PDA

View Full Version : Will chlorine bleach serve as a "poor man's mosquito larvacide"? If not, What?

stuyguy
05-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a small tub that fills with rainwater after every downpour. I fear it will attract larvae-laying mosquitos, but it's a huge pain in the butt to drain. I want something that I can throw in there to kill any larvae that may appear in between drainings. Will chlorine bleach do the trick? If not, is there some other simple, cheap household product that will do the job? I expect to put a permanent end to this situation in the near future so I'm not really interested in buying something new or specialized for this problem. Thanks all.

CrankyAsAnOldMan
05-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Will chlorine bleach do the trick?

I know from experience that it will.

However, there may be reasons why you wouldn't want to do this. I'll leave it to others to answer that angle.

MLS
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Why not cover the tub? What's it there for anyway?

Will Repair
05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Oil works. It's lighter than water, rises to the top and suffocates the larva.

rabbit
05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Use biological control like mosquito dunks. It's a bacteria that kills mosquito larvae. Very useful. I had several bodies of water (2 ponds and 3 other pots serving as mini ponds) all perfect for mosquito breeding. Worked great for me.
Here's a link linky link (http://bugspray.com/catalog/products/page336.html) as an example.
I've found some variation of the same product pretty much every garden center that sells pond supplies.
Not expensive at all really and one container (I bought it in powder form) lasts a long time.

CynicalGabe
05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Oil works. It's lighter than water, rises to the top and suffocates the larva.

Ditto. Put a cup or so of cooking oil in there. That will stop them.

lissener
05-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Yes, oil works, but it leaves . . . an oily mess. Bleach works fine, plus will keep algae down. It's also very unstable in water and will dissipate pretty quickly, so you'll need to do it with some frequency.

Or you could put a guppy or two in there.

capybara
05-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I was thinking goldfish.
Why do you have a tub collecting water?

Khadaji
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
How about a frog? I have a little fountain in my front yard that hosts a frog. I will probably get the dunks, because they say they won't hurt other wild life, but I was wondering if a frog will feast on those nasty little critters.

Rhubarb
05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Ditto. Put a cup or so of cooking oil in there. That will stop them.
The most common anti-mosquito treatment for standing water is mineral oil, rather than cooking oil. The cooking oil will doubtless work as well, but it is a food for many different organisms and will probably grow something nasty in your tub in addition to attracting ants and dogs.

Best Topics: creepy cemetery names enforced method acting trimming eyelashes self taught doctor chef boyardee tortellini floyd in space seminal piece breadstick cutter unemployment welfare hosed meaning chamomile tea pronunciation trivial pursuit meaning chinese housewarming gifts is hawaii oconus japanese nerds xfinity mac address water fizzle define jabroni close encounters tones doan back pills noonian soong japan lotte colophon cookware doors bassist nose deaf keyboard clit hardest castlevania james taylor genre prerequisites for calculus lunar synchronous orbit button stapler pronounce stephen curry competitive wrestling playboy party jokes pbs manor house where are they now crazy like a fox origin how to open a bostitch stapler proud mary keep on burning well slap my and call me what did indians smoke i can tie a knot in a cherry stem what is the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 how long do people stay drunk how fast does a 22 bullet travel what is difference between calzone and stromboli love peace and hair grease which ear is the straight ear sex in world of warcraft how to replace t1-11 siding zipper bottom stop for coat priya big bang theory annoying les nessman office walls package not due for delivery toilet sensor flush how it works popsicle in plastic tube joy in the morning movie 2000 american eagle silver dollar in full color my house smells like old lady can i use old stamps to send mail how many fish are in the ocean rachel moran paid for how to kill yourself with a razor how does an employer verify education tail light cover replacement cost daisy chaining power strips stamped concrete vs pavers patio please dont stand so close to me fluke 77 bn multimeter