PDA

View Full Version : What does gin go with, besides tonic?

Nunavut Boy
06-04-2005, 11:26 PM
I got a little bit of gin in the freezer, but no tonic. What else is commonly mixed with gin?

FaerieBeth
06-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Okay, this is not a drink, and it IS weird....

My grandmother used to soak raisins in gin*. Then she'd eat a certain number of them every night. She said it helped her arthritis.

So, I know that raisins and old ladies go with gin.
That didn't help you at all, did it?

*naturally, this was in a large mouth, glass mason jar

Campion
06-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Rose's lime juice plus gin (a bit more gin than the sweetened lime juice) makes a gin gimlet. Have any green olives? Gin is great mixed with olive juice. You can also do a faux martini -- just gin on the rocks (no vermouth). That's all I've got.

silenus
06-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Gin and OJ. Gin, OJ and grenadine. Gin and 7Up. Just off the top of my head.

Troy McClure SF
06-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Gin and OJ.

Part of the subset "gin and juice." (Indo optional.)

I will tell you that cola most definitely does not go with gin.

Nunavut Boy
06-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Okay, this is not a drink, and it IS weird....

My grandmother used to soak raisins in gin*. Then she'd eat a certain number of them every night. She said it helped her arthritis.

So, I know that raisins and old ladies go with gin.
That didn't help you at all, did it?

*naturally, this was in a large mouth, glass mason jar

Uhh..no, not helpful. But interesting! I'm gonna be like that when I'm old.

I'm off to try gin with OJ as per silenus' suggestion.

AncientHumanoid
06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Vermouth

Hunter Hawk
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Here's a couple I'm fond of:

Pegu Club Cocktail:

1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters
1 tsp lime juice
1/3 Cointreau
2/3 gin

Shake & strain into a cocktail glass.

French 75:

2/3 gin
1/3 lemon juice
1 spoonful powdered sugar

Pour into a tall glass with cracked ice; fill up with dry champagne.

And of course, there's always the Martini.

Fritz
06-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Gin and grapefruit juice is tasty and refreshing. Never tried it with OJ.

Aeschines
06-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Gin pinks is gin on the rocks with a dash of bitters. Angostura or Peychaud's works fine.

Very, very old gin drink. Think 18th century.

Audrey Levins
06-05-2005, 05:52 AM
The problem with gin is that either you like it or you don't. It's got a very distinctive flavor (originally grain spirits, i.e., vodka, flavored with juniper berries) and you either appreciate that flavor or you do not.

I personally can't stand gin.

However, as a bartender I will inform you that most people drink gin with

a.) tonic

b.) soda

c.) orange juice (the "juice" in "gin and juice")

d.) grapefruit

e.) Sprite/Seven/lemon-lime whatever.

Gin is also called for in Long Islands, Bahama Mamas, and a few other assorted "mixed cocktails" that it's highly unlikely you have the liquor/mixers for anyway. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Like I said, gin is one of those liquors that either you love or you hate; if it's in your freezer, and you want to drink it, I hope you like it, because you cannot disguise the flavor of gin regardless of what you mix it with.

parthenokinesis
06-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Personally I was fond of gin in my Bloody Mary's. I have since switched to tequilla, but I would still drink gin over vodka.

Scissorjack
06-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Gin and grapefruit juice is tasty and refreshing. Never tried it with OJ.

Ditto that. It's also good with unsweetened pineapple juice.

QuickSilver
06-05-2005, 09:22 AM
This is a bit of work but:

Asian Mojito -

Make a simple syrup (water + sugar).
When it comes to boil, throw in some chopped fresh rosemary (no stems),
And sliced fesh ginger,
And lemon grass (sliced down center).
Boil gently until well infused (10-15 min).
Strain and Chill.

Serve with gin over ice with sprig of rosemary or mint and slice of lime.

Enjoy responsibly. :)

Arch Trout
06-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Gin and Bitter Lemon is a classic combo.

I also like Gin and Lucozade

gaucho
06-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Gin Gimlets and Gin Rickeys are both delicious.

don't ask
06-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I add a little to pumpkin soup - no one can pick what it is but they seem to like it.

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I saw a nice recipe on "The Alcoholic Chef" awhile back for Macaroni and Gin. Does that count?

Otherwise, gin and alcoholic hepatitis is not uncommon either.

Scumpup
06-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Gin and lemonade is nice on a summer's afternoon.

Nunavut Boy
06-05-2005, 11:06 AM
I saw a nice recipe on "The Alcoholic Chef" awhile back for Macaroni and Gin. Does that count?

Otherwise, gin and alcoholic hepatitis is not uncommon either.

Don't worry, my GGT last month was only 40 U/L. I'm good to go!

Duke of Rat
06-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Gin and CranRaspberry, about 2 parts CR to 1 gin.

Chefguy
06-05-2005, 11:29 AM
The problem with gin is that either you like it or you don't. It's got a very distinctive flavor (originally grain spirits, i.e., vodka, flavored with juniper berries) and you either appreciate that flavor or you do not.

Whatever gin may be, it is most certainly NOT "vodka flavored with juniper". The quality and flavor of gin varies wildly.

Gin derives its main characteristic flavor from juniper berries. In addition to juniper berries, other botanicals may be used, including angelica root, anise, coriander, caraway seeds, lime, lemon and orange peel, licorice, calmus, cardamom, cassia bark, orris root, and bitter almonds. The use and proportion of any of these botanicals in the gin formula is left to the producer, and the character and quality of the gin will depend to a great extent on the skill of the distiller in formulating his recipe. The more discerning producers formulate their aromatic ingredients on the basis of the essential oil content in the raw materials to assure a greater degree of product uniformity.

Alan Smithee
06-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I think the real question is "What does tonic water go with, besides gin?" (Gin obviously goes with lots of stuff.)

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Don't worry, my GGT last month was only 40 U/L. I'm good to go!
Better heed your ALT more than your GGT. I've seen hundreds of patients just in the last 3 years with significant ALT elevations and normal GGT. Granted, most were Hep C positive, but some were just from their alcohol consumption just before coming to be my patient! ;)

Metacom
06-05-2005, 08:14 PM
One of my favorite gin cocktails when I'm looking for a break from the standards is a "white lady": 2 parts gin, 1 part cointreau, 1 part lemon juice. FRESH lemon juice. Shake and serve up. Quite tasty.

Ace309
06-05-2005, 08:15 PM
I think the real question is "What does tonic water go with, besides gin?" (Gin obviously goes with lots of stuff.)
Vodka, including all manner of flavoured vodkas. Although I tend more toward the brown liquors and darker beers, I do keep a bottle of green apple Smirnoff to mix with tonic once in a while.

Alternatively, a splash of Rose's lime juice and a few dashes of bitters in a glass of tonic make a Southampton cocktail, which is for all intents and purposes non-alcoholic (although bitters are about 90 proof). One of my friends who recently celebrated his first month sober has been drinking cranberry and tonic when he goes out with me.

ouryL
06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Lime Coke

Odinoneeye
06-06-2005, 11:08 AM
When I was in college, I asked someone who was over 21 to get me some vodka, but he came back with gin.

My drink was dubbed "The Insect Repellent"

Gin and Mountain Dew. It smelled like the name, but didn't taste too bad.

BubbaDog
06-06-2005, 12:01 PM
What does gin go with, besides tonic?

More gin

sall you need

Mr. Moto
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Every summer I fortify myself with rum and tonics. I love gin and tonics too, but rum and tonics are a very, very refreshing drink.

Mix one up sometime and give it a try. I like Don Q rum myself, but it's mighty hard to find.

Best Topics: medieval cleavage sterile paper towels stretching nose lancing a hemorrhoid dog's anus swollen latino woman tip carpet installer malapropisms examples rent sex toys kolaczki wiki garlic sweat aggie values post empire nipple worm sulfer candle chloroform online define bukaki mexican sweater name dick clark pic wwii lighters buying laughing gas forign lady coors crucible konohana shuffle handbrake combine titles baba o'riley movie scandel warrior rue rutin gallium safety scary cthulhu matrix plot 1 pencils when to add detergent in washing machine aye yi yi yi mexican song lyrics my left earbud isn't working what is the strongest adhesive elevator buttons up down knee brace over or under pants why are land rovers so cheap is clockwork orange scary starting a comic book store i quit smoking and my breathing is worse angel devil shoulder cartoon 12 volt ac adapter radio shack clean dishes smell like wet dog if your pets were human son wears moms panties where to find scrap wood barnes and noble textbooks buyback how long can sour cream stay out feather like hair stretch marks i like pie origin uncle woody sanford and son which of these liquids has the highest viscosity listening to subliminal messages while sleeping the incredible edible egg song songs with la la la tivo without subscription hack ups lost package front door will a car battery recharge itself after being dead imitation crab meat price center channel car speakers