PDA

View Full Version : Another British pronunciation question.

wolfman
08-12-2005, 09:46 PM
More ignorance fighting needed.
I havn't seen it for a while, But James bond's fake last name in A View to a kill is always said as 'Sinjin Smythe". But later Walken looks him up on a computer and his name comes up as 'Saint John Smith'(I think, but I havn't seen in in a while it could be 'St. John')

That's one I never ran across before. Is Saint(or St.) John commonly called sinjin? Is it just a variation that some families with the name use? Are other Saint names similarly contracted? is Susan St. James called 'Susan Sinjum' over there?

Sarah Woodruff
08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
There's a character in Jane Eyre with the name of St James, and my English Lit lecturer, and every adaptation I've seen of the novel, called him "Sinjin".

ouryL
08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
More ignorance fighting needed.
I havn't seen it for a while, But James bond's fake last name in A View to a kill is always said as 'Sinjin Smythe". But later Walken looks him up on a computer and his name comes up as 'Saint John Smith'(I think, but I havn't seen in in a while it could be 'St. John')

That's one I never ran across before. Is Saint(or St.) John commonly called sinjin? Is it just a variation that some families with the name use? Are other Saint names similarly contracted? is Susan St. James called 'Susan Sinjum' over there?

This was also a joke. St. John Smythe was a well-known pseudonym for the Saint. :p

Sarah Woodruff
08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
There's a character in Jane Eyre with the name of St James, and my English Lit lecturer, and every adaptation I've seen of the novel, called him "Sinjin".
:smack: Actually it was St John - so "Sinjun."

GorillaMan
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Yep, "St John" as a surname is pronounced that way. The confusion this causes also crops up in Four Weddings and a Funeral (the name's uncommon enough cause many Brits problems, too).

Iguana Boy
08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
And don't forget St. John (Sinjin) Hawke (Stringfellow's brother) from Airwolf!

Not as classy as Jane Eyre, I know. Sorry....

RealityChuck
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Not to mention St. John Quincy from OK Crackerby (http://imdb.com/title/tt0058834/) (pronounced "sinjin quinzy").

Cunctator
08-13-2005, 03:16 AM
And Norman St John-Stevas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_St_John-Stevas,_Baron_St_John_of_Fawsley) (ennobled as Baron St John of Fawsley), the well-known British author, barrister and member of Parliament.

irishgirl
08-13-2005, 05:08 AM
It's one of those names like Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) or Cholmondeley (Chumley).

Just say Sinjun and don't worry about it.

seosamh
08-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Same sort of thing - when she was a young girl in Co. Laois (Ireland) in the 1930's, my mother knew an Anglo woman whose name was St Leger - pronounced "Sellinjer".

Cugel
08-13-2005, 07:35 AM
St. John Polevaulter (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheContradictionSketch)

Bytegeist
08-13-2005, 02:11 PM
It's one of those names like Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) or Cholmondeley (Chumley).

Or, "Alexander Luxury Yacht".

Staggerlee
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM

Just say Sinjun and don't worry about it.
These could be said to be examples of a 'shibboleth', the correct pronunciation of which confers a higher class status on the user.

av8rmike
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Or, "Alexander Luxury Yacht".
Raymond Luxury Yacht?

Bytegeist
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Raymond Luxury Yacht?
Damn, you're right, now that I check it. Don't know why I remembered "Alexander".

Thanks.

Best Topics: no body hair raw hamburger appetizer making a lake songs with seventeen is brandy sweet hurd windows warranty satyr vs faun limburger cheese recipe stevie nicks ass bjs renewal i5 amd equivalent doritos cost zaaz machine review australian national colors german wwii helicopter chkdsk slow dominos salami pizza swingline 67 electric forrest gump son a duel shrek says donkey pronunciation of nguyen gina gerson interview sniper laser 50ae vs 9mm procul harun joe schlabotnik baby deer meat qing oven phrygian song is adultfriendfinder legit teletubbies po doll vin location dying ain't much of a living questions to ask a deaf person should i jailbreak my firestick check with two names where to buy oak tag light green flying bug dead man fingers on crabs sanford and son junkyard location freezer fan not working over the counter medicine to stop runny nose best hair and eye color combination how much does a crane operator earn is a wild pitch an error how to pronounce nyugen how to fold a flag by yourself how often change brita filter how to pronounce amontillado can i print a fedex door tag why do cats like their chin scratched take prednisone all at once or throughout the day why does root beer foam with ice cream can you still buy mercurochrome fire alarm going off no reason mounting poster to foam board billy joel voice type does unemployment call your previous employer how often do you change a car battery chloe sevigny sucking cock putting salt in beer jeri ryan kate mulgrew a child called it movie on netflix how many years are between episode 3 and 4 can american citizens own property in mexico green shirt elvis costello