PDA

View Full Version : SNL question--Kenny Rogers

Indygrrl
01-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Last night they had a skit that was like a Kenny Rogers Apprentice type reality show.

In it they show his as acting all crazy and drunk and hitting the contestants. Maybe I'm out of the loop, but does Kenny Rogers really act like this? Even a little bit?

I've never heard of him being anything but a gentleman, but then, I don't exactly follow news surrounding KR.

If he doesn't actually act like that, he should sue or do something to SNL. It was a really horrible portrayal of a man I've always thought was nice and gentlemanly.

So, someone, please inform me, is KR really an obnoxious, violent, drunk?

cheddarsnax
01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that was MAD TV.

Indygrrl
01-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that was MAD TV.

Yeah, you're right. Well, still, same question, but substitute SNL with Mad TV.

Thanks for making me feel stoopid. :D

pizzabrat
01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
This doesn't answer your question directly, but MAD TV had a similar portrayal of Kenny Rodgers. Will Sasso used to play him as a child-like lunatic. I always thought the joke was that the impersonation was based on absolutely nothing, like Tracy Morgan's Star Jones, or Family Guy's Margot Kidder. In fact, Will Sasso actually explained that that was the joke by playing Kenny Rodgers straight in one sketch, and saying basically exactly what you said (i.e. "Kenny Rodgers really doesn't act like that at all...he's really a perfect gentleman..."). So anyway, maybe SNL is aping MAD TV's gag.

pizzabrat
01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Welp, looks like I took too long to post last time, so just shortened what I said to "Will Sasso explained that the impression isn't really based on anything."

Indygrrl
01-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Cool, that's what I wanted to know.

It wasn't even a funny skit. I mean, if KR really did act that way, maybe it would be funny, but he was acting more like Don, from Don's Guns (local commercial) than KR in that skit.

Now, a skit about Don would be funny. Of course, only people from Indiana would get it, but still. :D

Mr. Blue Sky
01-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I posed this question a few months ago. My guess is that Kenny Rogers is so bland that Sasso had to go to the exact opposite of the spectrum.

Otto
01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Kenny Rogers' Jackass, before they played it out, was the funniest damn thing MadTV ever did.

pokey
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
based on absolutely nothing, like Tracy Morgan's Star Jones, or Family Guy's Margot Kidder
I think the Margot Kidder thing might be because she went crazy and was found in the bushes one time. It was 5 years ago or so. She is bipolar or something. She got better again.

F. U. Shakespeare
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine paid an obscene sum for a golfing vacation that had advertised Kenny Rogers as 'celebrity host' or some such that indicated that you'd get to rub elbows with him.

He said Kenny was aloof as all hell. He wasn't mean or crazy, but he obviously didn't want to be around 'commoners'.

Mr. Blue Sky
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I think the Margot Kidder thing might be because she went crazy and was found in the bushes one time. It was 5 years ago or so. She is bipolar or something. She got better again.

Actually it was in 1996:

In 1996, when Margot was going to write a biography of herself, she began to get paranoid, and her computer contracted a virus. Her manic depression, then took its toll. She panicked, and created problems in her head. This led to her fantasizing that her first husband was going to kill her, so she left her home, and feigned death. She even altered her appearance for dramatic effect. After an intervention took place, Margot got back on her feet and started the mental wellness campaign.

pokey
01-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Actually it was in 1996:
It seems like only yesterday! Time flies when Margot Kidder is going loony.

RumMunkey
01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
If I may:

-It was Mad TV, not SNL.
-It was Will Sasso's "Kenny Rogers" -he was on as a "Special Guest".

Indygrrl
01-31-2005, 03:19 PM
If I may:

-It was Mad TV, not SNL.
-It was Will Sasso's "Kenny Rogers" -he was on as a "Special Guest".

Geez, I already acknowledged the error. :rolleyes:

Well, it was about the dumbest skit ever, especially now that I know for sure Kenny Rogers is not a violent, drunk, redneck. I wouldn't put up with that if I werehim.

Guinastasia
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Geez, I already acknowledged the error. :rolleyes:

Well, it was about the dumbest skit ever, especially now that I know for sure Kenny Rogers is not a violent, drunk, redneck. I wouldn't put up with that if I werehim.

What's he going to do about it? I would think that because it's obviously a parody, it's considered protected speech. Hey-Hustler once published a fake confession by Jerry Falwell that he lost his virginity to his own mother in their outhouse. Falwell tried to sue-and lost because it was parody, and thus, considered protected.

Augie
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
There was something creepy in Kenny Roger's past that made the news about 10 years ago.
Something about phone sex.
Anyone else remember?

Best Topics: tired of food frontline bath parked plane opposite of hoarder 100 commision oxycodone cough song cannonball hardwater soap sultry man overpriced items taste deaf samuel vimes quotes philadelphia uncirculated penny smoke shop profits hentai costumes armani mania discontinued illyria angel pigion poison mrs susie niggermania forums gc conversion factor al oxa car popping noise scary usernames p 32 psa card facts pronounce thuy holly sherwood spell touque thick asian nipples jackie swanson naked should i tell my employer where i am going when i resign 2003 chrysler pt cruiser mpg bird hitting window superstition brake fluid in power steering reservoir non drowsy allergy medicine makes me drowsy iomega zip drive parallel to usb cable why is printer in error state anais anais perfume pronunciation why is anime so popular in the west adding fonts to photoshop cs6 how long do fingerprints last on paper solar powered fan for cars why is the toilet called the head grow tomatoes on balcony can a 22 kill late period on the pill how do you know if a check has cleared all sales are final policy duh duh duh duh da da da song don knotts ladies man carlo rossi blush wine reviews correct order of firefly rat poison pellets home depot apocalypse now french plantation why do dogs like their bum scratched why does polonius spy on laertes how to make yourself faint fast pearly dewdrops drops lyrics chevy prizm toyota corolla cost to drywall a ceiling pampered chef digital thermometer instructions