PDA

View Full Version : What is the largest container of vodka I can buy?

CynicalGabe
02-08-2006, 12:40 AM
I mean one that I can actually get at a store or through mail order. My roommate and I usually buy it by the 'handle' (1.75 liter), but those don't last very long. Is there a larger container I can get?

albertmdh
02-08-2006, 09:46 AM
I beleive the container you seek is called...

...Russia.

Ike Witt
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I've never seen anything bigger than 1.75 l. Does Cost-Co sell liquour, because that would be your best bet.
How long is the 1.75 lasting?

Shagnasty
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
It probably wouldn't be legal, but lab grade ethanol is available in containers of all sizes running up to the many gallon level. That is more of an Everclear substitute though. You would have to mix in the water yourself. That would roughly double to triple the yield that you started with.

ultrafilter
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
You could always buy multiple handles.

silenus
02-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Just buy a case of handles. Anything larger and you tend to spill more than you drink after a while. :D

bouv
02-08-2006, 11:03 AM
1) Buy watercooler

2) Buy lots of vodka

3) Empty water from jug, fill with vodka.

4) Enjoy.

CynicalGabe
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I've never seen anything bigger than 1.75 l. Does Cost-Co sell liquour, because that would be your best bet.
How long is the 1.75 lasting?

About a week.

I was hoping for something that would still fit in the freezer, like a 2 gallon size or something. The watercooler is a great idea, but I need to keep the vodka chilled.

albertmdh
02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
How about one of those Office grade watercoolers then, that keeps the water really freaking cold.

silenus
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
The largest commercial size produced is the 1.75. I've never seen a bar with anything bigger.

A handle a week? Just in case (http://aamonterey.org/). :D

UncleBeer
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Costco does indeed sell booze - at select locations anyway. But I've never seen liquor packaged in anything larger than the 1.75 liter bottle. I suppose you make a case purchase, tho. Six bottles make up a case.

lexi
02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I've seen Texas Mickeys (130-oz bottle) of rye - perhaps they sell ones of vodka too?

CynicalGabe
02-08-2006, 03:55 PM
A handle a week? Just in case (http://aamonterey.org/). :D
That is for alcoholics. I'm not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings.

LiveOnAPlane
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Uh, any Louisiana Dopers out there?

When we lived in New Iberia, I definitely remember some really large bottles of liquor in the grocery stores.

Unfortunately, that was in 1977 and I just do not remember if they were half gallons or gallons. Nor if any of them were Vodka, though I am sure they were.

Wish I could have been more definitive, sorry.

Shagnasty
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Uh, any Louisiana Dopers out there?

When we lived in New Iberia, I definitely remember some really large bottles of liquor in the grocery stores.

Unfortunately, that was in 1977 and I just do not remember if they were half gallons or gallons. Nor if any of them were Vodka, though I am sure they were.

Wish I could have been more definitive, sorry.

I am from Louisiana but I don't remember many giant bottles. You could buy Everclear (straight alcohol) in pretty big bottles and you would dilute by about half to get vodka so that would greatly increase the quanity.

I still say buy lab ethanol. You can buy that in really big cases and dilute it to make vodka. Friends will be impressed too when they come over. Most of it says 'Not for human consumption" on the side but that is a big fat trick to get suckered into paying liquor taxes. Non-meeting goers know better.

Troy McClure SF
02-08-2006, 04:22 PM
How about one of those Office grade watercoolers then, that keeps the water really freaking cold.
That's fucking brilliant.

02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Generally, any liquor wholesaler can order vodka by the barrel for you.

Probably a special order, though -- normally they order it already in retail size bottles. And in some states, you might need a license to buy that much.

Crandolph
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I beleive the container you seek is called...

...Russia.

Maybe not! (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/03/russia.vodka.reut/)

SmackFu
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
How about a refrigerator water dispenser with a tap, like this Rubbermaid one:
http://rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100033

Shagnasty
02-08-2006, 04:47 PM
How about a refrigerator water dispenser with a tap, like this Rubbermaid one:
http://rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100033

They also sell these (http://schiercompany.com/pictures/truck/33298a.jpg) at reasonable prices. You could drive it to get it filled at the distillery.

dalej42
02-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I've seen some bars where the well liquors are actually dispensed from the gun. Are they using a "keg" of vodka to dispense these with?

Jayrot
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I've seen some bars where the well liquors are actually dispensed from the gun. Are they using a "keg" of vodka to dispense these with?
Nope. Directly pipeline from Russia.

CynicalGabe
02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Nope. Directly pipeline from Russia.
In Soviet Russia, Vodka pipes you.

MaceMan
02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Shagnasty, I really hope you're not serious! I have to caution those considering your advice that most lab grade ethanol is "denatured," which means it has been adulterated by adding toxic chemicals like methanol, hydrocarbons, benzene, etc. (The reason they do this is to avoid the heavy taxes that our government mandates on all alcohol which can be consumed.) It definitely is NOT safe for human consumption. If you really have served this at parties, I hope that you were using 100% pure ethanol. It's probably still less expensive to just buy real vodka, than going for the pricey, unadulterated 200-proof lab-grade ethanol.

slaphead
02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
I mean one that I can actually get at a store or through mail order. My roommate and I usually buy it by the 'handle' (1.75 liter), but those don't last very long. Is there a larger container I can get?
Biggest I've seen was at Warsaw airport duty-free in the pre-EU days. 4 litre glass bottle with a handle moulded into the neck so you could take your entire spirits allowance on the plane in one convenient package.
Also available for whisky and gin. Seeing an entire shop stacked full of those was impressive, I tell you. I could hear my liver whimpering as I looked at them.

Shagnasty
02-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Shagnasty, I really hope you're not serious! I have to caution those considering your advice that most lab grade ethanol is "denatured," which means it has been adulterated by adding toxic chemicals like methanol, hydrocarbons, benzene, etc. (The reason they do this is to avoid the heavy taxes that our government mandates on all alcohol which can be consumed.) It definitely is NOT safe for human consumption. If you really have served this at parties, I hope that you were using 100% pure ethanol. It's probably still less expensive to just buy real vodka, than going for the pricey, unadulterated 200-proof lab-grade ethanol.

I was serious in a kidding sense. I worked in neuroscience labs that had cases of huge jugs of 90% ETOH and 95% ETOH. It was not denatured. I verified that carefully with other graduate students. Dentaturing would have screwed with our delicate experiments and that's why there is lab ethonal that isn't denatured.

I just thought of those when a question about "largest size" of an alcohol jug came up. 95% ETOH that is not dentaured is basically just a big jug of Everclear that you can turn into vodka just by mixng it with water.

I wouldn't recommend that approach for your daily drink straight ETOH is straight ETOH no matter how it comes boxed.

edwino
02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
They do this for another reason, as well. It is chemically impossible to make 100% ethanol using standard fractional distilling. That is because a 96% ethanol/water forms an azeotrope -- the boiling point is less than either water or ethanol as the two molecules break up the others' hydrogen bonding. One adds benzene, usually, to break the azeotrope and allow distillation greater than 96%.

So you are faced with a dilemma. Use 96% ethanol (usually with a green cap around here) and hope that it hasn't been denatured (to the best of my knowledge nothing is added to 96% ethanol), or use 100% ethanol (usually with the blue cap around here) which is supposed to be a pure reagent but probably does contain some benzene as well.

100% ethanol is kind of a waste, though, because it is hygroscopic and at least around here in the land of Gulf Coast humidity, it sucks water out of the air until it is an unknown percentage of water. So when precipitating nanomole amounts of DNA, it is always better to go with the known quantity and use 96% non-hygroscopic ethanol and adjust your mix accordingly.

Ender_Will
02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
This gizmo (http://tapmachine.com/main.html) would let you get several 1L bottles and keep them cold without using freezer space. It does claim that using anything other than Jaegermeister will void the warranty and possibly cause the machine to malfunction, but I think thats a load of malarky.

Best Topics: 203 areacode bloody mole kevin cosgrove call overdosing on nyquil avast ye mateys general tso pronounced guinea pig balls no fly underwear ear bud extensions shenandoah song denby dinnerware review store bought mushrooms elderly eating cat food how much does undercoating a truck cost item of clothing that starts with i how much does a brick of gold weigh in pounds jd salinger net worth leaving pizza out overnight how many quid in a pound fresnel lens steam generator how do i do combined shipping on ebay replace lenses in existing frames lenscrafters remove acoustic guitar bridge ernest borgnine bacon number pipe tobacco vs cigarette tobacco ryo