PDA

View Full Version : I love burnt popcorn--am I alone?

wonky
09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I just read a thread where someone complained about the smell of burnt popcorn.

I don't make popcorn at work, but when I make it at home, I love it when about half of the kernels are in that weird, indeterminate state between normal and burnt. Greyish brown and powdery, with a touch of farm-fresh butter!

So, am I alone in this?

Ludy
09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
yes

butler1850
09-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Burnt popcorn is an abomination.

The partly popped kernels (semi-duds) are delicious bits of crunchyness... If I could get a whole bag that would do that, I'd pay a big premium!

yellowval
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Uh, yeah. Freak.

;)

Kythereia
09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes. *odd look, shakes head*

PunditLisa
09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Why just last week I walked into a room at work, sniffed distastefully, then made a loud proclamation:

"Whoever burned the popcorn should be taken out and horse-whipped!"

Eat all the burnt popcorn you'd like. But don't make it at work. It's the olfactory equivalent of nails on the chalkboard.

picunurse
09-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I'll sign on. Yes, I like slightly burned popcorn, and I don't care who knows it! :D

wonky
09-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Solidarity! I am not an animaaaal!

Man With a Cat
09-28-2005, 02:09 PM
YES YES YES!!!!!

On the stove, I'll leave the pan on just about 10-15 seconds after I hear the popping stop, and I get a nice little bundle of browned/slightly blackened stuff at the bottom.

And, thanks to my superior culinary improvisational skills, I've also learned that if you just use a little less oil than you normally would, you'll still get a goodly number of half-popped, cracked open seeds.

All that, coated in yummery buttery goodness with too much salt.

:D

First person to say chlesterol gets bonked with my Whirley Pop TM (http://homeaccessorystore.com/orwhpoppopo.html)

if6was9
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I agree too! Those little half-opened, half-burnt kernals are my favorite. Burnt, fully-popped ones..... not so much.

False_God
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks to the prevalence of corn down here (and potatoes, but that's another story), Peruvians have developed hundreds of corn-based snacks. Currently my leading favorites are canchitas saladas, which are basically large corn kernels roasted until the insides pop and become powdery/dry/popcorny; but the outsides stay kerneled with a thin veneer of shell; and andinos, which can be best described as Corn Nuts on steroids -- each one is about the size of a quarter or even half-dollar and are slightly lighter and crispier than U.S. corn nuts.

wonky
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
My god. I need to go to Peru. Those sound amazing.

MacTech
09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Unto Nuggan, right?

then again, this Abomonation is pretty meaningless as *unpopped* popcorn as well as normal popped popcorn is an Abomonation unto Nuggan....

strangely enough, for some reason, Kettle Corn is *not* an abomonation unto Nuggan....

False_God
09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
My god. I need to go to Peru. Those sound amazing.
Email me your addy, they cost like a dollar down here.

dwyr
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM

The partly popped kernels (semi-duds) are delicious bits of crunchyness... If I could get a whole bag that would do that, I'd pay a big premium!

Like these? (http://popcornpopper.com/70435.html)

swampbear
09-28-2005, 06:52 PM
The half popped duds and the slightly singed kernels are wunnerful. However, the totally blackened ones are disgusting beyond what anybody should ever have to deal with.

False_God what you are describing sounds like its worth the price of a plane ticket to Peru alone.

Jake
09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I really like the burnt ones. Maybe my bod needs carbon?

whiterabbit
09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Burned popcorn?

Freaks.

YaWanna
09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Burned popcorn?

Freaks.

Zackly.

Loopydude
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
No man is an island...unless he's perverted enough to like burnt popcorn. Bleaghch!

Miss Violaceous
09-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Another vote for:

1. Slightly burned kernels are awesome!
2. Half-popped kernels are awesome!
3. Sightly burned, half-popped kernels are awesome awesome!
4. I burn my popcorn for just a smidge on purpose. :-D

Jurhael
09-28-2005, 07:38 PM
So, am I alone in this?

I think so. I burnt popcorn by accident about a week ago and the stench filled the house! Lasted for DAYS! :(

Giant_Spongess
09-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Singed, fine, but that powdery crap is DISGUSTING!

Guinastasia
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I don't like when it's totally black, crumbling to dust, but that singed, seared state? YUM!

I do agree though, the smell of burnt popcorn can get nauseating, even though it's delish.

Tio Gringo
09-29-2005, 12:43 AM
For those who like half-popped kernals may I introduce you to Pop Nots (http://popnots.com/).

Enjoy.

picunurse
09-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Rather than calling it burned, I think we should refer to it as nicely toasted to a gloden brown.

BTW those half popped, yummies are called old maids up here. Although, I have one wierd neighbor that calls them "Majors" (you, know, kernels... majors) :rolleyes:

butler1850
09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
dyer & EvilAsh Those look great!!! Now if I can get the accountant to let me buy "duds" at $1/oz. :D

-Butler

Mint Julep
09-29-2005, 05:47 PM
I like slightly burned popcorn.

congodwarf
09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Oh good lord. When I entered my office last Sunday, my poor nose was assaulted with the stench of totally burned popcorn. Apparently, my coworker has no nose. I felt sick all day. The stench was still there on Monday. The fact that she was eating it tells me that either she's a complete freak of nature or she's suffering from some deficiency which can only be cured with large quantities of carbon.

A. Who the hell eats popcorn at 8:00am?
B. Who the hell eats petrified popcorn at 8:00am?
C. Who the hell thinks it's polite to burn the crap out of popcorn at work, when they work in a small, windowless office?

Some people are just too rude for words.

So, no - I don't eat burned popcorn. I don't care if anyone else does either - so long as they don't make it at work.

Cheez_Whia
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Yup. I keep the microwave running for around 10-15 seconds after the popping stops. Just want it to be that grey-brown color. Yummy! :D

Loopydude
09-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I can maybe see "a little singed". But burnt? You know, like little-charcoal-briquettes burnt? Naaaasty. And the smell! That awful, awful smell! It's kind of amazing how badly burnt popcorn hits the nose.

ltfire
09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Yup. I keep the microwave running for around 10-15 seconds after the popping stops. Just want it to be that grey-brown color. Yummy! :D

Hell, I run the microwave through another full cycle, smoke pouring out the back, family screaming to open the windows..mmmm.

And, oh yeah..burnt bacon, so burnt that it shatters like glass when it hits the plate.

Oh..and burnt toast too.

I'll think of more later. :D

Cartooniverse
09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
--stands up hesitantly-- I'm Cartooniverse, and I adore half-burned popcorn. Not completely enflamed, but gently darkened. Perhaps a whisp or two is adequate.

Then, there was the time when the doorbell rang just as I was nuking a bag for the first time with a new microwave oven. Oh. That was priceless. Stranger at door, smoke billowing from kitchen, I run, run back, run past stranger, hurl smoking bag out into front yard then turn to face stranger with a pleasant wheezing smile. " So, what can I do for you? ". :D

Mmmmm. Better if it's half burned with buttery topping on it.

Cartooniverse

Evil Captor
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Add me to the half-burned popcorn fan club.

Tio Gringo
09-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention:

The brimstone-esque stench of Lucifer's foulest farts is a floral bouquet compared to the olfactory assault of burnt popcorn.

Cartooniverse
09-30-2005, 08:38 PM
EvilAsh? You're among friends.

Don't suppress. Tell us how you really feel.

:D

norinew
09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Y'all are strange. Burnt popcorn sucks. People who like burnt popcorn are freaks! :p

Salem
09-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Add another vote for slightly burnt popcorn and bacon. And the thin side of an english muffin, just around the edges. And the edges of a bagel. Not charred through to ashy, just slightly burnt. Like Jake said, I've wondered if there was some kind of nutritional deficiency or if it's just a taste thing.

SwafflesTV
02-06-2016, 09:34 AM
I had to create an account to post a reply, stating you are not alone.

I too enjoy the taste of burned popcorn, which is quite a weird thing to be sure, but nonetheless my lonesome delight.

Although I find the smell rather sickening. Could this be some sort of sadistic feature situated in the taste buds? That, I do not know. But I shall revel at this knowing that I am truly unique, but in good company at that.

HeXen
02-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Absolutely disgusting, even the smell of it.

However since we're on the subject, this my popcorn recipe:
Mix rendered butter, coconut oil and flavacol in kettle. Never adding anything afterwards as that will only make the flavor inconsistent but this method, once the desired parts are achieved per oz of kernels, it comes out very consistent and full of buttery flavor with each bite.

Magiver
02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
I just read a thread where someone complained about the smell of burnt popcorn.

I don't make popcorn at work, but when I make it at home, I love it when about half of the kernels are in that weird, indeterminate state between normal and burnt. Greyish brown and powdery, with a touch of farm-fresh butter!

So, am I alone in this? Yes. On behalf of your coworkers I thank you for not doing this at work.

It's a little known fact that burnt popcorn was the REAL cause of WW-I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated because he left Jiffy Pop on the stove too long.

LSLGuy
02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Burnt popcorn also tastes better after moldering for 10 long years in the graaaave!! :)

WF Tomba
02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
I liked burnt popcorn when I was a kid, but now I'm afraid it'll give me cancer.

Best Topics: minority report ending graphic equalizer wallpaper star wars trophy what neutralizes ammonia didactic pedagogy methane color listerine mouthwash walmart define qua juan pronounce youtube security certificate buy propofol plugged ringing ear darkest skinned people dark bluegrass sorel vs ugg van mural deepdiscount dvd dust my broom restoril for anxiety artillery mortar original aragorn tough noogies still make cheyenne soiled mattress disposal club baby seals beetlejuice sandworm gc gravity absentia movie explanation just lunch seattle homemade kerosene bruised spine clarity enhancement saving private ryan hitler youth knife a song of ice and fire cliff notes not at this address stamp where do fruit flies come from yahoo pre op urine test who stole the dude's car 1000 ways to die real deaths susan saint james on rock hudson robert kennedy jr speech impairment how did they make lieutenant dan legless arma 3 common sense media taco bell owned by pepsi what is rib meat in chicken nuggets nys dmv plate surrender garmin watch calorie counter does rogaine work for thinning hair in front building a generator box outlook gmail less secure app does mr olympia test for steroids horton hears a who allegory how to block a floyd rose difference between tacos and burritos difference between hiphop and r&b wamsutta acrylic thermal blanket king is ground beef still good if it turns brown billie holiday vocal range british ship naming conventions temporary checks wells fargo how to authorize someone on sprint account tapping into cast iron drain pipe stop signs in spanish can an aircraft carrier survive a hurricane can you lay laminate flooring over tile why is florida so cheap