PDA

View Full Version : Attention, American media: it's bestiality, not beastiality

commasense
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Two shows on TV tonight, Keith Olberman's Countdown and Boston Legal, had occasion to refer to people having sex with animals. (If you really must know, Olberman was reporting on Scooter Libby's novel The Apprentice, which apparently includes several such scenes, and Boston Legal featured a storyline in which Michael McKean played a man whose wife wanted to annul their marriage because he was having sex with a cow.)

Both these shows repeatedly used the word "beastiality" to describe humans having sex with animals.

There is no such word. It's "bestiality," with a short E. Please stop mispronouncing this word.

That is all.

Marley23
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Why pin this on the media? I've never heard anyone say it that way.

Q.E.D.
11-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Both pronunciations are acceptable, according to dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=bestiality).

Only Mostly Dead
11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Both pronunciations are acceptable, according to dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=bestiality).
Though it is notable that both are pronunciations of the spelling "bestiality." "Beastiality" would certainly be a no-no in the script.

TJdude825
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Though it is notable that both are pronunciations of the spelling "bestiality." "Beastiality" would certainly be a no-no in the script.
True, although it seems that the OP is complaining about punctuation, and most likely hasn't seen the scripts.

Shagnasty
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
"Beastiality" is the general term for the pastime. "Bestiality" means narrowing it down to those you gave you extra special pleasure.

I'm on the SDMB Gertrude, I'll be there in a minute....Rooow

Happy Lendervedder
11-08-2005, 11:05 PM
True, although it seems that the OP is complaining about punctuation, and most likely hasn't seen the scripts.

It's !be-stia;lity, not b(es)t:ial-it.y

Sofis
11-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Google gives 2 280 000 hits for "beastiality", and 2 640 000 hits for "bestiality". Seems like a well established spelling to me.
(That's not a work-safe google, BTW :D.)

Only Mostly Dead
11-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Google gives 2 280 000 hits for "beastiality", and 2 640 000 hits for "bestiality". Seems like a well established spelling to me.
(That's not a work-safe google, BTW :D.)
There's no excusing netizens' spellings, and after all we are supposed to be fighting ignorance. Why not a few other common misspellings, pulled from the top of my head first thing in the morning: "Wierd" gives 3,500,000 results, "Febuary" returns 2,160,000, and "Luv" (albeit with a few hits given to the stock symbol for Southwest Airlines) boasts 5,410,000.

Consult any legitmate dictionary, you will find "bestiality" but not "beastiality."

And I forgot to say in my previous post, I've always pronounced it "beast-iality." Seems like "best-iality" would have something to do with competition, desiring to be the best (pig fucker).

Sofis
11-09-2005, 07:20 AM
There's no excusing netizens' spellings, and after all we are supposed to be fighting ignorance. Why not a few other common misspellings, pulled from the top of my head first thing in the morning: "Wierd" gives 3,500,000 results, "Febuary" returns 2,160,000, and "Luv" (albeit with a few hits given to the stock symbol for Southwest Airlines) boasts 5,410,000.
However, "weird" gives 64 400 000, "february" 639 000 000 and "love" 488 000 000, each at least an order of magnitude greater than the misspellings. "Beastiality" and "bestiality" get almost the same number of hits. "It's not in the dictionary" is not a very compelling argument against it, in my opinion.

Sofis
11-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Interestingly, the difference when searching Google groups is larger: 710 000 hits for "bestiality" and 222 000 for "beastiality".

commasense
11-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Why pin this on the media? I've never heard anyone say it that way.Because I heard it mispronounced in two different television shows in one night. And because the media are supposed to get things right, even if the unwashed masses don't, half the time.

Both pronunciations are acceptable, according to dictionary.com.Screw that descriptivist B.S.! (Nothing personal, Q.E.D.)

It's !be-stia;lity, not b(es)t:ial-it.yI don't think so.

betenoir
11-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah but why is it bestiality? Obviously people write beastiality because it seems to make sense...beasts. Sex with beasts. I can't find an etymology for it, why would it be bestiality?

(A pervert I know says it's because it's the "best"....which is also how I remember to spell it right...but his attitude can't be the common one!)

commasense
11-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Yeah but why is it bestiality? Obviously people write beastiality because it seems to make sense...beasts. Sex with beasts. I can't find an etymology for it, why would it be bestiality?From the Latin bestia, beast.

Diogenes the Cynic
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah but why is it bestiality? Obviously people write beastiality because it seems to make sense...beasts. Sex with beasts. I can't find an etymology for it, why would it be bestiality?

(A pervert I know says it's because it's the "best"....which is also how I remember to spell it right...but his attitude can't be the common one!)
The Latin is bestia ("unthinking animal"). "Beast" is an OE spelling (along with the archaic "beest"), "bestial" comes from Latin through French.

LouisB
11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I can't locate my copy of Suttree right now, but if you guys are right, I think Cormac McCarthy got it wrong. If so, look for the world to end soon.

commasense
11-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I can't locate my copy of Suttree right now, but if you guys are right, I think Cormac McCarthy got it wrong. If so, look for the world to end soon.Huh?

The Weird One
11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Two shows on TV tonight, Keith Olberman's Countdown and Boston Legal, had occasion to refer to people having sex with animals. (If you really must know, Olberman was reporting on Scooter Libby's novel The Apprentice, which apparently includes several such scenes, and Boston Legal featured a storyline in which Michael McKean played a man whose wife wanted to annul their marriage because he was having sex with a cow.)

Both these shows repeatedly used the word "beastiality" to describe humans having sex with animals.

There is no such word. It's "bestiality," with a short E. Please stop mispronouncing this word.

That is all.
Damn! I can't believe I forgot to watch Boston Legal last night.

LouisB
11-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Huh?Read the book. McCarthy is one literate guy.

commasense
11-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Read the book. McCarthy is one literate guy.Okay. Thanks.

YaWanna
11-09-2005, 10:54 AM
On the other hand, it's Olbermann, with 2 n's.

Carry on.

RealityChuck
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Screw that descriptivist B.S.! .Why? Does it make more sense of one or two "experts" to contradict the usage of millions?

Fowler thought the "p" in "pneumonia" should be pronounced, because that was "correct." He was a real expert on language, but why should everyone else have to do it his way?

There's really no other sane way to deal with grammar. It doesn't work that way in any other field of study. Could you imagine a biologist saying, "The penguin mating habits are all wrong and they should do it the way I think is right?"

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
11-09-2005, 01:58 PM
The American media is hopeless; they get more and more inept each year. Lately, in any newsworthy criminal case where the defendant can't make bail, we hear of their being held in custody "on $x bail". What makes it ridiculous is that there is no bail, that's why the defendant's in jail!

betenoir
11-09-2005, 02:09 PM
"bestial" comes from Latin through French.

Ah. The French. I should have known. Bloody Normans. :D

ouryL
11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
and it's A Tolkien Bestiary (http://harbourpublishing.com/title/ATolkienBestiary), not Bestiality!!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: gaijin yakuza hobbit pumpkin barnyard cows airtight cereal containers gpc one d3x/dt3 thumper magic muscle nicknames charlie 70s show electric kettle uses dog ate spider paper shredder oil yusef kabira small multivitamins bruce don't bring me down public transportation to wrigley field i drank spoiled milk pumped a lot of pane do hotdogs go bad can i drink alcohol while taking bactrim blue bloods nicky annoying how to get a pet raven what do green valve stem caps mean can you keep whiskey in the freezer nuke it from orbit aliens