PDA

View Full Version : What happens to bugs that I vacuum?

DaveRaver
04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Do bugs die immediately from the force of the vacuum cleaner? Do they linger in the vacuum and suffer a long dusty death? Can they crawl out of the bag and back onto my floor?

Shagnasty
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I am pretty sure that there is a one-way valve on most vacuum cleaner that opens when it is sucking and then closes when it is turned off. This would mean that things generally cannot get out although the odd smart and industrious ant might.

I would also guess that most bugs are alive when they hit the bag. Bugs are tough and light and can withstand extreme forces pretty well.

Colophon
04-24-2006, 03:54 AM
They breed.

Breed, and plot their revenge.

Snickers
04-24-2006, 08:53 AM
My mother told me that vaccuum cleaner bags were treated with a pesticide, meaning that any alive bugs would die inside (which is good for me, but not so good for the spiders I vaccuum. I'm terrified of spiders, and the thought of them crawling back out is not a pleasant one.) Whether this is actually true or not, I don't know.

Now for your bagless vaccuums (of which there are more and more), I dunno. I doubt they'd be able to survive, however - seems pretty violent in there, regardless of size.

Lissa
04-24-2006, 09:01 AM
I work in a museum, and out back, we have a "pioneer log cabin" that tourists can go through. Because it's not constantly inhabited, every bug in this county treats it as a motel. The tiny lady-bug things are the worst. You'll go in there and see thousands of them.

Being a jill-of-all-trades around here, I was the one who got sent out to sweep them up. Afterwards, I could hear them crawling around in the bag. Now, that's a sound to give you the willies.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
04-24-2006, 09:21 AM
I work in a museum, and out back, we have a "pioneer log cabin" that tourists can go through. Because it's not constantly inhabited, every bug in this county treats it as a motel. The tiny lady-bug things are the worst. You'll go in there and see thousands of them.

Being a jill-of-all-trades around here, I was the one who got sent out to sweep them up. Afterwards, I could hear them crawling around in the bag. Now, that's a sound to give you the willies.

To deal with this, sprinkle a little soap powder on the floor, & vacuum it up.

Works like a charm.

And a strong solution of liquid soap, like Mr. Clean, & water, put into a spray pump or squirt gun makes a good insecticide.

Lissa
04-24-2006, 09:28 AM
To deal with this, sprinkle a little soap powder on the floor, & vacuum it up.

Works like a charm.

And a strong solution of liquid soap, like Mr. Clean, & water, put into a spray pump or squirt gun makes a good insecticide.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they wouldn't allow this. We're not permitted to use any carpet powders, or anything like that, out of fear that particles of it would be cast up into the air and settle on the surface of the artifacts.

kanicbird
04-24-2006, 09:29 AM
I would WAG that the bugs do survive the trip, but would die of dehydration.

Cluricaun
04-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Afterwards, I could hear them crawling around in the bag. Now, that's a sound to give you the willies.

We seem to have an Asian beetle problem here in the summer months, and one solution seems to be to hang these odd plastic bags from your trees and bushes, it attracts them in by the hundreds and then.......if you look close you can hear them all moving around, and the little bag positively writhes with their movement. Apparently then you get a flame thrower to finish them off or something, but I've never stuck around one long enough to see. Creepy.

WhyNot
04-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but they wouldn't allow this. We're not permitted to use any carpet powders, or anything like that, out of fear that particles of it would be cast up into the air and settle on the surface of the artifacts.
*shudders*

Do it in the alley then! Use some imagination.

(Mine's got the willies imagining that "scrabble, scrabble" sound.)

Lissa
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
*shudders*

Do it in the alley then! Use some imagination.

(Mine's got the willies imagining that "scrabble, scrabble" sound.)

Still can't do-- the powder could remain in the nooks and crannies of the vaccum.

What my curator did was to put the vaccuum bag into a trashbag and spray copious amounts of bug killer into it, sealing in the poisonous fumes. I'm sure they all died quickly.

Best Topics: unlicensed daycare rates waxing beards temporal dimension compton at night alphabetize titles volvo 240 safety sae net ohr scratch ticket carrom board maze typed written immune to poison removing stitches yourself prednisone without food gorilla rape human the indian sign ralph fiennes pronounced iron man plane sanvean lisa gerrard what is hentia sneeze arm pain cross jumper cables andrea gale shipwreck flan vs custard sell walnut tree boogers smell bad amused people 3m force field is wine distilled outercourse reddit poppy pods ebay captain typho pink chef knife dolcett comic summer school substitute teacher what size staples for chair upholstery is scare tactics fake what happens if you eat a battery nice to meet you synonym why do people like skyrim we are all made of stars moby comedian like mitch hedberg how long do you own a cemetery plot hooded justice and captain metropolis how can china ship to us so cheap lincoln navigator vs chevy tahoe is a wild pitch an error what does sap stand for on my tv probability of a intersection b how many mg of advil can i take how can you tell if a guy is circumcised why do british lose their accent when singing how to remove braces glue at home how much do brakes cost at midas how often to replace car battery how much does scotts lawn service cost missing a day of work without calling difference between russian dressing and thousand island dressing average height of houses thumbing your nose gesture tweety bird a boy or girl white stringy stuff in mouth after brushing teeth loose dogs in neighborhood does simply lemonade go bad can you fly with shaving cream going to see a man about a horse amazon package wrong address how many times was matt dillon shot can't get plastic nut off toilet seat