting to take some steps, but isn't exactly running around yet. His parents are worried that by the time he's in school, people will be expecting him to be much more advanced than he's developmentally ready to be, because he's just so huge. My husband, though, is glad that these two boys will be growing up together - one outrageously huge friend never hurts.

tanookie
08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
I mentioned that I have a tall baby. Well, we have friends who have a son who was born five days before my son. He is a full head taller than my boy and is solid. Totally off the charts. His parents are already anticipating that this could be rough on him, because people (strangers!) have already commented about why he isn't walking yet. He just turned one (a few weeks ago) and is starting to take some steps, but isn't exactly running around yet. His parents are worried that by the time he's in school, people will be expecting him to be much more advanced than he's developmentally ready to be, because he's just so huge. My husband, though, is glad that these two boys will be growing up together - one outrageously huge friend never hurts.

I hate when people do that to my kids so I try hard not to pass judgement on other people's kids development. I get all the why isn't she walking/talking/whatever yet and then they find out how young they really are.

Elle Woods
08-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I must chime in with a contradictory story. A girl I know was 21-22 inches at birth, and as an 18 year-old, she is 4'11 - 5'0. As far as I know, she is very healthy (no problems that I know of that would inhibit growth). However, her mother was 5'3 and her father 5'5. She was always puzzled by her height as a newborn.

elfkin477
08-18-2004, 08:33 PM
My son was born at 10 lbs, 4 oz, 21 inches long. He was consistently in the 95% for height, and about 75% in weight. He's now 10 years old.

And on the other hand you have kids like my brother and I who started out big, but then weren't when they grew up. I was 8lbs 6oz and 22" at birth, which isn't little for a girl. By the time I was three I was far smaller than most other kids my age;I never really caught up and I'm now just under 5'4". Vynce was 10lbs 4oz and 22.5" at birth. He's 21 and now 5'10." I know he might grow a little more, but at 27 I sure won't. (ftr: Mom 5'2", Dad 6'2")

Abbie Carmichael
08-18-2004, 09:49 PM
I was a tall baby; 22.5 inches.

Now I'm 5'5".

MsRobyn
08-18-2004, 10:04 PM
I must chime in with a contradictory story. A girl I know was 21-22 inches at birth, and as an 18 year-old, she is 4'11 - 5'0. As far as I know, she is very healthy (no problems that I know of that would inhibit growth). However, her mother was 5'3 and her father 5'5. She was always puzzled by her height as a newborn.

My side of the family tends to be really short. My father is maybe 5'10", my mother is an even five feet, and my brother is 5'8". I'm the tallest woman anyone in my family knows about; I'm 5'7", and the best guess is I got my tall gene from a great-grandfather who was around six feet even.

Airman's family, OTOH, tends to be fairly tall. He's around 6'2" and his father is the shortest male at 5'10". He's got an uncle who's 6'5".

I'm guessing that Aaron will top out between six feet to 6'2". He'll be tall, but not extremely so.

Robin

astro
08-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Don' fret, according those these stats (http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/mammals/mandrill.html) your kid is coming along fine.

SIZES
Height Male, 28-30 in.
Tail length: 2-3 in.
Weight: Up to 120lb. Females are half the size and weight of males.
BREEDING
Sexual maturity: At least 4 years. Breeding season: Females come into estrus every 33 days.
Gestation: 30 weeks.
No. of young:1.
LIFESTYLE
Call: 3 calls: for contact, alarm, and banding together.
Habit: Sociable, diurnal.
Diet: Plants, fruits, roots, seeds, insects, small mammals.
Lifespan: Up to 46 years.

Bad News Baboon
08-19-2004, 12:33 AM
I get the age thing all the time.
People are surprised when I tell them that she is only (almost) 8 months old.
I think they expect her to be walking at least by now!

Clothes so far have not been too much of a hassle as she is proportionate. Her legs are on the long side, but that doesn't matter with dresses or onesies.

Tanookie:

I have this:
http://pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1776815

granted, it is 25 lbs max, but still, that little bit helps. It takes up a lot of space, but it's worth it to me. The door jumpers noid me out. I always picture the thing snapping off. That and the fact that I do not have a doorway that would work...

LateComer:

I don't know if it's too late, but you can buy onesies extenders:

http://onestepahead.com/product/27235/17/117.html

gfloyd:

Have you tried Landsend for longer inseams? They even hem for free! IIRC, their tall stuff can have an inseam up to 36".

To the rest of you, glad to hear I am not alone! I keep thinking she's going to end up the world's tallest woman!

Emilio Lizardo
08-19-2004, 08:26 AM
My son was 5 lbs, 10 oz and 19 1/2 inches at birth. At age 4 months, he was 15 lbs, 6 oz and 26 inches long. Its hard to predict the future at this age, but at this rate he'll be pretty big.

tanookie
08-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Tanookie:

I have this:
http://pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1776815

granted, it is 25 lbs max, but still, that little bit helps. It takes up a lot of space, but it's worth it to me. The door jumpers noid me out. I always picture the thing snapping off. That and the fact that I do not have a doorway that would work...

That's adorable! He's too big for that now though :( I will show that to everyone else in the family with little ones though! He's almost walking - just has to let go of the furniture. Anything confining just irritates him these days.

LateComer:

I don't know if it's too late, but you can buy onesies extenders:

http://onestepahead.com/product/27235/17/117.html

I found gerber makes onesies up to a 3T. They are hard to find but they do exist!

Best Topics: small areolas demesne ck2 pizza toaster pre hominids pilgrims beer copper faraday cage anal in car astigmatism glasses citizens departed rice cooker bubbling coloured dry ice chigger bites oozing popeye arms disease world publishing bible hat in school multimeter vs voltmeter make yourself pee gov't cheese sword metal kathleen turner smoking walmart code 15 tobytown md history montessori pre k dogs purring ms vs ma carmax negotiate grinding cast iron falling coconuts hanson soda definition of sadiddy rakkasans tori opie's mother wap derogatory batteries heating up johnson euphemism most money ever won on family feud song that starts with q auto dealership name ideas thirty five dollar check barnes and noble price match amazon 2 million pennies to dollars hot water coming from cold faucet finding nemo net scene bobby fischer 9/11 far side cow tools susan collins speech impediment with great mustache comes great responsibility how do atm cameras work lawn darts for sale ebay how to measure shoe laces how much is the rabies vaccine for humans cookie clicker breath of milk vs dragon god can't make a fist when i wake up nipples showing through fabric woot bag of crap history how to measure black pipe alternatives to whom it may concern golf sayings hit em straight what does rising senior mean how to eat mexican guava fruit how long can helicopters fly how many teats does a deer have violet and purple difference distance from schaumburg to chicago firsthand or first hand shave and a haircut 2 bits song giant poop in toilet why do i sneeze so much in a row