PDA

View Full Version : Double-Header Question: What do you call psychologists' couches and ...

YellowTail
04-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Question, the first: What do you call those couches you lay down on in psychologists' offices?

And, question the second, I'm thinking of writing some short stories of the one-sided dialog of a guy laying on that couch. Does anyone know of stories, novels, etc. that have already done that?

cher3
04-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, I've studied psychology and never heard them referred to as anything other than a "couch." I don't know how heavily they are employed in therapy any more. There aren't a great many straight Freudian types left.

betenoir
04-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Well...at the risk of giving away the ending, I guess you could say all of Portnoy's Complaint takes place on a phychiatrist couch...

That said, the whole couch thing is associated with Freudian pychoanalysis (as practiced by Frued who was a physchatrist not a psychologist, for whatever that's worth). Most people in therapy these days do not lie down on couchs. (Except in New Yorker cartoons.) To the best of my knowledge there is no special name for the couch, but I can ask my mother (although she's not a Freudian).

RickQ
04-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Sitting on the couch is more accurate these days. My couch is too short to even lay down on.

gotpasswords
04-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Some (http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/39/6/11-b) simply say a Freudian couch is just a couch.

Others will call it a chaise longue - (pronounced chezz-lohng) literally "long chair"

kaylasdad99
04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I think you could view (I'll make this a spoiler, in case anyone hasn't read it)The Catcher in the Ryeas being a soliloquy-format novel, being told from the couch. It took me a couple of readings before I caughtHolden Caulfield'sallusions to the fact that he was talking to a psychoanalyst. Probably because the guy was annoying me so much that I wasn't concentrating.

The Scrivener
04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Aside from the Victorian one-sided ones, there's the modern 20th-C. classics by Van Der Rohe and Le Corbusier:

thumbnail pics (http://igrandimaestri.it/eng/chaiselongue-it.html)

picunurse
04-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Do you mean a fainting couch (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4364703292&category=4960)?

YellowTail
04-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Hmmm ... I guess I am thinking of the New Yorker cartoon-style psychiatrist's office, which often seem to be stuck in the 50s. Maybe I need to rethink my premise.

As usual, I'm enlightened by my fellow Dopers. Glad I renewed!

Yllaria
04-28-2005, 06:51 PM
There was an episode of "Maude" with her on the couch. The shrink didn't get a word in edgewise. In fact I'm not sure if you saw more than the back of his head. It's been awhile.

Best Topics: quack chiropractic legal size envelope touching strippers allmusic ad blocker do monkeys sweat sloped shoulders lasko ionizer fan king dong snack candle heaters edinburgh pronounced bleaching beard white purchase order abbreviation red mages lucas mccain rifle toilet heads sadity meaning songs wednesday match.com last online religion without afterlife fedex shredding what is hentai freshman beanies alabama dildo passive night vision heavener runestone dog ate crayon unclogging toilet drano pronounce anais home depot attire nypd detective uniform wrong address amazon sharon stone beaver sex multiple times in one night cetirizine and loratadine together can you survive a broken neck conjoined twins different gender top of feet numb what to do if ambien doesn't work fruit loops nintendo commercial angry orchard vs smith and forge remote ringer for cell phone salt concentration of blood cracked pvc pipe repair what does a goat say max fleischer vs walt disney night time chest congestion how to change font of footnotes in word whose who among american high school students cacciatore sauce in a jar runescape dungeons and dragons michael jordan gambling wiki how to buy plutonium ceiling fan making scraping noise ski bibs vs pants how to put batteries in university of phoenix teaching credential should acronyms be capitalized dog ate piece of onion does pillsbury frosting go bad how can you tell if a cat has been spayed sentence using all letters of the alphabet is the chicago citypass worth it gilligan's island filming location glue for rubber to plastic cuisinart griddler steak cooking times